Shopping Discussion

Mail Processing at Canada Customs SLOW?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2017 9:19 pm
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
278 upvotes
Can someone point to a thread discussing local small Mail Carriers dropping and picking up mail across the US border?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3435 posts
286 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
User042404 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 11:20 pm
Really?? Pay taxes on it? Is there any work around, what if I opened the phone and have it hooked to my car charger?? I would imagine it is going to be over 60 bucks for a 400 dollars phone and there maybe any CBSA fee?? JPlus driving from Downtown Toronto to niagara all adds up, not sure if will be worth it. Just cuirous!
I mean you can do that and people do. You just have to be willing to face the consequences if you do decide to go that route.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
2371 posts
55 upvotes
Surrey
arnycus wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 9:06 am
Can someone point to a thread discussing local small Mail Carriers dropping and picking up mail across the US border?
Where do you live?
I live in BC by the blaine city crossing and there are at least 10 mail parcel receiving place in a 5km radius of the peace arch and truck border crossing.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
2371 posts
55 upvotes
Surrey
Typhoonz wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 11:57 am
I mean you can do that and people do. You just have to be willing to face the consequences if you do decide to go that route.
I just declare the actual costs of goods.
For a $200 phone, they probably will ding you $20, and that's if they even ask you to pay.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
5800 posts
1144 upvotes
aGincourt
2017.02.07 18:51 (GMT-7): 【8】Arrival at Destination Post (Country: CA)
2017.02.07 18:51 (GMT-7): Arrive at destination county
2016.12.23 11:47 (GMT-7): 【8】Despatched to overseas (Country code: CA)
2016.12.23 11:47 (GMT-7): 【CAYVR】Transit to Air Transit Centre
2016.12.22 19:47 (GMT-7): Despatched to overseas (Country code: CA)
2016.12.22 19:47 (GMT-7): Transit to Air Transit Centre
2016.12.21 17:00 (GMT-7): Security check success
2016.12.21 01:00 (GMT-7): Hand over to airline
2016.12.17 19:14 (GMT-7): Received by line-haul successful
2016.12.17 14:30 (GMT-7): Notification of shipment confirmation
2016.12.17 14:14 (GMT-7): Outbound in sorting center
2016.12.17 13:44 (GMT-7): Inbound in sorting center
2016.12.17 13:16 (GMT-7): Accepted by carrier
2016.12.17 09:01 (GMT-7): Waiting for pick up
2016.12.15 19:01 (GMT-7): Shipment confirmation

Not going to bother contact seller for $15 shoes to increase buyer protection, have already done it twice. This thread has given me reassurance that it will arrive, EVENTUALLY.
Nov 20, 2005
935 posts
193 upvotes
User042404 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 11:20 pm
Really?? Pay taxes on it? Is there any work around, what if I opened the phone and have it hooked to my car charger?? I would imagine it is going to be over 60 bucks for a 400 dollars phone and there maybe any CBSA fee?? JPlus driving from Downtown Toronto to niagara all adds up, not sure if will be worth it. Just cuirous!
Congrats on being a Canadian 2 years ago, but be honest when crossing, bring your receipt and pay your taxes. Don't try to lie, you do not want to be in a situation where you can't prove the cost of the item, because they can charge you whatever they feel like is the right price. For Example, if you paid 400 bucks for the phone, but you didn't bring a receipt. They will do a search online and if they found it to be 600 bucks, you'll be paying taxes on that 600 dollar + a fine because you underdeclared it.
Jan 4, 2017
289 posts
161 upvotes
Calgary
This appears to indicate that the item has been with the CBSA in Mississauga since 15th Jan, and it has not been released yet. It had been ordered in mid December.
Canada Post - Track - Personal Results Details.jpg
We came, we saw, we left!
Temp. Banned
Dec 27, 2016
80 posts
41 upvotes
pitabread wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 3:18 pm
Congrats on being a Canadian 2 years ago, but be honest when crossing, bring your receipt and pay your taxes. Don't try to lie, you do not want to be in a situation where you can't prove the cost of the item, because they can charge you whatever they feel like is the right price. For Example, if you paid 400 bucks for the phone, but you didn't bring a receipt. They will do a search online and if they found it to be 600 bucks, you'll be paying taxes on that 600 dollar + a fine because you underdeclared it.
Thank you so much!! You have valid points it is not worth not disclosing the item...But i wonder, what really goes on duriing crossing? My knowedge only comes from watching Narcos, weeds TV series. So they pull you over? and then an officer tells you to get out stand outside and he examines your car? Or it is like they ask what you got, and then they will be like hmmm I dont think so, let me have a look inside your car, pop up your trunk??

I am so afraid of police since I was arrested back home when I was a teen for stupid reasons hanging out with a bunch of people who were nuts, and they beat the crap out of us for no reasons, just for suspicion . But although thats a 3rd world country I am so afraid of authority and cops. I know "WE CANADIANS" lol are very civilized and your life and human rights actually matter in Canada, I still cant shake the thought of begging them not to beat us and tell us why they arrested us lol Turned out they had quotas back home to show number of arrests to their superiors.

