• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2019 6:14 pm
[OP]
Nov 22, 2009
663 posts
583 upvotes
Toronto

Macro, calorie and price budget-friendly food in the downtown core

What are you all eating to hit your protein and calories targets without killing the wallet?

I've got a decent setup and I thought I would share:

Mealpal - I just signed up recently with the 12 meals for $56 after tax offer. I've read recently that they have these offers fairly frequently throughout the year. I've just been going to Crave and picking whichever meal offer that has meat. Each salad itself is less than 500 calories (+100 with dressing), has ~25g of protein and carbs vary depending on if you get a carb or salad based box. It is a hefty meal and keeps me quite full for less than $5.

Marcellos - They offer 40% off of the tare pricing after 3pm. I go for the salads and try to get some chick peas or lean meat if they have any for the day. 1lb of food is $7.50ish. There is one at the Exchange Tower and one at King/University.

McDonald's - Use the mailer coupons when they are available for a $3-after tax breakfast sandwich. Bacon and egg McMuffin with no butter will provide 300 calories/16g of protein/29g of carbs (remove the cheese for -50 calories/-3g protein). Egg BLT on a plain bagel with no mayo or butter will provide 430 calories/22g of protein/29g of carbs. If you're on a big calorie deficit, this option should probably be avoided.

Ritual - if you've never signed up before, you can get referred by a friend or coworker for a $10 credit and they will have a bunch of new user offers for you.

Random Korean place - there's a hole-in-the-wall small Korean restaurant in the path near the Exchange/FCP. If you are standing in front of Porchetta, towards the right there is a hallway that leads down into another section of the path. To the right of this is a Freshii and the Korean place is beside it. Very decent portions for $7.50-$10. No nutritional info but not hard to workout.

Mr Souvlaki - located in the sketchy food court near the Sheridan Centre. $8.10 for a small pork souvlaki with a salad, sub out the rice and potatos for steamed vegetables. One pork skewer is about 180 calories for 21g of protein.

Supplement with home-cooked lunches and protein powder.
3 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
10564 posts
5215 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
We talking about Regina Downtown Core?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Nov 22, 2009
663 posts
583 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 1:59 pm
We talking about Regina Downtown Core?
Sure, do you know of any price conscious calorie friendly foods in the area that will hit my macro ratios?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2815 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
Bring oatmeal from bulk barn and store it at your office desk.
Mix one protein powder size scoop of it, plus 0.75 cup hot water.
Gently stir in 1 or 1.5 scoop of your favorite protein powder.

You can also add fruits, nuts, coconut chips, etc to the mix.

Another good recipe is greek yogurt + protein powder + fruits.

And you can also use unsweetened apple sauce instead of greek yogurt if you don't want to use the work fridge.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)