Shopping Discussion

Mail Processing at Canada Customs SLOW?

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2017 8:40 pm
Dec 4, 2008
95 posts
24 upvotes
Some data points, seeking feedback on delivery times (and how much longer to expect..). I'm noticing a trend here, seems like anything going west --> east is being held up by customs. I'm hearing packages routed east goes through Vancouver CBSA with a massive backlog?

1. Dealextreme (DX)
Ordered: 15/04/2017
Shipped: 16/04/2017
Received (in mailbox): ~10/05/2017
Method: Supersaver.. I think it was via PostNL airmail though

2. DX
Ordered: 23/04/2017
Shipped: 24/04/2017
Received (in mailbox): still waiting
Method: Standard, via PostNL (registered airmail)
Notes: value ~$20 USD, shows as landed in Canada via 17track as of 08/05/2017

3. Aliexpress
Ordered: 02/04/2017
Shipped: 05/04/2017
Received (in mailbox): still waiting
Method: Standard, via Singapore Post (registered airmail)
Notes: value ~$10 USD, shows as landed in Canada via 17track as of 24/04/2017

4. Fasttech
Ordered: 01/04/2017
Shipped: 01/04/2017
Received (in mailbox); still waiting
Method: Via Singapore Post (registered airmail)
Notes: value ~$20 CAD, shows as landed in Canada via 17track as of 21/04/2017
Last edited by sports1 on May 15th, 2017 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 10, 2017
39 posts
2 upvotes
arnycus wrote:
May 15th, 2017 1:10 am
The box bar-code is linked to a Shipping Manifest in CP DB, with the box packets listed in it with all relevant customer data.

When did you stop working for them - in Jan 2017? Are you saying Mississauga plant works 24/7 regardless of the high & low season? In this case, do you know how many lines work each shift at high compare to low season, day compare to night? We basically need better understanding of how understaffed the plants are. Based on forum packet delivery reports, one may assume Montreal and Ottawa plants are staffed near limit due to obvious proximity to power reasons, despite the workload on Montreal plant handling European orders is likely the lowest of 3. The rest of Canada is now severely under-serviced based on up to 6-months reported packets delays.
I stopped working September 2016. I didn't work at Mississauga plant and don't have specifics about lines, workloads etc. Our mails came from this place.
Every bin label has info so just by reading this info it was clear that they work 7/24. All I know that there is a soft of "controlled chaos" and inefficient management there.
Aug 24, 2002
402 posts
3 upvotes
Calgary
I'm wondering if I should even bother checking status of my package anymore: RB141171912SG

Does anything change even if package is delivered?
Oct 19, 2012
98 posts
31 upvotes
Montr
It will change when it gets to the next/final destination for sorting. Used to be things would be pretty smooth once a package clears customs but now CP like to personally sit on packages too
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
6782 posts
978 upvotes
Are delivery times from Ebay China the same as AliExpress? I'm moving in about 2 month time, so I'm wondering if I should just order now with my new address. From what members posted here, it seems to be taking at least 2 months, mostly 3 month average. But I'll be ordering from Ebay from Chinese sellers. But I don't want the package to arrive before my move-in date.
Aug 24, 2002
402 posts
3 upvotes
Calgary
JurgenK857634 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 2:09 pm
Yes, don't give up! The golden rule: only worry after 1/2 year. My longest aliexpress shipment took 154 days [Nov. 8th to April 11th, sorting in Mississauga on 8th Jan.], followed by another one taking 150 days. You can easily add three months to your 1st April sorting in Mississauga to be in line with my deliveries. Also: this could be the last tracking info before the receiver signs it. And once you have not signed for the delivery, it is still on its way (sometimes it will "have left Mississauga" and then it takes 4-5 days to Calgary in my case, where it will be stamped twice: when it comes in and when it leaves for delivery; but not always). In summary, tracking info is somewhat erratic but I bet my cat you will receive this shipment eventually.

Talk to your MP!
I have no doubt it will come, just wondering if I should be checking tracking like I'm doing every day, almost like a religious ritual to me now :)
Jan 4, 2017
251 posts
101 upvotes
Calgary
Mr. or Mrs. Messerschmitt,
I don't want to digress too far, but find a slide to be used in a presentation to a crowd of 250 tomorrow. It shows the Messerschmitt hotel, 150 m away from my birthplace in Bamberg, Germany. The Messerschmitts originally ran a wine bar with wholesale from the 1880s, and their son became a talented aircraft designer, establishing his company in 1923. The city of Bamberg had some 30 breweries at the time of Willy Messerschmitt. I conclude: he was so looped by both that he came up with these designs.

This information is in no local history book and tourist guides don't mention it either.

We came, we saw, we left!
Apr 26, 2017
11 posts
2 upvotes
iakov wrote:
May 15th, 2017 11:30 am
I'm wondering if I should even bother checking status of my package anymore: RB141171912SG

Does anything change even if package is delivered?
On trackitonline.ru, the last status showed it arriving at the Mississauga Sorting center on the April 1 2017. That was almost 2 months after arriving in Canada.

Direct link: http://trackitonline.ru/?tn=RB141171912SG
Aug 24, 2002
402 posts
3 upvotes
Calgary
georob wrote:
May 15th, 2017 2:53 pm
On trackitonline.ru, the last status showed it arriving at the Mississauga Sorting center on the April 1 2017. That was almost 2 months after arriving in Canada.

Direct link: http://trackitonline.ru/?tn=RB141171912SG
You are absolutely correct. This is the only site that shows anything of value about my package.
May 14, 2017
1 posts
I too have been waiting for a dozen packages from Ali express since early Feb 2017 to Ontario Canada. Been over 90 Days. Though my record delivery was last year when i received a package late November that ordered mid October of 2015. Yes 13 Months later. The package looked like it went to hell and back. Was totally shocked.
Oct 14, 2009
434 posts
115 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
Another order came in, this one bought in March.