Sorry I am rambling but I would really like to know, if there is a video of someone crossing the border and explaining the whole procedure including the checking etc I'd appreciate it.
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
278 upvotes
jan27299 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 11:59 am
Where do you live?
I live in BC by the blaine city crossing and there are at least 10 mail parcel receiving place in a 5km radius of the peace arch and truck border crossing.
Would be nice to create some sort of a list or database for largest Canadian cities somewhat close to the border. I mean Toronto is not that far from the border, and Montreal & Vancouver can be viewed that way too. Of course, some small cities in immediate proximity to a border crossing may have more such services. But it requires shoppers driving straight to the border. It may not be needed however. In Ontario, I know some companies located in Windsor, Toronto and some other places drive daily trucks with mail across the border in both directions. So you can drop the mail or pickup it from the company's head office directly instead of driving to the border. Compiling a list of such companies might make Canada Post move faster, if Canadian shoppers start directing their China shipments to US borderline cities for faster cheaper delivery.
Temp. Banned
Dec 27, 2016
80 posts
41 upvotes
arnycus wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 5:15 pm
Would be nice to create some sort of a list or database for largest Canadian cities somewhat close to the border. I mean Toronto is not that far from the border, and Montreal & Vancouver can be viewed that way too. Of course, some small cities in immediate proximity to a border crossing may have more such services. But it requires shoppers driving straight to the border. It may not be needed however. In Ontario, I know some companies located in Windsor, Toronto and some other places drive daily trucks with mail across the border in both directions. So you can drop the mail or pickup it from the company's head office directly instead of driving to the border. Compiling a list of such companies might make Canada Post move faster, if Canadian shoppers start directing their China shipments to US borderline cities for faster cheaper delivery.
I was just typing this. I wonder if you can ship this to CBI or any other border services company, AND THEN use a local courier company to schedule a pick up from there and have it shipped to your home? Is there any services like that? that way we dont have to cross the border at all.

Can you name the names of those services please?
Temp. Banned
Dec 27, 2016
80 posts
41 upvotes
arnycus wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 5:15 pm

Has anyone ever used this?? Looks amazing!!

http://crossborderpickups.ca/cross-border-pickups/
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
278 upvotes
User042404 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 5:14 pm
I would really like to know, if there is a video of someone crossing the border and explaining the whole procedure including the checking etc I'd appreciate it.
There was a big thread here on Toronto's ChitChat Express with other cross-border shippers listed in it like Stallion Express, since you mentioned the Mississauga drop-shipper. And some threads discuss such cross-border droppers in other provinces like DYK Post in Calgary.

Your graphic stories remind me some staged White Helmets reports, one to one actually. Face With Tears Of Joy The reality is a lot simpler, and it likely won't match a video you found on the web. The officers are serving 8-12 hour/day shifts at the border month after month. If you were a CBSA officer, such on-the-job training, database records, and informer tips would suggest you right away which cars to check, and which people to strip search. I doubt they target cross-border shoppers anyway. The whole procedure is really simple - they look at you, then scroll eyesight inside your car, look at your docs - and may let you go without even asking questions, or pay a lot more attention to your person and belongings. More details you might find in some CBSA guides if not classified, and possibly on specialized immigration sites. Disappointed But Relieved Face
Last edited by arnycus on Mar 19th, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Temp. Banned
Dec 27, 2016
80 posts
41 upvotes
arnycus wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 5:26 pm
There was a big thread here on Toronto's ChitChat Express with other shipping companies listed in it, since you mentioned the Missisauga drip-shipper, and some threads discussed such cross-border droppers in other provinces.

Your graphic stories remind me staged White Helmets reports, one to one actually. Face With Tears Of Joy The reality is a lot simpler, and it likely won't match a video you found on the web. The officers are serving 8-12 hour/day shifts at the border month after month. If you were a CBSA officer, such on-the-job training, database records, and informer tips would suggest you right away which cars to check, and which people to strip search. The whole procedure is really simple - they look at you, then scroll eyesight inside your car, look at your docs - and may let you go without even asking questions, or pay a lot more attention to your person and belongings. More details you might find in some CBSA Field Manuals if not classified, and possibly on specialized immigration sites. Disappointed But Relieved Face
Yeah sadly it is the case in India, the cops quickly jump into arrest you just based on suspecion, come with us we need to inquire. Which means we are gonna beat you up haha
Anyways, after researching more into cross border shipping seems amazing. I am gonna give it a try, but is really true that shipping to US from China is significantly faster than Canada? is CBSA the culprit?

It would be a waste of effort if the pacakges get delayed the same way it gets delayed in Canada in months. So I assume it will be delivered to the US address within 3 weeks? Can someone confirm please??
Jan 3, 2015
78 posts
26 upvotes
Delta, BC
Here is an update on my packages. Crossing fingers on my Dec packages coming in soon.

Ordered Arrived Days
21-Sep 1-Nov 41
23-Sep 17-Nov 55
31-Oct 22-Nov 22 (tracked)
4-Nov 25-Nov 21
14-Nov 25-Jan 72
15-Nov 6-Jan 52
16-Nov 10-Feb 86
20-Nov 9-Mar 109
17-Dec ----- 92+
20-Dec ----- 89+
18-Jan 21-Feb 34
25-Jan 16-Mar 50
Jun 9, 2007
574 posts
38 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Theory wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 12:06 pm
Well, I have a package that came from Korea via EMS. Korean Post says package was delivered to the local post (CP) and states Toronto. I checked my tracking on CP and it says it's on the way to Canada. I have a couple of friends who ordered the same thing and all of theirs are delivered. My package is sitting in the twilight zone as it hasn't been scanned that it arrived in Canada. I guess it's lost :(. CP won't fancy my call as I'm not the seller and needs the seller to call Korea Post to initiate an investigation...argh...
10 days later, my package "arrived" in Canada and it was "processed" shortly after. Hopefully I'll be getting it tomorrow.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

rockinbrowneyedgirl