Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28322 posts
823 upvotes

[Costco] MacBook Pro 15.4" at Costco with 2yr warranty - $1829.99

Apparently not so hot because it isn't Applecare [/sarcasm off].

You get a two year full Costco warranty as opposed to the One year "warranty" that Apple offers (90s Support only). Up to you.

Costco Canada is not an authorized dealer of Apple Canada Inc. Costco Canada provides the warranty on the Apple® products it sells.

Processor and Memory:
Intel® Core™ i7 quad-core processor, 2.0 GHz
6 MB Cache (shared)
4 GB (shared) DDR3 SDRAM
Drives:
500 GB Serial ATA, 5400 rpm
DVD±RW SuperMulti drive
Display and graphics:

15.4-in. HD display with LED backlight, 1440 x 900 (native)
Intel® HD 3000 Graphics and AMD Radeon HD 6490 with automatic graphics switching
Audio:
Stereo speakers with subwoofer
Omnidirectional microphone
External ports: audio line in minijack (digital / analogue), combined headphones / line in (digital / analogue)
Communication:
10/100/1000BASE-T gigabit Ethernet
WI-FI (IEEE 802.11 n specification)
FaceTime HD camera
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR wireless technology
Ports:
2 USB 2.0 ports
1 Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)
1 FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)
1 SDXC card slot
HDMI™ dual-link, DVI, VGA (adapters sold separately)
Operating System:
Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard (includes; iTunes, Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Developer Tools)
Power Supply:

Battery: Rechargeable, 77.5 watt-hour-lithium-polymer battery
Power supply: 85W MagSafe power adapter + power port
Specifications:
Dimensions (W x D x H):
36.4 cm x 24.9 cm x 2.41 cm
(14.35 in. x 9.82 in. x 0.95 in.)
Weight (approximate): 2.54 kg (5.6 lb.)
Warranty and Returns:
2 years
Returns accepted within 90 days from date of purchase
[Model MC721LL/A]

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... =C&topnav=
19 replies
Jan 13, 2005
774 posts
58 upvotes
Montreal
My bad. This is not 300$ less. It's 20$ less
Feb 28, 2004
141 posts
10 upvotes
Welland
That's a great deal, thanks for posting it.
May 13, 2003
280 posts
11 upvotes
KAN wrote:
Jun 13th, 2011 7:36 pm
I wonder how they can sell lower than apple ? 300$ less...

Less greed?...
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2481 posts
129 upvotes
York
KAN wrote:
Jun 13th, 2011 7:36 pm
I wonder how they can sell lower than apple ? 300$ less...

It's Costco. If they were selling it for $300 more and I really wanted a MacBook i'd pay the extra to get it from Costco (Not really, exaggerated example, but I would pay more for something from Costco than another store).
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
1433 posts
152 upvotes
Calgary
You beat me to posting this - I got too busy.
Saw instore in Calgary South.
I am a Windows fanboy but thought I would post this anyway:
There are two Mac's so maybe edit the title for both.

I asked the guy setting them up and he said it is a limited item and supply is low so YMMV

Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1009 posts
221 upvotes
I'm surprised that Macbooks are available at Costco. Three separate staffers, including a manager, told me that they were backing away from Apple products. Apparently it had to do with at least in part with Apple not accepting returned product. Does Costco even sell iTunes cards any more? One person did say it would likely be temporary until some arrangement can be made. Apple has nearly 10 times to market cap of Costco but the warehouses are huge movers of product.

As an aside, I still don't get the appeal of the Macbooks. We have two iPads and two iPods, in the house (plus my Transformer :) ) and they're great products. But it seems to me you need to really want something beyond functionality to foot the bill premium. I use Office, Adobe suite products, plus the normal assortment of everyday apps most of us use. All are cross platform. An uber laptop from most Tier 1 manufacturers is at least several hundreds less. There is not denying the cool factor. At my last conference I saw a strong Mac presence. Yet most of those users needed basic tools. Go figure.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5381 posts
362 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I guess Apple products are coming back to Costco. The iPods were avaliable again like two months ago and now their laptops. Still no iPads though, which caused the fall-out between Costco and Apple in the first place. From what I understand Apple didn't let Costco sell iPads so Costco pull all Apple branded stuff (including iTunes cards) off the stores.

The price is hot if you want a Macbook Pro, compare to even the refurbs from Apple store online.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Mar 27, 2003
111 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal
number8888 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2011 10:46 pm
I guess Apple products are coming back to Costco. The iPods were avaliable again like two months ago and now their laptops. Still no iPads though, which caused the fall-out between Costco and Apple in the first place. From what I understand Apple didn't let Costco sell iPads so Costco pull all Apple branded stuff (including iTunes cards) off the stores.

The price is hot if you want a Macbook Pro, compare to even the refurbs from Apple store online.

theyre not coming back officially, you can be certain that Apple hasn't authorized this sale just like Tag/Rolex/Omega don't authorize the sale of their watches at Costco either.

I'd say this is a limited time offer with an overstocked Apple reseller trying to liquidate stocks.. Im a little surprised Costco is able to offer warranty (im assuming it's getting this from the reseller, god knows how HE'S gonna be able to conduct repairs on unauthorized machines) but the deal is a solid deal nonetheless for people who don't need Apple's stamp of "authorized sale" approval..
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
2074 posts
616 upvotes
Victoria
hagbard wrote:
Jun 13th, 2011 6:43 pm
Apparently not so hot because it isn't Applecare [/sarcasm off].

Apparently you feel the need to create separate threads for (nearly) the same product.

The reason these deals are not hot is because they're barely any cheaper than the original price. A good warranty does not make a deal hot. A hot price + good warranty, yes.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28322 posts
823 upvotes
Deemo wrote:
Jun 13th, 2011 8:43 pm
You beat me to posting this - I got too busy.
Saw instore in Calgary South.
I am a Windows fanboy but thought I would post this anyway:
There are two Mac's so maybe edit the title for both.

I asked the guy setting them up and he said it is a limited item and supply is low so YMMV

Even better in Store!!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28322 posts
823 upvotes
cooper83 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2011 11:18 pm
Apparently you feel the need to create separate threads for (nearly) the same product.

The reason these deals are not hot is because they're barely any cheaper than the original price. A good warranty does not make a deal hot. A hot price + good warranty, yes.

No good deed goes unpunished I guess.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1897 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
I'm looking at purchasing a macbook, 13 inch. Is this better than the refurb ones? I heard the back to school promotions are coming in the next week or two ... is it better to wait?
× < >