Mail Processing at Canada Customs SLOW?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2017 9:37 pm
Feb 9, 2009
304 posts
94 upvotes
chiefsurfer wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 9:15 pm
Q: Does CP assign low priority to certain packets based on their origin?
That's an interesting Q, as there's no single answer or reason behind this phenomena. Winking Face CBSA generally treats China packet truckloads as High Security risk requiring full inspection due to certain drugs shipped this way, with some recent improvements attributed to changing China laws limiting drugs export. They also use packet truck loads slowdown as a safe way to press Government for more funds and staffing quotas because there're no financial penalties for failure to deliver them on time. CP has a set of own priorities behind slowing down packets processing. It seeks to ensure maxed profit with minimal workforce, which is unionized and constantly demands higher pay, pensions, and decreased workload. CP also seeks to continuously increase share of revenue spend on executives compensation, and the packets don't notably contribute to it. CP leadership seems to keep hanging on to previous tactics to compromise CP as a viable public service until changes in power would allow to proceed with previous plans towards CP privatization.

Retail sector of Canadian economy is also interested in China packets delay, including giants like Amazon with very deep pockets for lobbying. Large NA couriers are also lobbing China packets slowdown, since they are out of the loop in that shipping segment, while it lowers their shipments volume from US to Canada. Canada Parliament Report on CP future didn't even mention the packets delay dilemma, sending all the wrong signals to CP and CBSA execs, possibly driven by lack of proper due diligence, retail and courier lobbies, and lack of public and MPs pressure elected in low income districts. Canada Ministry of Public Services appears to set low to no priority and having no publicly discussed action plan to resolve the systemic packets delay from Asia. Objectively, packets are used primarily to import low cost small electrical and electronics items, some clothing, small tools and items for home that are not manufactured in Canada anyway, and do not represent any threat to Canada retail or manufacturing sector, but contribute largely to support low income population segment who's civil rights are deprived by Canada Post packets delays.
Last edited by arnycus on Apr 18th, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
May 5, 2015
309 posts
191 upvotes
GVA
Anyone have this before. Purolator sending stuff to the post office for pickup

Was waiting for a package from the states and found a delivery notice card. Thought it was one of my China Ebay orders that required a signature but turn out it was my Protein from Myprotein.

Asking cause i'm wonder if I can get Purolator to deliver to my CP.Flex address from now on

Oh yes and of course no one ringed the door bell I was home all day
Dec 18, 2016
15 posts
3 upvotes
vaelyra wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 6:43 pm
2017/04/18 17:06 MISSISSAUGA, ON International item released from Customs for processing by Canada Post
2017/04/09 11:09 MISSISSAUGA, ON Item has arrived in Canada and was sent for further processing.

Does 'International item released from Customs for processing by Canada Post' mean I am about to get dinged with taxes?
Unfortunately, yes it looks like you will get dinged.
Jan 4, 2017
193 posts
54 upvotes
I just had my 160 day non-delivery celebration with undelivered orders going back to 8th and 11th of November 2016 - and items held in Mississauga since 15th Feb.

Are there still other Nov. orders MIA?
Images
Oct 21, 2005
551 posts
411 upvotes
Toronto
vaelyra wrote:
2017/04/18 17:06 MISSISSAUGA, ON International item released from Customs for processing by Canada Post
2017/04/09 11:09 MISSISSAUGA, ON Item has arrived in Canada and was sent for further processing.

