Shopping Discussion

Mail Processing at Canada Customs SLOW?

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2017 3:20 pm
Aug 8, 2006
81 posts
15 upvotes
Just got a small package today with a China shipment date of Oct 27, 2016.

Half a year to receive it (174 days). I can't even remember I ordered it and certainly don't need it anymore.

Well done CBSA. Well done.
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2009
1151 posts
215 upvotes
Is there anyone in the vancouver area that would like to do an on camera TV interview about this and can show good examples? I was asked but I prefer not to. PM me and I'll PM you where to contact. I would suggest its best when you've got an epacket shipment that shows when it came into the country, and then went to customs and still a long time, and more than one long package wait would be great I think.
Feb 9, 2009
400 posts
127 upvotes
bluenote wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 3:29 pm
I would suggest its best when you've got an epacket shipment that shows when it came into the country, and then went to customs and still a long time, and more than one long package wait would be great I think.
I don't think ePackets are good examples to show massive packets delay from Asia. CP withdrawn packets tracking 2 years ago for a reason. They obviously planned at that time to drastically slow down packets delivery as part of the "obscure lettermail future" policy, and were trying to eliminate all reliable evidence of this by withholding CP tracking data. With ePackets tracking is mandated by international agreements, and CP can't withhold it easily, hence can't delay ePackets for 3-to-6 months as they do with registered packets processing. But some tracking data is still available for ordinary packets from sites mentioned here many times, or by using AliExpress own tracking system and TrackChecker desktop and mobile software.
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2009
1151 posts
215 upvotes
I have epacket stuff that has been sitting in customs for a while. But ok, modify what I said to .. with any packages that show tracking somehow for arriving in canada and then waiting an inordinate amount of time.
Oct 14, 2009
433 posts
115 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
I finally got my phone from GB.

Ordered December 21st.
2016-12-28 22:36 Despatched to overseas (Country code: CA)
2017-02-17 13:29 Arrival at Destination Post (Country: CA)
Arrived April 19th.

17track never updated past arriving in Canada. The status went from 'in transit' to 'expired' a couple weeks ago.
Aug 3, 2015
123 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
I decided to chime in on this thread, I'm actually quite pissed at how slow they have been processing chinese packages, no matter what the value is or the type of item was shipped. Tracking (the one up from registered mail) is infinitely more faster than registered made, I can't comprehend why it has been so slow lately. Canadian customs needs to stop sitting on their ass and learn prioritize. Multiple shipments I have bought have went missing or never arrived in the course of the past two years and it is really irritating to the point of madness. There is obviously something really fishy going on, as this ONLY affects packages from China (I purchase from the UK all the time and never experience any slowdowns with a non-tracked service)
Last edited by in4red on Apr 19th, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 3, 2015
123 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
ugly wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 7:24 pm
I finally got my phone from GB.

Ordered December 21st.
2016-12-28 22:36 Despatched to overseas (Country code: CA)
2017-02-17 13:29 Arrival at Destination Post (Country: CA)
Arrived April 19th.

17track never updated past arriving in Canada. The status went from 'in transit' to 'expired' a couple weeks ago.
What phone did you order?
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
10694 posts
1120 upvotes
qaz393 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 10:06 am
Bought this off eBay USA. Should take how much longer?? Note, it did go thru pbi Pitney browns but there was no import duty when I did the auction

Screenshot_20170419-011254.png
Screenshot_20170419-100449.png
update: looks like PBI off ebay is doing their jobs well enough so far. will confirm tomorrow or day after when it comes in
Feb 9, 2009
400 posts
127 upvotes
@gaz393

Your item is a traceable Parcel, it has expected delivery deadlines stipulated in CP delivery standards and bilateral US-Canada Postal Treaty. We're talking in this thread about packets, which are in Lettermail (not Parcel) category, and are not a subject to CP parcel delivery standards. In fact, CP seems to withdrawn any standards compliance for Asian packets. Some folks had hope CP is back on track with packets delivery now after Christmas rush. But it looks like the deep yearly Jan-Feb dive in eCommerce purchases is now over, and CP is indeed back on track with 2-3 months packet delivery schedule.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
10694 posts
1120 upvotes
arnycus wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 9:18 pm
@gaz393

Your item is a traceable Parcel, it has expected delivery deadlines stipulated in CP delivery standards and bilateral US-Canada Postal Treaty. We're talking in this thread about packets, which are in Lettermail (not Parcel) category, and are not a subject to CP parcel delivery standards. In fact, CP seems to withdrawn any standards compliance for Asian packets. Some folks had hope CP is back on track with packets delivery now after Christmas rush. But it looks like the deep yearly Jan-Feb dive in eCommerce purchases is now over, and CP is indeed back on track with 2-3 months packet delivery schedule.
Dang. I learn something new daily. No wonder my friend getting a 2500+ value package he had to diy clear customs and the form was sent out pretty quick........
Aug 3, 2015
123 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
qaz393 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 10:03 pm
Dang. I learn something new daily. No wonder my friend getting a 2500+ value package he had to diy clear customs and the form was sent out pretty quick........
There are different standards.
The tracked packages from any country get slapped as a Canada Post XpressPost. The non-tracked (even registered) packages take a helluva long of a time more.
Dec 23, 2010
392 posts
101 upvotes
Hamilton
Finally got my Mi Max Expressionless Face

Shipped Dec. 29
Arrived at customs Feb 13-14
Delivered Apr. 19

So customs held it up for two months. No duty though.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
10694 posts
1120 upvotes
vinny13 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 11:07 pm
Finally got my Mi Max Expressionless Face

Shipped Dec. 29
Arrived at customs Feb 13-14
Delivered Apr. 19

So customs held it up for two months. No duty though.
how much total for mi max?
Oct 14, 2009
433 posts
115 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
in4red wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 7:55 pm
What phone did you order?
Xiaomi Mi Max. It was marked as a gift $10. Didn't have to pay anything.
Aug 3, 2015
123 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
ugly wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 12:44 am
Xiaomi Mi Max. It was marked as a gift $10. Didn't have to pay anything.
What kind of tracking number was it?
I'm trying to figure out if I should order from GB, given that most "registered mail" parcels are not even tracked into Canada anymore.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel