Shopping Discussion

Mail Processing at Canada Customs SLOW?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2023 2:57 pm
Apr 13, 2010
655 posts
417 upvotes
Napanee, ON
arnycus wrote: This is also a law violation, as they must attempt to deliver the item to the address on the shipping label at least once before forwarding it to a postal outlet for pickup.
Which law is that?
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Aug 31, 2017
2 posts
Currently waiting for an item from Finland for the last 31days mailed on the 1st of August. CP reps have been of no help other than to inform me there is a 31-39 day delay at most customs entry points. At present I have an investigation with Finland post on the matter as the item was confirmed to have left finland and then seemingly disappeared. Tracking information RR043378228FI
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
cybersaga wrote: Which law is that?
Well I'd call it a policy violation. In this case you can call CP, get a postal manager, and get them to resend the item out for delivery BUT the whole process would probably take a week. OTOH if your delivery person is in the habit of skipping a delivery attempt, this would stop it.
Jul 17, 2008
243 posts
52 upvotes
lazycow9 wrote: You jinxed it xeze! I hate you! I had to pay $20.63 ($1.74 for Duty, $8.94 in GST and $9.95 for the Handling fee)
Someone posted a few pages ago that if your tracking shows "International item released from Customs for processing by Canada Post" you will be charged custom fees.

If it shows "Item was released by Customs and is now with Canada Post for processing" then you won't be charged custom fees.
Nov 27, 2016
32 posts
29 upvotes
RobertM681823 wrote: Currently waiting for an item from Finland for the last 31days mailed on the 1st of August. CP reps have been of no help other than to inform me there is a 31-39 day delay at most customs entry points. At present I have an investigation with Finland post on the matter as the item was confirmed to have left finland and then seemingly disappeared. Tracking information RR043378228FI
For tracking #'s the start with RR, If you put the tracking # in twice in Canada posts website you can watch and see if it moves, the date will change, but you can't see where it goes. I had a package come from Germany that I was able to watch until it was finally delivered.
Aug 31, 2017
2 posts
I've tried entering the tracking number twice but the date still hasn't been updated from the last day in Finland
Jul 17, 2008
243 posts
52 upvotes
lazycow9 wrote: You jinxed it xeze! I hate you! I had to pay $20.63 ($1.74 for Duty, $8.94 in GST and $9.95 for the Handling fee)
Someone a few pages back posted that if the tracking says "International item released from Customs for processing by Canada Post" then you will get charged custom fees.

If the tracking show "Item was released by Customs and is now with Canada Post for processing" then you won't get charged custom fees.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1832 posts
1088 upvotes
zeze wrote: Someone a few pages back posted that if the tracking says "International item released from Customs for processing by Canada Post" then you will get charged custom fees.

If the tracking show "Item was released by Customs and is now with Canada Post for processing" then you won't get charged custom fees.
Don't think that's always accurate, the wording can be different from time to time. Just got an EMS from Japan that says "Item has been presented to Canada Border Agency for customs review." Thought I will get dinged for tax but package arrived tax free.
Jun 26, 2017
60 posts
4 upvotes

Was your under $60 item marked gift? I don't know why you were dinged. Crying Face
Dec 14, 2011
126 posts
20 upvotes
Halifax, NS
rockinbrowneyedgirl wrote: Was your under $60 item marked gift? I don't know why you were dinged. Crying Face
It was. Maybe they waited for the currency to change so it could be above $60 -_-
Dec 14, 2011
126 posts
20 upvotes
Halifax, NS
rockinbrowneyedgirl wrote: Ugh. Sabotage. Pouting Face
Canada post remains the worst.
I am bit confused, who is in charge of Customs? CBSA? or Canada Post? Anyways, I blame both.
Jun 26, 2017
60 posts
4 upvotes
lazycow9 wrote: I am bit confused, who is in charge of Customs? CBSA? or Canada Post? Anyways, I blame both.
Customs technically I guess...but Canada post sucks so I blame them for most mail related f***ups, tbh. Lol
Aug 30, 2017
7 posts
2 upvotes
Has anyone else ordered any epackets around aug 15-18 that's going to western Canada? Have they been delivered yet?
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2012
2053 posts
4698 upvotes
3 packages arrived today, 1 yesterday. It's getting ridiculously fast with packages with them arriving <20 days.

