Shopping Discussion

Mail Processing at Canada Customs SLOW?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2017 9:58 pm
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2009
686 posts
267 upvotes
Susino lessons continued with my own digging results and Ali CS feedback. Electric Light Bulb I don't know if this setup will work for "ANY" Ali seller, but apparently it works well for Susino and her Canadian buyers shipping with ePacket. By default ePacket is shown in Ali Shipping UI only to USA, but Ali seller can add ePacket to Canada as shown below. May be we should ask Ali management to add it by default, though they may not agree due to low orders count from Canada, as they want to simplify the UI, make it easier to use for buyers and sellers. Shipping options range looks very extensive in the GUI, but most small sellers probably use just the default Shipping Template for New Sellers, and large stores often prefer using their chosen logistics warehouse rates instead of Ali shipping options. Alternatively seller can add ePacket as "Seller Shipping Method", but in this case they would have to pay shipping fees directly on China EMS portal instead of its done automatically via AliExpress portal, and at higher rates compare to Ali contract rates with China EMS. Same logic applies to all other logistics companies Ali signed contracts with, and their range of shipping methods.

If you use China eCommerce stores other than AliExpress, I'd guess they may have a similar ePacket option for their sellers in each portal's Seller GUI if the portal signed a contract with China EMS. The seller can also pay for shipping by ePacket on China EMS portal at higher rates, or select ePacket to Canada option on the portal of their preferred China logistics warehouse often at lower rates if available. Still shipping to Canada with ePacket may not be offered by EMS in certain China provinces, or outside of major eCommerce portals or certain economic zones in China, subject to local market research. The problem is, many sellers are simple people from villages or students & retirees, so their ability and skills to research and setup various shipping options available in China vary that may show up in "standard" reply "ePacket not available" or higher shipping rates.

Last edited by arnycus on May 12th, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Apr 15, 2012
6 posts
2 upvotes
Québec, Québec
@georob
"Going by your post, it seems like I am only at the halfway mark, which means I've got another month before I see the phone. Feels like an eternity already."

I think you'll have to wait 2 months approx., since it arrived may 1st, maybe at the beginning of july, maybe...
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2009
686 posts
267 upvotes
Interesting thing to note: when entering "Customs delays" or "mail delays" on Google, this thread comes one of the first choices, so we are going to see more and more new users joining the movement to stop Asian packets lengthy delivery delays by CP and CBSA. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
May 10, 2017
123 posts
16 upvotes
Some statistics ...
Here is 6 orders from China (AliXpress) sent by Singapore Post.
4 orders received and 2 are MIA so far.
ARRIVED means "arrived in Canada"
RECEIVED means "delivered to the door"

ORDER$:17.70
RB162044***SG
ORDERED:04FEB2017
SHIPPED:10FEB2017
ARRIVED:22FEB2017
REFUND: NO (ALIEXPRESS ASK TO WAIT UNTIL 17MAY2017)
RECEIVED:NO
98 DAYS (AND COUNTING)

ORDER$:5.67
RB144139***SG
ORDERED:29DEC2016
SHIPPED:30DEC2016
ARRIVED:10JAN2017
REFUND:26APR2017
RECEIVED: NO
135 DAYS (AND COUNTING)

ORDER$:12.07
RB151768***SG
ORDERED:14JAN2017
SHIPPED:17JAN2017
ARRIVED:22FEB2017
REFUND:09MAY2017
RECEIVED:09MAY2017
115 DAYS

