• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2017 7:07 pm
[OP]
Nov 9, 2005
762 posts
385 upvotes
Toronto

MacBook Repair Shop in Toronto

So my mother-in-law spilled water on her 2016 MacBook Pro. After it dried, we find out it works fine plugged in with the AC adapter but the second you unplug it the computer shuts off.

I figure it's either the battery needs replacing or a component that monitors/charges the battery is kaput.

We bring it to the Apple store where she got it, it's still within the 1-year warranty (no extended warranty/Apple Care) but obviously liquid is not covered. They take a look and deem it non-repairable / not worth repairing and print off a piece of paper saying that.

I was shocked. They won't repair a WORKING computer to fix a battery charge issue? What a crock.

What is a legit MacBook repair store in Toronto I can get this fixed? I'd like to hear from experience with similar "non-repairable" issues or close to it.
8 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
12162 posts
990 upvotes
Toronto
It sounds like a battery problem.

Try this: disconnect the charger, disconnect the battery, connect the charger, and see if it turns itself on within a minute or two. If it does, it's probably time for a new battery.
[OP]
Nov 9, 2005
762 posts
385 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:34 pm
It sounds like a battery problem.

Try this: disconnect the charger, disconnect the battery, connect the charger, and see if it turns itself on within a minute or two. If it does, it's probably time for a new battery.
I don't know if it will even operate in full working order without a battery. It's a 2016 model where they made the battery "built-in" so you need to open up laptop and remove several separate battery cells.

I doubt Apple would turn us away if it was just a battery replacement though.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26150 posts
6047 upvotes
GTHA
Newpunk wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:07 pm
I don't know if it will even operate in full working order without a battery. It's a 2016 model where they made the battery "built-in" so you need to open up laptop and remove several separate battery cells.

Is this the late 2016 MacBook Pro 13" without the Touch Bar?

iFixit's teardown reveals how to disconnect the battery
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook ... down/72415
[OP]
Nov 9, 2005
762 posts
385 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:54 pm
Is this the late 2016 MacBook Pro 13" without the Touch Bar?

iFixit's teardown reveals how to disconnect the battery
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook ... down/72415
That should be the model. I'll double check the model to make sure in the system settings.

I'll have to find a replacement battery which will be a pain - so many knock-offs that I doubt will give me a comparable capacity...

I still have a feeling it's not the battery. I'll probably just contact Apple again to get a better analysis on what's wrong. I didn't speak to Apple myself so I just got everything broken telephone.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
12162 posts
990 upvotes
Toronto
You just need to disconnect the battery from the logic board.

Was the liquid spilled on or in the trackpad area? If yes, there are a lot of cables and that could have been affected too.

Battery replacements are more complicated because the battery is glued in place on the 2016 model and replacement is expensive through the apple store. They sometimes wind up changing the entire upper casing.

Since there is liquid damage, it is likely that apple will only perform a non-invasive diagnosis. Be prepared to have the apple employee tell you that it needs a new battery and logic board, if not more.

For a good battery, try ifixit or owc.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5040 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
The reason all companies make a big deal about waste damage is, corrosion!
Once it starts, it will continue until System fails. Only 100% way to fix is to replace all electronics / metal parts.
For Sale:
    Canon C100 + Canon 70-200 f2.8 + ...
Looking for: Sony Camera for video (for a good price)
Jun 10, 2003
584 posts
24 upvotes
Halifax
I would check kijiji for someone that does mainboard repairs, since the charger works that mean the battery charging circuit is working correctly. I would guess that the water ended up shorting out something and it blew a 0 ohm resistor or one of the diodes on the DC input is broken preventing the battery from powering the device. Get it cleaned in an ultrasonic bath to prevent any corrosion from slowly developing.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8247 posts
621 upvotes
Toronto
Newpunk wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:07 pm

It's apple. They'll turn you away and say not repairable so you buy a new one.