• Oct 24th, 2014 2:50 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Nice so they gave you the later 2014? I wonder how it games as well.

Steam is always increasing the nu ber of steamplayable games.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7445 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Supercooled wrote: Nice so they gave you the later 2014? I wonder how it games as well.

Steam is always increasing the nu ber of steamplayable games.
No, that's what I thought at first when I read the email, which is not what I wanted because then the memory upgrade I bought would have gone to waste AND I wouldn't have been able to upgrade the memory. But after calling in to get some clarification, they told me they are substituting it with a brand new late-2012 Mac Mini base model (instead of a refurbished one that I had originally ordered). So it was fine with me.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
rvs007 wrote: No, that's what I thought at first when I read the email, which is not what I wanted because then the memory upgrade I bought would have gone to waste AND I wouldn't have been able to upgrade the memory. But after calling in to get some clarification, they told me they are substituting it with a brand new late-2012 Mac Mini base model (instead of a refurbished one that I had originally ordered). So it was fine with me.
You cannot even order late 2012 on the apple store. I womder if they are available only in the b&m stores?

For me the only pro formthe revised model is the ability to run 4k. The old one may have a workaround though.
Feb 12, 2013
837 posts
96 upvotes
I've been holding out on a Mac Mini purchase for two years for the refresh. Needless to say, extremely disappointed in the 2014s. They are intentionally handicapping these units. The soldered on RAM sucks.. And dual core.. Seriously? You can still find a quad core BNIB 2012 model at Future Shop / Best Buy. I'd recommend you get that instead. They command high prices on eBay right now!

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like somebody snatched them all up from FS/BB now (they were still in stock two days ago for a 2012 i7 quad core for $799 I believe).

Staples still has them, but it'll cost you $939...

Build a CustoMac instead

I know you want to go away from a CustoMac, but I've been advised that it's now extremely simple to build one. You can find parts that are guaranteed to work over at tonymacx86.

Lifehacker also has "The Always Up-to-Date Guide to Building a Hackintosh (OS X 10.10)."

There's a great super tiny case from SilverStone called the FT-03 and FT-03 Mini that has that sand blasted aluminum feel of a Mac.. Seems like it's borrowed a few design cues as well. I've been mulling building a Hackintosh out of one of these for a while. The FT-03 Mini isn't much bigger than a GPU standing vertically. In fact, that's how it's mounted to the system if you look at the back of the unit.

[IMG]http://img.gnd-tech.com/w/2/FT03S-34View-1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.silverstonetek.com/images/pr ... iew-02.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.silverstonetek.com/images/go ... ension.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://static.pcinpact.com/images/bd/ne ... 3-mini.png[/IMG]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
He already explained why he didn't want a Hackintosh.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7445 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks jesuisdanny, maybe a few years ago, I would have considered this route, but now with two little kids, I just don't have time to tinker with a custom build. Thanks though, it looks interesting.
Feb 12, 2013
837 posts
96 upvotes
Either way, good luck! I'm in a similar position, but with the Mac Mini (2012) quad cores now sold out at Best Buy, it's now priced out of what I'd consider an affordable range based on what I've seen from other retailers. Maybe if and when the new ones ever get a quad core update, I'd reconsider. They're gouging us pretty badly with the ram.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7445 upvotes
Toronto, ON
on Friday the late-2012 mid-model i7 quad-core was briefly in stock in the refurbished store. At the time, I was still doing my research and mainly focusing on whether I want a Mac Mini or go all-in with the retina iMac. By the time I decided on the Mac Mini and realized the new generation Minis are all dual-core, the quad-core was already sold out.