Shopping Discussion

Mail Processing at Canada Customs SLOW?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2017 11:55 pm
Oct 19, 2012
115 posts
43 upvotes
Montr
Just got a singpost order shipped 64 days ago, the tracking never once updated on CP or trackitonline after the initial registration from when it was enroute to Canada. Was expecting it to be a lot longer since the tracking never updated. Sad but 64 days is pretty good for singpost lately
Mar 20, 2016
85 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver
Some more data points:

- Recent ePacket order that from shipping to receiving was only 5 days (see attached). However it was a very small bubble envelope, essentially lettermail. Seems like it spent 2 days in processing/CBSA?
- Was shipped via China Post and came from Taihe Town Dayuan Village
- Second is a TNT shipment that was stuck at CBSA for about a month (it is very clear in the paperwork that they were inspecting it). This was an express shipment, but contained supplement from china, so was probably flagged as suspicious. Still haven't received it but I did receive a letter asking me to pay fees.
Images
  • Capture.PNG
Jun 5, 2011
21 posts
13 upvotes
EDMONTON
Small bike parts from HongKong via HK bulk airmail. According to HKPost the air transfer schedule is daily to PPC.
114 days all in.
hkbam.png
Oct 9, 2011
165 posts
44 upvotes
Just received a product bought on ebay, shipped Apr 18 Hong Kong registered mail, tracking looks like ID0123456789HK. Didn't expect it to arrive so fast. Maybe CP decided to speed things up?
Jan 4, 2017
289 posts
161 upvotes
Calgary
Expedited shipping, CP tracking says: "Item was released by Customs and is now with Canada Post for processing"
Does that mean I will get dinged with customs charge?

Money paid for item included expedited shipping was: $22.42...which means item alone was less than $20.
Canada Post - Track - Personal Results Details.jpg
I think I found the answer:
Fun fact for Canadians that are wondering if they'll be dinged customs or not -- I just compared a couple tracking numbers where I was hit with customs, and other big ticket items ($200+) that went by without a sweat.

If your tracking shows:
"International item released from Customs for processing by Canada Post" = You just got hit by customs

If it shows:
"Item was released by Customs and is now with Canada Post for processing" = No customs (You'll usually see this message for Priority Mail)

or

"Item has arrived in Canada and was sent for further processing" --> Item processed = No customs (You'll usually see this for First Class Mail)
We came, we saw, we left!
May 10, 2017
144 posts
20 upvotes
There was interesting article two months ago about lost revenue by Canada.
Of course study was done by firm commissioned by UPS. So those "express operators" especially UPS, Fedex, DHL even worse than CP.

"Canada losing out on more than $1 billion in taxes and duties on foreign online retail sales, study reveals" by Financial Post.
Jan 4, 2017
289 posts
161 upvotes
Calgary
nixrfd wrote:
May 20th, 2017 10:36 am
"Canada losing out on more than $1 billion in taxes and duties on foreign online retail sales, study reveals" by Financial Post.
http://business.financialpost.com/news/ ... ases-study

The other question is: why is the "de minimis threshold" still at $20, and how much money is being wasted collecting duties on small articles. If the threshold had grown with inflation over the last 30 years, the "unrealized" loss would be much smaller.

Next question: how much money does Canada lose by large corporations not paying any taxes? Or by rich Canadians having their money offshore. Gazillions? How does this compare to their "lost" customs revenue.

Last question: why is customs not being considered as "highway robbery". That's where it emerged from.
May 10, 2017
144 posts
20 upvotes
Interesting thing is how those small "operators" are nudging the big one to collect more taxes.
Picture #7
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
278 upvotes
JurgenK857634 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 8:57 pm
Does that mean I will get dinged with customs charge?
The law says, the Minister can make regulations re collecting Customs duties and taxes. What this means in practice, there is likely a classified regulation or memorandum instructing Customs how to process low value goods depending on declared value, estimated content value based on description, versus time & cost estimates to clear the mail piece. Its not likely left to full Customs discretion, but value thresholds are clearly set in the Regulation. Its done this way to avoid changing the law re $20 threshold, thus making peace with retail lobby and large couriers hungry to charge brokerage fees for any minuscule item value. As a result, one should not expect their packets treated randomly based on a customs officer mood. I'm pretty sure, current thresholds are clear set, just not published. Another thing is, some deemed safe pallets are passed without per item clearance just based on Pallet Manifest, so in this scenario some higher value shipments sift through without extra charges, as it costs a lot to disassemble the pallet and process everything on belt to find a few higher cost packets. Also, shipping carriers are likely required to pre-sort mail into pallets based on value, mail category, and final destination, so it would be faster to pass Customs in any country.
Mar 20, 2016
85 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver
nixrfd wrote:
May 20th, 2017 10:36 am
There was interesting article two months ago about lost revenue by Canada.
Of course study was done by firm commissioned by UPS. So those "express operators" especially UPS, Fedex, DHL even worse than CP.

and $1 billion in brokerage fees on top of that, such a shame Canada Post does not operate like other predatory shippers eh..

Just received, sad note to see from an aliexpress seller:
Capture.PNG
May 20, 2017
1 posts
I ordered something from china and its stuck there

2017/04/06 16:12 RICHMOND, BC Shipment picked up by Canada Post

Should I panic? Is it just the custom that are slow?
May 10, 2017
144 posts
20 upvotes
chibiauthor wrote:
May 21st, 2017 5:41 pm
There is no cut-and-dried answer. You can wait 2-3 months or more, it actually depends on many factors. Most likely it's not Customs. It's Canada F... Post. "F" stands for "Fast".
Don't panic, read this thread - then ask.
Feb 1, 2017
38 posts
6 upvotes
jpwkr1 wrote:
May 21st, 2017 3:19 am
and $1 billion in brokerage fees on top of that, such a shame Canada Post does not operate like other predatory shippers eh..

Just received, sad note to see from an aliexpress seller:
Capture.PNG
This is only going to get worse unless the government steps in to speed things up. Soon the only way seller will sell to Canadians is if they agree to the most expensive shipping or not ship to Canada at all.
Jan 4, 2017
289 posts
161 upvotes
Calgary
chibiauthor wrote:
May 21st, 2017 5:41 pm
I ordered something from china and its stuck there

2017/04/06 16:12 RICHMOND, BC Shipment picked up by Canada Post

No! Can easily be held by customs for 3 months. Start panicking at the end of July!
May 10, 2017
144 posts
20 upvotes
It's going worse and worse for the last two years. Apparently CP and CG have hidden agenda. CP management corrupt and overpaid. CG is impotent and can't enforce basic rules and they are nothing but blah-blah artists. Plus domesticated and muzzled media.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)