All are ordered from eBay or Aliexpress using the cheapest free shipping option and going to Vancouver.

Ordered June 13, arrived Aug 8 (56 days)
Ordered June 13, arrived Aug 9 (57 days)
Ordered June 13, arrived Aug 10 (58 days)
Ordered July 3, arrived Aug 10 (38 days)
Ordered July 10, arrived Aug 11 (32 days)
Ordered July 10, arrived Aug 15 (36 days)
Ordered July 10, arrived Aug 15 (36 days)
Ordered July 16, arrived Aug 15 (30 days)
Ordered July 27, arrived Aug 15 (19 days)
Ordered July 27, arrived Aug 25 (29 days)
Ordered Aug 15, arrived Aug 31 (16 days)
Ordered Aug 18, not yet arrived.
Ordered Aug 18, arrived Sep 1 (14 days).
Ordered Aug 21, arrived Sep 1 (11 days).
Ordered Aug 21, arrived Sep 1 (11 days).
Ordered Aug 22, not yet arrived.
Ordered Aug 22, not yet arrived.
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
285 upvotes
cybersaga wrote: Which law is that?
I wonder how "cybersaga" nick is related to your cow avatar? Smiling Face With Open Mouth

As to your question, its violation of CPC Act, sec 49, which says: "Every person commits an offence who unlawfully and knowingly abandons, misdirects, obstructs, delays or detains the progress of any mail or mail conveyance." As the improper scan at the station "Unsuccessful delivery attempt. No delivery for specified address. Addressee advised to pick up the item" was made at receiving the mail from the sorting plant around 1am at night, before any attempt was made to deliver it to a valid registered with CP address on the shipping label, it clearly fits "knowingly misdirects" provision of that section, as well as consequently "delays the progress of mail" by redirecting it to a different address without any lawful reason, which is a criminal offense. There are no provisions in the law allowing Canada Post to do that without the receiver's consent, unless the mail is detained for a lawful reason.
Apr 13, 2010
655 posts
417 upvotes
Napanee, ON
cursayer wrote: It's getting ridiculously fast with packages with them arriving <20 days.
I wish I had the same experience. I have 5 things on the way via ePacket. The first left China on August 16 and tracking hasn't been updated since.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Aug 30, 2017
7 posts
2 upvotes
Same here, mine left on the 17th and stuck on en route to Canada still.
Jun 17, 2017
45 posts
1 upvote
I have an ePacket that left HK Aug. 26, which I received Aug. 31, so 5 days. Seller's page says they ship via e-Packet.
And then on the envelope that arrived, the labels/logos I see include "e-Express" and "e-Ship". Are both e-Packet?

A UK Royal Mail tracked package that left the UK on Aug. 22, I received on Aug. 31 too (9 days). Amazing! Probably just got lucky as other August UK Royal Mail tracked orders are still in transit.

Also our postman has been arriving at least an hour earlier this week too. When I remarked about it, he said there wasn't as big a volume of parcels lately (likely means in our city's sorting facility -- don't ask me where/which city) so he's been early. Our postman is quite diligent, polite, and does his job well. I'm thinking to give him a tip/present come Xmas season, especially after all the packages that he's been delivering to my door regularly big and small. Lol!
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
285 upvotes
parcelTracker wrote: And then on the envelope that arrived, the labels/logos I see include "e-Express" and "e-Ship". Are both e-Packet?
e-Express is similar to ePacket service of HK Post, initially introduced jointly with USPS for eBay.hk US buyers, and then extended to shipments to some other countries. It says also e-Ship on the envelope, because in some destination countries its called e-Ship instead. In Canada such packages are usually delivered as local CP Xpresspost equivalent.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)