Shopping Discussion

Mail Processing at Canada Customs SLOW?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2023 2:57 pm
Jan 7, 2009
61 posts
93 upvotes

Mail Processing at Canada Customs SLOW?

I order quite the number of items off eBay in a month, and after so many packages from around the world i have grown a custom to having items arrive with in these time frames:

USA (USPS airmail): 7-10 business days
Hong Kong/ China (China Post airmail): 10 business days
Royal mail (UK): 5-7 business days

But for the past 2-3 weeks, items coming from any of these locations have taken an extra 6-8 business day for no apparent reason.

Any one also experience this in the york region area? Im suspecting backlogs at the Mississauga customs clearing plant.

:mad: annoying as hell as i expected some items i order to arrive before a trip in 2 weeks.
Thread Summary
In light of the recent mail delays from Asia, there has been a survey that collects dates of when the items were ordered, shipped, arrived in Canada and actually delivered. By contributing your experience to the following survey, we can determine what the average transit time to Canada is with different postal carriers.

Keep in mind, even if you are not experiencing delays with your mail order items, please do fill the survey out. By filling out the survey you can help other members of this forum to confirm that their theory of Canada Post's Management is indeed non-performing to their targets and are indeed playing games to paint a rosier of how well their operations are, but when in fact it isn't the case.

The Survey that collects the information can be accessed here:
https://goo.gl/forms/pD18OqnLkq1S18cm1

The spreadsheet can be accessed here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

If you experience regular international packets delivery delays in Canada, consider getting some content reply and possibly even move this matter resolution forward, by writing your concerns to these points of contact:

(Ce fil de discussion traite des délais de livraison de Postes Canada dans le traitement des colis internationaux, notamment des articles en provenance de Chine achetés sur des sites comme AliExpress et eBay.)
6834 replies
May 27, 2008
286 posts
13 upvotes
Ontario
Yes! I had a parcel take a full month from the US. I too usually get things in 7 to 10 days. The really annoying thing - my mom ordered from the same seller the same day. Hers arrived in 10 days, mine took a month. No sign of why my parcel took so long. It wasn't opened at customs, nor were there taxes owing.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2005
5213 posts
1231 upvotes
Burlington
I have experienced quite the opposite. Ever since the CND dollar is low in value my packages have arrived quicker. Seems not as many ordering online anymore.
May 3, 2008
256 posts
back last year at this time my products arrived faster now they are about 4-5 days slower so who knows
Jan 7, 2009
61 posts
93 upvotes
customs search random pallets of mail. But for the past 3 weeks, everysingle item coming in has delayed (6). Doesnt sound random at all, unless all 6 are on the same pallet, which I doubt since they are from different countries.

LOL I think big brother is on to me :0

But this is quite aggravating. 1-3 days more.... Sure, but 7?

I have had international mail come in for 4 yrs now, this is the first time this has happened.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11665 posts
3470 upvotes
Victoria
I also found packages were starting to come faster. Last year it'd take two weeks (10 business days) for most stuff to arrive. Its about 3 days short now (makes it in 10 days.. or 7ish business days).
Jan 7, 2009
61 posts
93 upvotes
zod wrote: I also found packages were starting to come faster. Last year it'd take two weeks (10 business days) for most stuff to arrive. Its about 3 days short now (makes it in 10 days.. or 7ish business days).
jesus christ, i hate you lol.

Where are you located? I assume the Mississauga customs plant services you as well?

This is really awkward then, could i be blacklisted?

A item just came in 5min ago in the mail, and it took 18 business days from Shanghai, which is the same time it took for another item to get here last week.

very awkward indeed.
Jan 7, 2009
61 posts
93 upvotes
Mail from the US seems to be on time, taking only 7 business days for a First Class USPS airmail package from Texas to arrive. But mail from China is still 15 business days + for no apparent reason.
Mar 19, 2009
1 posts
4 upvotes
What can we say! It is incredible, not only is CanadaPost the worst on planet Earth, but now we have Canada Customs adding to the already bad Canadapost's reputation. My university in the US sent me my college degree with a trackable number. The package is an enveloppe, not a box containing an expensive item or anything like that. There is a paper inside, yet it has been held for a week now in the Mississauga office of Canada Customs. I am not sure why Canada Customs feel they are above questioning, and are above the Canadian population. We can call the Post Office and ask a question regarding our mail (and they screw up so often), but we can not and are not allowed to call Canada Customs and enquire about our mail being held with them for no reason what so ever! If this was happening in a communist or a 3rd world country, we would see an outcry even here in Canada condemning the practice of those countries, but no one moves a finger here in Canada, and every body is happy getting screwed by incompetent employees at both Canada Post and Canada Customs.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11665 posts
3470 upvotes
Victoria
Ste_0 wrote: jesus christ, i hate you lol.

Where are you located? I assume the Mississauga customs plant services you as well?

This is really awkward then, could i be blacklisted?

A item just came in 5min ago in the mail, and it took 18 business days from Shanghai, which is the same time it took for another item to get here last week.

very awkward indeed.
I'm in Alberta.. maybe thats why?
Mar 6, 2006
683 posts
106 upvotes
Anyone in GTA area having the same problem as me?

it's been over 10 days since my parcel from Hong Kong @ the hands of custom.

2009/03/13 22:46 MISSISSAUGA, ON International item arrived in Canada and will be reviewed by Customs
2009/03/13 08:04 International item has left the origin country and is en route to Canada
2009/03/12 16:39 International item mailed in origin country
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2894 posts
334 upvotes
GTA
minilarkie wrote: Anyone in GTA area having the same problem as me?

it's been over 10 days since my parcel from Hong Kong @ the hands of custom.

2009/03/13 22:46 MISSISSAUGA, ON International item arrived in Canada and will be reviewed by Customs
2009/03/13 08:04 International item has left the origin country and is en route to Canada
2009/03/12 16:39 International item mailed in origin country
check mine out

Mar 6, 2006
683 posts
106 upvotes
WOW that's like 3 months. Is there anything we can do about this ? ie. call the custom office ?
Nov 23, 2006
194 posts
I bought a phone case off eBay, left California,USA on March 3rd and only got it TODAY... :mad: I dont know who's to blame, US postal or Canada post???
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5738 posts
1456 upvotes
I bought a laptop skin from California. The first time it took 5 business days. The last time in March it took 10!
This was via USPS/Canada Post.

I think it was Customs holding it up, but there's no way to tell for sure...

Acanac Internet 50/10 FTTN $36 24 months; $61 afterwards
Mar 6, 2006
683 posts
106 upvotes
Yea. must be the custom. As Canadapost usually are quick if it's a Express post parcel.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1633 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
No problems here. My DX order left HK on Mar13, arrived in Mississauga on Mar 17 and in my hands on Mar19
Dec 13, 2007
30 posts
Are they working 24/7?
I've an EMS mail(JUST AN BOOKLET!!), which sent from Hong Kong, and the current status is "International item arrived in Canada and will be reviewed by Customs" in MISSISSAUGA.
If they are not working 24/7, the customs will be reviewed it on Tue?
It's an urgent!!

Thanks
May 10, 2006
129 posts
75 upvotes
I've had a shipment of 5 medium sized boxes... seperate shipments. From HK/China.

All shipped around march 22th

2 made it through somewhat quickly (approx 1.5 weeks)
2 is stuck in Vancouver customs still
1 is still at Mississauga customs

I usually ship often and haven't had a problem... received 9 large shipments last year around this time and all cleared customs in 1-2 days no problem. This year there seems to be more of a delay and holdup i'm seeing. Seems a few extra days on smaller items and weeks or more with larger shipments.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)