ORDER$:35.19
RB159856***SG
ORDERED:25JAN2017
SHIPPED:06FEB2017
ARRIVED:17FEB2017
RECEIVED:13APR2017
78 DAYS

ORDER$:16.73
RB154761***SG
ORDERED:20JAN2017
SHIPPED:22JAN2017
ARRIVED:17FEB2017
RECEIVED:13APR2017
83 DAYS

ORDER$:33.93
RB154563***SG
ORDERED:19JAN2017
SHIPPED:21JAN2017
ARRIVED:21FEB2017
RECEIVED:18APR2017
89 DAYS
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2009
686 posts
267 upvotes
Very similar to mine. We need to buy some more $1 stuff now on Ali, but looking at my already existing 2-month "in-progress" list, each time I got a major headache. :facepalm: Basically what happens, it makes for many people in Canada impossible to buy basic things for their homes and love ones without paying exorbitant costs and fees, and hits first and foremost the entire low income population in Canada. I can understand CP wants to show higher profit figures at the time of major CP Review going on by Government, but sorry... CP execs desire to keep their warm chairs by depriving 30% of Canada population of fundamental Constitutional rights and chances to improve their well-being - its not normal by any count, especially given the screaming fact that CP is our public property.
Last edited by arnycus on May 13th, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 10, 2017
123 posts
16 upvotes
No wonder Mr.Chopra got his reward in 2015 as "Scumbag of the Year" by rankandfile.ca.
And check how many vice-presidents he has.
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2009
686 posts
267 upvotes
nixrfd wrote:
May 12th, 2017 3:58 am
I worked for CP for the last 3.5 years through the agency signing temporary contract.
Did you happen to work by any chance on one of 3 CP international mail sorting plants? Many forum members asked, how many CBSA agents are on staff daily clearing packets? What their workday looks like, how many shifts? Do they work fast the entire shifts? How long it takes to clear one packet on the belt? Do they clear each and every packet separately, or just select pallets?

Are packets and parcels go through the same or different sections of the plant? How many CP workers sort packets compare to parcels? In how many shifts? What would be daily volume of Asian packets sorted at the plant? Are US, Europe, and Asia originated packet sorted in a mix, or on separate lines each stream? We need to clarify all that to help present an accurate picture of handmade Asian packets delay to the Government Review panel, as they now re-open public consultations.

As of today, the review comments are still dominated by CP Union members and "home delivery" agenda. We need to draw attention to the acute problem of Asian packet delays as well, its now almost lost in the comments. Pls post your opinions on both review sites Facebook and Twitter what do you think about this particular problem.

Interesting comments I found there, quite a few like this one:
"Joe Santos. Rest assured Deepak Chopra had a lot of undue influence of the outcome of this report. The fix was in before it even began. Until Trudeau changes the regime at Canada Post, the road to privatization continues. Justin Trudeau you defended the post office during your election jaunts, what about now?"
Last edited by arnycus on May 13th, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4848 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
icemasta wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 1:43 am
Still waiting on an item that was shipped out 09/03/2017 and then arrived in Canada on 27/03/2017 with Singapore Post. Funny thing is I bought a different item which shipped out at a later date on 15/03/2017 and arrived in Canada on 20/03/2017 and received on 27/03/2017 from Singapore Post also.

Thankfully Paypal has 180 day resolution time so I will wait it out a little longer.
Finally received my item in question, 12/05/2017, so probably stuck in customs for around 1.5 months.
Jan 4, 2017
289 posts
161 upvotes
Calgary
Amazon stuff from Asia does not arrive either.
Your Orders.jpg
We came, we saw, we left!
May 10, 2017
123 posts
16 upvotes
arnycus wrote:
May 13th, 2017 1:03 pm
Did you happen to work by any chance on one of 3 CP international mail sorting plants?
No I didn't work with parcels although we received small parcels by mistakes sometimes. They came inside the standard grey CP boxes. Every box has small label with info and bar-codes.

All I can tell those boxes might end up at any place in Canada by mistake. They don't bother scan them individually. So those boxes still inside the system but may travel between warehouses for a long time. Potentially more chances to get stuck somewhere for a long time or worse they can be stolen.

