Shopping Discussion

Lying customer caught, and still filed a further complaint.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2014 4:45 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Apr 15, 2006
4572 posts
126 upvotes
Chatham
GSRee wrote: Mind if I derail this thread? What's a good gift to give a mail carrier? The last couple years my wife has bought a nice box of chocolates, but last year she got a really awkwardly shaped box that must have been fun to have to carry around. My thought was a gift card but she hates those (my wife, not the carrier).
a sex toy?
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2693 posts
240 upvotes
Markham
GSRee wrote: Mind if I derail this thread? What's a good gift to give a mail carrier? The last couple years my wife has bought a nice box of chocolates, but last year she got a really awkwardly shaped box that must have been fun to have to carry around. My thought was a gift card but she hates those (my wife, not the carrier).
I'm giving my lady a $25 walmart gift card, but I also do a crapload of online shopping so she's delivering parcels quite often
Be Happy
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2693 posts
240 upvotes
Markham
SurplusPlus wrote: I'm generally on your side, and I too know how grating it is to get those constant passive aggressive well wishes.

However I will say you've posted a lot stories about customer and workplace conflict. You also claim you've never had a formal complaint over 20 years even though this thread itself indicates 2 complaints, one of which you directly caused. You reference "260,000" happy customers per year, but that doesn't jive with your 500-1500 "new" customers per week. And no offense, but dropping flyers at these addresses isn't really forming a strong customer bond. On the balance, I think you've way overstating your customer count and satisfaction level. Maybe not, but just telling you how it looks.

Why I say this is you exhibit two traits that concern me with respect to customer service: Extreme overconfidence and Self Satisfaction. Whenever a service organization thinks they're doing great, it usually tells me they aren't. Over-quoting their own numbers and metrics is another tip off.

However truly excellent customer service can only come when one accepts their own fallibility and is constantly seeking and accepting of improvement. Again - no offense - but that's not you. Don't take this too hard, I suspect you probably are good at what you do, but not as good as you think. A top flight delivery person would not have returned and antagonized that woman and withheld her package. That maybe makes you a post office folk hero or delivery vigilante, but it's not elite customer service.
To me a formal complaint about myself as an employee would be if I told someone on my route to F off, and they complained. Using an example today a lady asked me not to park in front of her house because "she doesn't like looking at my truck". I'd probably get a complaint if I said "Yea well, that's too bad isn't it. Close your eyes". Sure, TECHNICALLY there was a complaint put in me from this lady, but as I said, it was a complaint based on a lie, so is it really validated?

The 260,000 was a bit of a sarcastic jab. My history of Customer service doesn't really matter, the same as ALLCAPS.

Over confidence? Sure maybe. I don't see how difficult it is to do the job. Deliver parcels, mail & flyers to an address. if a misdelivery happens, I chalk it up to human error. No one is perfect. Self satisfaction? Not really. To be honest the only reason I posted this story here is because if you're a regular on the forums, you may see a new "canada post sucks" thread showing up once a week. I only shared it to show that Canada Post doesn't only suck, but sometimes the people receiving mail suck as well.

Again, no offense taken. As I said earlier, i'm confident in the fact that most people receiving mail are quite pleased when i'm on the route. I validate this based on the usual comments I get from people. I truly don't think it's that hard of a job if you stay organized. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's definitely manageable.
Be Happy
Banned
Jun 22, 2012
4737 posts
722 upvotes
Shhanada
beachdude wrote: To me a formal complaint about myself as an employee would be if I told someone on my route to F off, and they complained.
Well you're using your own non-standard definition of what a complaint is when you tell you have 20 years without a complaint
beachdude wrote: Using an example today a lady asked me not to park in front of her house because "she doesn't like looking at my truck".
I guess make that 259,999 "happy" customers then.
beachdude wrote: The 260,000 was a bit of a sarcastic jab.
Don't see how it was sarcastic, more of just a wild exaggeration.
beachdude wrote: My history of Customer service doesn't really matter, the same as ALLCAPS.
Well you gave his passive aggressive "customer service training" criticism validity when you mounted a big defense based on the size of your service record. Except by wildly overstating it, that backfired.
beachdude wrote: Over confidence? Sure maybe. I don't see how difficult it is to do the job. Deliver parcels, mail & flyers to an address. if a misdelivery happens, I chalk it up to human error. No one is perfect. Self satisfaction? Not really.
I would categorize you as a high performer, but not necessarily exception at customer service. You've written a lot about your confidence, but I think over confidence can inhibit ongoing improvement.
beachdude wrote: To be honest the only reason I posted this story here is because if you're a regular on the forums, you may see a new "canada post sucks" thread showing up once a week. I only shared it to show that Canada Post doesn't only suck, but sometimes the people receiving mail suck as well.
I have appreciated you bringing the back story of real life at Canada Post. People have no idea how good Canada Post service actually is, and unfortunately the false narrative has taken over to the extent that average Canadians are cheerfully standing by or actively helping kill CP. These people have no idea they are feeding a corporate mentality that will geometrically increase the cost of deliveries, kill jobs, and stuff even more money into corporate pockets. If you think UPS service is bad now and FedEx is already too expensive, just wait until Canada Post is in the palliative state the government is rushing towards.

Just today Canada Post quietly admitted to another profitable quarter, and this is even after upper management tried their hardest to create fake losses by purchasing all kinds of expensive goodies.

But 99 out 100 Canadians would think Canada Post is just a money losing black hole for tax dollars.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
I put a sign on the door "Surveillance Recording on Premises" I never got carded again. I actually do have security cameras though.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)