Does 'International item released from Customs for processing by Canada Post' mean I am about to get dinged with taxes?
Paul31 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 12:12 am
Unfortunately, yes it looks like you will get dinged.
Not really. It's just the normal processing sequence for every parcel, meaning exactly that: it has gone through customs and passed to CP to be delivered to you. For parcels handled by CP instead of couriers, the chances of duties/taxes being levied are quite low, at least for items below $100.
Dec 18, 2016
15 posts
3 upvotes
HalimA834967 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2017 11:45 pm
i have came to a conclusion , from approx 30 parcels i have received from USA and other countries. if your tracking reads" International item released from Customs for processing by Canada Post " out of the 30 pkg 10 of them had this status, i got taxed. all other 20 pkg had this status "Item was released by Customs and is now with Canada Post for processing" none of them was taxed .
Chiefsurfer, it's based on the wording and I have found the above to be true too on the last few packages where I have checked.
Jan 30, 2017
11 posts
1 upvote
chiefsurfer wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 1:53 am
Not really. It's just the normal processing sequence for every parcel, meaning exactly that: it has gone through customs and passed to CP to be delivered to you. For parcels handled by CP instead of couriers, the chances of duties/taxes being levied are quite low, at least for items below $100.
yes for 100% sure this person will get taxed. if the tracking reads"International item released from Customs for processing by Canada Post"
your safe if it reads "Item was released by Customs and is now with Canada Post for processing"
i know this for sure, i have kept record of more then 40 parcel as of now all above $20, 13 parcel out of 40 of them were taxed with the status "International item released from Customs for processing by Canada Post"
other 27 were not taxed with status ""Item was released by Customs and is now with Canada Post for processing"
Jan 30, 2017
11 posts
1 upvote
vaelyra wrote:

yes for 100% sure you will get taxed. if the tracking reads"International item released from Customs for processing by Canada Post"
your safe if it reads "Item was released by Customs and is now with Canada Post for processing"
i know this for sure, i have kept record of more then 40 parcel as of now all above $20, 13 parcel out of 40 of them were taxed with the status "International item released from Customs for processing by Canada Post"
other 27 were not taxed with status ""Item was released by Customs and is now with Canada Post for processing"
Nov 12, 2015
10 posts
7 upvotes
Richmond, BC
That's unfortunate. Thanks for the heads-up though.
Oct 21, 2005
551 posts
411 upvotes
Toronto
Paul31 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 2:01 am
Chiefsurfer, it's based on the wording and I have found the above to be true too on the last few packages where I have checked.
HalimA834967 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 2:17 am
yes for 100% sure this person will get taxed. if the tracking reads"International item released from Customs for processing by Canada Post"
OK, learned something new today. I think I'm very lucky then, I haven't been taxed for many years for parcels handled by Canada Post myself.
Verified Rep
Dec 5, 2010
369 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
LikeSpeed wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 11:51 pm
Anyone have this before. Purolator sending stuff to the post office for pickup

Was waiting for a package from the states and found a delivery notice card. Thought it was one of my China Ebay orders that required a signature but turn out it was my Protein from Myprotein.

Asking cause i'm wonder if I can get Purolator to deliver to my CP.Flex address from now on

Oh yes and of course no one ringed the door bell I was home all day
Hey LikeSpeed,

That sounds like the shipment was sent with the PuroPost service, which is offered by our Purolator International division in the US (for details: http://www.purolatorinternational.com/puropost). This basically means that Purolator International will make arrangements to have the shipment brought to Canada, but once here it’s transferred to Canada Post to deliver.

Thanks,

Jeremie
Customer Care Team / Purolator Inc.

E-mail: customer.care@purolator.com / Twitter Handle: @PurolatorHelp
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2530 posts
8 upvotes
seems like all packages are impacted regardless of origin
Still awaiting a package being sent from the US

Package was presented to CBSA QC Mail Centre on April 11th... still awaiting release
Feb 9, 2009
304 posts
94 upvotes
PurolatorHelp wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 8:07 am
That sounds like the shipment was sent with the PuroPost service
Its a good sign, Purolator reps monitor this thread, despite Purolator was seldom mentioned in it due to obvious reasons of being mostly out of the loop of China packets delivery. Hope, Canada Post officials monitor this thread too, and not only monitor, but also intend to fix in the nearest future the grim situation with Asia packets delivery in Canada developed in recent years despite huge public funds investments into CP infrastructure. We do need CP reps to regularly participate in this thread, of course if they have a voice within CP system, and can affect CP policies or resolve individual issues reported here by CP customers.
gq_fuzion wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 11:02 am
Package was presented to CBSA QC Mail Centre on April 11th... still awaiting release
The Montreal center probably clogged as well due to redistribution of China packets workload from Richmond BC. I'd assume most of us would agree to wait on US packets clearance for a week, if that completely eliminates 2-3-month backlog with China packets processing.
Last edited by arnycus on Apr 19th, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1883 posts
85 upvotes
gq_fuzion wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 11:02 am
seems like all packages are impacted regardless of origin
Agree, I order a item ship from Taiwan at the end of Dec and just received it today.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel