• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2017 2:39 pm
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2009
642 posts
247 upvotes
User042404 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 4:39 pm
Please somebody tell me they are aware of these risks and have a backup plan. That is all I've been wondering about
Every seller is aware of eCommerce risks. Amazon gives buyers a hand, if you say you didn't get the item Amazon will debit the seller even if tracking shows the item was "delivered". This allows Amazon to get ahead of Ebay in US sales. You may say, if these big guys scam sellers who feed them, why shouldn't I? Yes, scams are unfortunate part of the world we live in, and most criminals don't give a damn about others. But this thread tells a different story, this is not a scammer experience exchange. Winking Face It looks you're missing one valid point - money is not everything. A drug lord may leave in a huge mansion and think he's a king, but reality is he's still a dirty low end criminal, not more no less, and the life he lives is a life of dirty criminal - not much human joy for most people on Earth. Interesting is, many such folks realize it, and protect own kids from getting involved.
Temp. Banned
Dec 27, 2016
80 posts
41 upvotes
arnycus wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 5:10 pm
Every seller is aware of eCommerce risks. Amazon gives buyers a hand, if you say you didn't get the item Amazon will debit the seller even if tracking shows the item was "delivered". This allows Amazon to get ahead of Ebay in US sales. You may say, if these big guys scam sellers who feed them, why shouldn't I? Yes, scams are unfortunate part of the world we live in, and most criminals don't give a damn about others. But this thread tells a different story, this is not a scammer experience exchange. Winking Face It looks you're missing one valid point - money is not everything. A drug lord may leave in a huge mansion and think he's a king, but reality is he's still a dirty low end criminal, not more no less, and the life he lives is a life of dirty criminal - not much human joy for most people on Earth.
That is very sad and cruel to these sellers. My mom ran a small convenience store kind of grocery store back home and when I was a kid one day she was sick and I was sitting by the stores window. It was more of a kiosk setup you cant enter the store but just ask at the front. I watched a guy steal, what he did was ask her to wrap up an item at the end of the store and while she was packing it, this guy would quickly shove things in his bag from the front and i saw this and screamed. Theres not a lot of margin back then on anything, if you sell something for 2 bucks, you will get like 2 cents profit that is all. We were struggling and it affected me massively that she was ripped off like that.

So everytime I see someone getting scammed it bothers me so much and if amazon is doing this to their sellers, that seems downright evil, who knows that these sellers had to go through to set up a business in amazon only to get ripped off by pathetic criminals who have no empathy towards others ripping off their hard earned money. I had no idea amazon does such things I thought they eat up any non delivered or delivery scams considering how huge they were.

I hope the future of the tracking systems have easily available GPS stickers that are so cheap to manufacture and each package gets a GPS sticker to put an end to this ridiculousness.

RANT OVER!!
Jan 4, 2017
286 posts
160 upvotes
Calgary
User042404 wrote:

Of course the packages wont say hello for 4 to 5 months, but still it will. At the 2nd month the scammer gets his investment money back from Paypal who really dont check anything, off shore call center agents dont care that much.
That's a cumbersome scheme to rely on sluggishness. If all the phones arrived on time - which happened until the mid November orders - the scammer would sit on a lot of phones. In my case, two of three more expensive shipments shipped via AE have never been tracked in Canada. This means that Chinese mail is not reliable (got lost in China in November) or the stuff has never been sent. Or Canada Post never touched the container. And then there are smaller, non-trackable items. Let's see whether they will all arrive...will be 130 days on Monday...last recorded change in tracking information on 17th Feb.
We came, we saw, we left!
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2009
642 posts
247 upvotes
User042404 wrote:
At the 2nd month the scammer gets his investment money back from Paypal who really dont check anything, off shore call center agents dont care that much.
You seems to have too many wrong assumptions. I'd say any financial system in such cases employs "car insurance" principle - the concept of sharing fault. It all depends how many incidents you get involved into. With each new incident your share of fault is growing, eventually to 100%, and gets converted to much higher premiums, as the outcome should be more and more predictable to you. There is a legal term "knew or should have known" - that's another way to put it. You may say - many folks get around it, and it may be true when running more complex schemes.
User042404 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 5:28 pm
if amazon is doing this to their sellers, that seems downright evil, who knows that these sellers had to go through to set up a business in amazon only to get ripped off by pathetic criminals who have no empathy towards others ripping off their hard earned money. I had no idea amazon does such things I thought they eat up any non delivered or delivery scams considering how huge they were.
That's may be why Amazon grown so huge - by "having no empathy", and playing on North Americans expectations of "good customer service" by unloading financial burden on sellers. Same is done by AliExpress when dealing with delayed item claims or false advertising of major sales while hiking prices. But then recall a subprime mortgage crisis a few years back - the banks themselves were causing it on purpose, giving mortgages to people who they "knew or should have known" would not be able to pay back. When it caused financial markets collapse, their investment clients get screwed, and the banks bailed out by taxpayer funds. That shows big boys aren't immune from being scammers, but rather immune from prosecution. Disappointed Face I wouldn't assume the same is true for small Paypal scammers you mentioned. Still fundamentals of our society are based on honest contribution of vast majority of people.
Last edited by arnycus on Mar 17th, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 6, 2002
889 posts
45 upvotes
thats it.... i can't handle the 3-4 months delivery time from china to canada. luckily i live relatively close to the US border and have a USPS postal box. i recently ordered similar items from aliexpress and used epacket (dirt cheap ~$0.40) and the item arrived in 8 days WITH tracking available. so i just wait for a few packages to accumulate and go pick it up. ... i think i am diverting all my shipments to US long as it's not too expensive (declaration factor)
Temp. Banned
Dec 27, 2016
80 posts
41 upvotes
fuc847 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 11:04 pm
thats it.... i can't handle the 3-4 months delivery time from china to canada. luckily i live relatively close to the US border and have a USPS postal box. i recently ordered similar items from aliexpress and used epacket (dirt cheap ~$0.40) and the item arrived in 8 days WITH tracking available. so i just wait for a few packages to accumulate and go pick it up. ... i think i am diverting all my shipments to US long as it's not too expensive (declaration factor)
Heyy are you serious??!! Quit rubbing it in lol what a jerk!! I dont have that luxury of living near the US border however I am saving 40 cents compared to you!
Feb 9, 2011
883 posts
129 upvotes
Montr
i got a few late november shipment arrived i had to give my signature to cp for cheap. items but their tracking is still saying dispatched..
Temp. Banned
Dec 27, 2016
80 posts
41 upvotes
Looks like there are services that hold packages for you in the US border near niagara. Wonder if its safe to ship there, for 10 bucks in a UPS store they keep your packages. will you be questioned if you re enter Canada after piicking up your items?
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2009
642 posts
247 upvotes
At any border crossing CBSA officers usually ask docs and if you buy or receive anything, and may check your vehicle on the spot or fully search it at their facility if they suspect anything or at random. Some tourists take personal goods with them like used bicycles, laptops or travel gear, and bring back home of course duty free, though some proof docs might be wise to carry. This site gives info for shoppers: Customs Allowances. In this scenario duty free limit for items you receive in the US at a UPS Store will likely be $200, but you better call to check. I don't think tourists are routinely strip searched at the border, but it may depend on how suspicious the pal looks. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

In large cities like Toronto or Montreal, there are small private mail companies which provide such service of dropping your mail across the border in the US, and delivering it back from a pickup location in the US. It might be cheaper and/or faster depending on parcel weight and dimensions. Some eCommerce sellers use them for regular volume shipments.
Last edited by arnycus on Mar 18th, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3407 posts
280 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
User042404 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 4:16 pm
Looks like there are services that hold packages for you in the US border near niagara. Wonder if its safe to ship there, for 10 bucks in a UPS store they keep your packages. will you be questioned if you re enter Canada after piicking up your items?
I use CBI USA. Never had an issue.
Temp. Banned
Dec 27, 2016
80 posts
41 upvotes
Typhoonz wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 8:38 pm
I use CBI USA. Never had an issue.
CBI USA LOOKS PERFECT!! I have a question, I am sooo nervous about crossing the border. I am a citizen of Canada for 2 years now, never been to the US before. So when I drive and cross the rainbow bridge, will they ask any questions?? I wonder if I need to tell them the purpose of my visit or entering the states. And if I say oh I will be back in 15 minutes I am just gonna go pick up a package at the UPS store 5 mins into the states. Won't they be suspecious and ask you well why do you need to ship to the states and not to your address in Toronto?

Will they ask me to declare the package when I return if I told them my visit is to pick up a package??
Will they even ask you any question? Can you please explain the process, I show my passport and then what??
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3407 posts
280 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
User042404 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 9:35 pm
CBI USA LOOKS PERFECT!! I have a question, I am sooo nervous about crossing the border. I am a citizen of Canada for 2 years now, never been to the US before. So when I drive and cross the rainbow bridge, will they ask any questions?? I wonder if I need to tell them the purpose of my visit or entering the states. And if I say oh I will be back in 15 minutes I am just gonna go pick up a package at the UPS store 5 mins into the states. Won't they be suspecious and ask you well why do you need to ship to the states and not to your address in Toronto?

Will they ask me to declare the package when I return if I told them my visit is to pick up a package??
Will they even ask you any question? Can you please explain the process, I show my passport and then what??
The border guards are used to it. Just tell them you're going to the CBI office to pick up a package and you'll be back in 20 mins. They may ask what it is that you're grabbing. Just bring a print off of your order to prove it. When you come back, tell the Canadians the same thing. You might have to pay taxes on it. Just be truthful and it's fine. Never had an issue :).
Banned
Mar 9, 2017
27 posts
1 upvote
They need to improve the sense of service, if not, will be changed by others lead to lag .
Temp. Banned
Dec 27, 2016
80 posts
41 upvotes
Typhoonz wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 10:17 pm
The border guards are used to it. Just tell them you're going to the CBI office to pick up a package and you'll be back in 20 mins. They may ask what it is that you're grabbing. Just bring a print off of your order to prove it. When you come back, tell the Canadians the same thing. You might have to pay taxes on it. Just be truthful and it's fine. Never had an issue :).
Really?? Pay taxes on it? Is there any work around, what if I opened the phone and have it hooked to my car charger?? I would imagine it is going to be over 60 bucks for a 400 dollars phone and there maybe any CBSA fee?? JPlus driving from Downtown Toronto to niagara all adds up, not sure if will be worth it. Just cuirous!
Mar 18, 2017
1 posts
User042404 wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 8:21 pm
But whats surprising is, there seems to be a way that someone can track where exactly the package is.
So far, at least, what has worked for me every single time is walking into the post office and asking the person behind the counter to look up the tracking numbers on their computer. Obviously, the post system knows where the package is even if they won't tell us lowly web users.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

Liselsia