• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2018 11:12 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18899 posts
1328 upvotes
You know some of you guys are way too non-chalant about this - just FYI a Sharpie is no solution because it is trivial to wash off the sharpie ink leavving the original printed address.

The guy wants to anonymize the magazines, if he is concerned about it I assume he has a reason (worried about identity theft?) , and dismissing it outright and offering stupid obvious suggestions like sharpies doesn't help anyone, it just makes you look pompous.

To OP - if it is printed directly on the cover and not a label you can remove, then your only real option Either:

a) Cut out the address with scissors. Whoever you are donating them to hopefully should not mind that.

b) Use a more powerful compound like lacquer thinner and rubbing to try to dissolve the top shiny surface (and address) off the magazine. Doing would *probably* ruin the cover in that area anyway though, so you probably will still need to cut it out.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
292 upvotes
Midland
Yes, I don't know why the original poster is so concerned about the magazines being in 100% condition. They are used. If you just cut out your address or tear off the front or back page (where the address label is), why would it matter? The contents of the magazine are still intact.
Those on the receiving end of the used magazines will be thankful even if there is no front or back page.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
brunes wrote:
Jul 27th, 2008 9:22 pm
You know some of you guys are way too non-chalant about this - just FYI a Sharpie is no solution because it is trivial to wash off the sharpie ink leavving the original printed address.

The guy wants to anonymize the magazines, if he is concerned about it I assume he has a reason (worried about identity theft?) , and dismissing it outright and offering stupid obvious suggestions like sharpies doesn't help anyone, it just makes you look pompous.

To OP - if it is printed directly on the cover and not a label you can remove, then your only real option Either:

a) Cut out the address with scissors. Whoever you are donating them to hopefully should not mind that.

b) Use a more powerful compound like lacquer thinner and rubbing to try to dissolve the top shiny surface (and address) off the magazine. Doing would *probably* ruin the cover in that area anyway though, so you probably will still need to cut it out.
How can identity theft happen through information that is pretty much public to everyone at Canada Post?
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Oct 11, 2007
424 posts
Ontario
I had a similar problem when I bought those videos and such from that "special store" in Montreal :lol:
Didn't they find a bunch of "and such" in George Michael's car trunk a few years ago?
Sep 20, 2017
1 posts
There is a small tool that , when you roll it over the address, will ink out the entire patch. It's not a silly question. I have over a hundred magazines to donate to the local V.A. clinic. So, something easy makes sense. Especially with arthritic hands. I don't have the link or name but I saw it on The Grommet.
Feb 9, 2018
1 posts
Great idea...especially if donating..These labels provide important information about your identity. I would even suggest that the nature and types of the magazines you receive provide clues on your identity in ways that you never thought about. For example, if you belong to an organization and you receive their monthly magazine or newsletter with pre printed personal information and inserts, an identity thief can deduct the following conclusions:

1-Which organization you belong and locate its address, nature and type of organization, dues, required experience to join, genders allowed, its affiliations, web site, and contact info.

2-The organizations nature can in turn provide clues about you, your personality, habits, interests, and more. Personality, traits and habits play a big role in pretexting methods used in phishing and vishing scams.

3-Your credit worthiness can also be estimated based on your interests, subscriptions and organization dues.

4-Add your name and address to this picture and thieves have a good starting point if they have big plans and the means to execute them.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8214 posts
1442 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I used an utility knife and cutout the adresss but it just occurred to me that using a soldering iron or similar heat source can easily burn out the information
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1531 posts
307 upvotes
In almost any magazines I've read, there is absolutely no information on the back of the cover page - it's usually an ad. Depending on where you donate it to, you can use those envelope stickers to cover it - no one really peels them off on purpose. If you are truly worried as that option is not truly anonymous, the only option is to cut it out. I would personally not be offended by a free magazine that has a portion of the cover cut out.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8214 posts
1442 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Shining a bright flash light will reveal the text under the sticker but that's a good enough deterrent
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8724 posts
967 upvotes
Toronto
I actually understand why OP is asking. Shame on all of you that laughed and got into a fit.

Maybe there's a way with chemicals or something that removes it that OP didn't know about

Example:

Did you know there's a clean, non-destructive way to open your Hot Wheels cars from the packaging? I saw it on Youtube. Use rubbing alcohol to trace around on the backside of the carboard, that somehow dissolves the glue in the front, and the plastic clear case opens!

If you do only 3 sides, you can leave 1 side glued and you can re-use it to put the car back in !!

See, I didn't know this was possible.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1663 posts
261 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
grab a black marker, not the sharpie ones but the ones with the thick tip, run it over the address a few times, and it will cover it up. you can also ask the magazine publisher to mail your magazines to you with a plastic wrap on it with the address printed on the plastic wrap instead of the actual magazine, I have requested that in the past and the magazine inside is untouched
Hi