I know that Mississauga plant has 3 shifts and they sort parcels 7 days a week but they are very slow and controlled by Union - that's what I heard, so don't
quote me on that. I'm not against union system it's just ridiculous how it works - sabotage from the top and sabotage from the bottom.
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2009
686 posts
267 upvotes
nixrfd wrote:
May 13th, 2017 2:58 pm
I'm not against union system it's just ridiculous how it works - sabotage from the top and sabotage from the bottom.
Union system has pros and cons, but it was not adjusted for a long time to current realities. From my observations it was especially detrimental to younger people who wanted to grow and learn new skills, and have a career path by doing better job than anyone else around. It was very hard for them to do, and their moral was dropping fast even in creative and challenging environment where they had support and access to various new tools. Some were really eager to learn and they pickup things on the spot, so becoming more and more valuable for their project. The problem was, at every company division there was a union "eye on duty" at all times, these folks were running around and frequently approaching the guys telling "you are not supposed to do that" or "you have to be on break now" or "don't do it that fast" etc. Upper management couldn't interfere, but I've seen such disappointment in their eyes, as they literally were blocked from learning new skills and growing on the job. It was unbelievably detrimental to these recent grads, while all project managers were trying to get a different project with major non-unionized businesses, because it was much easier to succeed, control and move a project forward.

I do agree though, unions give higher job security and better pay & benefits, but they at times tied up hands of the most promising workers, and been detrimental to company productivity grows. So the union system is useful, but must evolve adapting to current global market realities. I understand CP execs may have some challenges with the union in its present state, which basically dictates new and new demands without looking at a bigger picture, especially their leaders. May be some new law can help adjust union activities scope to global market terms, may be some profit sharing with workers, better union leaders engagement into company challenges, may be mandatory leaders re-election term limit. Having said that, CP execs have no right to unload their union problems onto Canadian poor and middle class in such a rude and intrusive manner, grossly interfering with our quality of life and civil rights. It shows lack of skills, ignorance of our society foundation, and unsuitability for the top job.

Someone mentioned above, CP keeps delivering mail for a person who doesn't live here anymore. And that's exactly what Canada Post is supposed to do - promptly deliver mail to the address on the packet, except cases cited in law or rules. But that's not what's happening with these small China packets - CP leadership clearly play politics here, holding Canadian people hostages. Staffing cuts at relevant CP plant clearance & sorting sections may be co-ordinated and possibly aimed at creating handmaid packets backlog, which requires investigation.
Last edited by arnycus on May 13th, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
3800 posts
937 upvotes
So an ex Canada Post contractor confirms to us that the parcels are taking so long to arrive because union workers are deliberately​ slowing things up to retaliate against their bosses.

How surprising.
As we all know, the Greater Toronto Area is the center of the universe!
May 10, 2017
123 posts
16 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote:
May 13th, 2017 6:17 pm
As we all know, the Greater Toronto Area is the center of the universe!
And a Black Postal Hole at the same time.
Jan 4, 2017
289 posts
161 upvotes
Calgary
Same old same old with Aliexpress standard shipping (Singapore Post): still through Mississauga with one month delay from Vancouver.
Track and trace at Trackitonline.jpg
We came, we saw, we left!
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2009
686 posts
267 upvotes
nixrfd wrote:
May 13th, 2017 2:58 pm
They came inside the standard grey CP boxes. Every box has small label with info and bar-codes... They don't bother scan them individually.
I know that Mississauga plant has 3 shifts and they sort parcels 7 days a week but they are very slow and controlled by Union.
The box bar-code is linked to a Shipping Manifest in CP DB, with the box packets listed in it with all relevant customer data.

When did you stop working for them - in Jan 2017? Are you saying Mississauga plant works 24/7 regardless of the high & low season? In this case, do you know how many lines work each shift at high compare to low season, day compare to night? We basically need better understanding of how understaffed the plants are. Based on forum packet delivery reports, one may assume Montreal and Ottawa plants are staffed near limit due to obvious proximity to power reasons, despite the workload on Montreal plant handling European orders is likely the lowest of 3. The rest of Canada is now severely under-serviced based on up to 6-months reported packets delays.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 2 guests)

seaker, wzpzj