Bought on eBay on March 5th. Got a shipping notification, but it never updated when it arrived in Canada. RS458048847CN

Translated tracking:
2017-03-18 14:45 Guangzhou swap, has been exported straight seal
2017-03-18 13:35 Guangzhou swap, has been opened to open
2017-03-18 13:05 Dongguan City Post Bureau of electricity to the Office of the mail processing center, leave, the next stop [Dongguan Center]
2017-03-18 13:05 Dongguan City Post Bureau of electricity to the Office of the mail processing center, has been closed
2017-03-18 13:03 Dongguan City Post Bureau of electricity to the Office of the mail processing center, has been received

Arrived today May 15.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
1052 posts
231 upvotes
iakov wrote:
May 15th, 2017 3:03 pm
You are absolutely correct. This is the only site that shows anything of value about my package.
What a pity to live in Canada! We already rely on foreigner to inform us where our packages are!!
Feb 9, 2009
412 posts
131 upvotes
ugly wrote:
May 15th, 2017 7:41 pm
Bought on eBay on March 5th.
Arrived today May 15.
Just remember guys if everyone of us won't write to their local MPs (Members of Canada Parliament, see Summary on the 1st page of this thread), this story will go forever without any changes. Folks in charge of Canada Post couldn't care less about this or any other forum, they only care about tangibles like a real chance to loose their jobs when several MPs start demanding investigation into CP operations and immediate real permanent changes in how CP is managed. On top, only your MPs can introduce or amend the law to establish Inbound Mail Processing and Delivery Standards (deadlines), which is now absent altogether.
Apr 26, 2017
11 posts
2 upvotes
Forgot about another parcel I had ordered, but if someone can use the info, then here it is.

Item: Android TV Box (Value around $60)
Seller: eBay
Order placed: Jan 4 2017
Shipped: From China Jan 5 2017
Received by Royal Mail: Jan 11 2017
Exported to Canada: Jan 11 2017
Arrived in Canada: Jan 12 2017
Delivered: Jan 16 2017 (Ontario)
Jan 9, 2011
271 posts
90 upvotes
Montreal, QC
From the latest Auditor General Report

The Department of Finance Canada analyzed the $20 minimum threshold for postal and courier imports

What we found

2.79 We found that the Department of Finance Canada analyzed the minimum dollar amount for postal and courier imports on which customs duties were charged (de minimis), but we could not conclude whether the analysis was complete. The Department refused to provide us with the documents that might have contained the analysis on the Canada Border Services Agency’s administrative costs for the $20 minimum threshold for charging customs duties on postal and courier imports. According to the Agency’s estimate, there is no net revenue to the government from charging duties on postal shipments with a value of less than $200.

2.80 Our analysis supporting this finding presents what we examined and discusses the following topic:

Department of Finance Canada’s analysis

Why this finding matters

2.81 This finding matters because our audit reports provide Parliament with information on government programs and activities. Without complete information from the Department, we cannot provide assurance that decision makers receive the information they need to make effective decisions.
Recommendations

2.82 We made no recommendations in this area of examination.
Analysis to support this finding

2.83 What we examined. We examined whether the Department of Finance Canada reviewed the minimum threshold for assessing customs duties on goods imported through the postal services or by courier to ensure they were still relevant.

2.84 Department of Finance Canada’s analysis. In 1992, the Government of Canada decided that Canadians did not need to pay taxes or duties on goods valued at $20 or less that were imported through the postal service or by courier. By comparison, some of Canada’s peer countries allow higher-value goods to enter their countries before being assessed for customs duties. We found that the Canada Border Services Agency determined that for many low-value imports, it cost more to collect the customs duties than the amount of duties collected. The Agency determined in 2008 that the Government of Canada lost money on goods assessed at less than $100; therefore, it cost the Agency more to administer the current minimum threshold of $20. More recently, the Agency determined that administering customs duties on any goods imported through the postal service valued at less than $200 resulted in a net cost to the Canadian government. Furthermore, because the number of imported parcels has increased significantly—from 38 million in 2011 to 69 million in 2015—the Agency may not be able to consistently enforce the payment of duties on postal shipments with a value between $20 and $200.

2.85 We asked the Department of Finance Canada for its analyses supporting the minimum threshold. The Department provided us with information containing an estimate that increasing the minimum threshold to $200 would have cost the federal government $66 million in forgone revenue in 2011 (revenue that the government will not receive). The Department also considered the minimum threshold level of other countries and the impact on fairness in the Canadian retail sector. The Department of Finance Canada informed us that in its analyses, it also considered the Canada Border Services Agency’s administrative costs for collecting revenues and its enforcement capacity. However, the Department refused to provide us with the documents that contained those particular analyses. The Department considered those documents to be Cabinet confidences that it could not provide on the basis of the government’s interpretation of our statutory right to information and explanations. Therefore, we could not conclude whether the Department had considered the administrative costs of the $20 minimum threshold for charging customs duties on postal and courier imports.
Conclusion

2.86 We concluded that the Canada Border Services Agency could not ensure that all customs duties owed to the government were assessed. We also concluded that Global Affairs Canada and the Canada Border Services Agency could not ensure that the tariff rate quotas were respected. The Canada Border Services Agency allowed some supply-managed goods to enter the Canadian market without the proper duties being paid.

2.87 Furthermore, we concluded that the Department of Finance Canada suitably fulfilled its responsibilities in regard to customs duties, but needed to further review the relevance of tariff items to ensure that they met government objectives. Finally, we could not conclude on whether the Department of Finance Canada considered the administrative costs when it reviewed the $20 minimum threshold for charging customs duties on postal and courier imports.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel