Shopping Discussion

Mail Processing at Canada Customs SLOW?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2023 2:57 pm
Nov 29, 2017
7 posts
nixrfd wrote: Yes, in theory ... but they would not hire more temporary workers or CBSA agents to speed up the process at peak times. They would rather go with the buffering util it's too much. But how much is too much? Well, time will tell ...

@yuimikage

No worries, just read this thread (look at one year or 6 months old posts from this thread) and develop your strategy how to fight this "monster". Lawyers, media or MPs will not get you far, they are the parts of this system that mostly work for the system.
I just do not understand, my address and contact information are all correct, why they will send it to a place that kept lost items? Or send it back to Japan? I did not even to have a chance to sign it....and I do not understand why they won't give us the contact information of that distribute centre in Richmond, we all know which centre it is...but they won't let us contact them...that is so weired. I left the same message on the centre's facebook account and someone reply me the same problem she got. I can see from her message that she is totally pissed off...I can understand why she is so angry because I am angry too.
Sep 21, 2015
526 posts
184 upvotes
London, ON
yuimikage wrote: I just do not understand, my address and contact information are all correct, why they will send it to a place that kept lost items? Or send it back to Japan? I did not even to have a chance to sign it....and I do not understand why they won't give us the contact information of that distribute centre in Richmond, we all know which centre it is...but they won't let us contact them...that is so weired. I left the same message on the centre's facebook account and someone reply me the same problem she got. I can see from her message that she is totally pissed off...I can understand why she is so angry because I am angry too.
http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Ca ... story.html

That linked story also has a video of what the interior of the plant looks like. There's no feasible way to search for an individual item, especially if it was misplaced. It either shows up during normal course of operations, or it's eventually reported lost.

No-one inside the plant itself can assist you, so speaking with them only takes time from their work day = There isn't a public contact number for the location.

I would hope that the item does eventually arrive, but in the meantime there's not really anything you can do personally to accelerate it.
Oct 7, 2008
17 posts
188 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: I wonder if my package is stuck at customs. Ordered an item for $15 off eBay shipped from the UK by Royal Mail and it's been about 46 days already and still hasn't arrived. The tracking number doesn't work. :(
I ordered something from the UK that was shipped October 4 from the UK that just arrived yesterday (Alberta). You should hopefully have it soon. Mine didn't have tracking unfortunately to let you know how long each segment was.
May 10, 2017
340 posts
58 upvotes
yuimikage wrote: I just do not understand, my address and contact information are all correct, why they will send it to a place that kept lost items? Or send it back to Japan? I did not even to have a chance to sign it....and I do not understand why they won't give us the contact information of that distribute centre in Richmond, we all know which centre it is...but they won't let us contact them...that is so weired. I left the same message on the centre's facebook account and someone reply me the same problem she got. I can see from her message that she is totally pissed off...I can understand why she is so angry because I am angry too.
It could be many different reasons (read this thread and you will see) but in most cases it's a simple human error. And it happened to me as well although I got the "last" call from CP office to pick up the package even though there were no any delivery attempts or any notifications left. It's up to CP if they want to send it back to sender or place it to its lost item warehouse.

Even though I received almost all of my packages for the last 12 months, still 3 or 4 shipments were lost but I got refunds. I had one parcel that came after 5.5 months but this is not a record, someone in this thread waited more than 6 months. I had 22 disputes (in the begging of this year) on Aliexpress, EBay and Amazon.ca, most of them were refunded but packages came later in 3-4 months.

I wonder how severe it would be with delayed and temporary lost packages this year. It would be probably worse than the year ago.
Dec 1, 2017
5 posts
I have a package coming from Belgium with an "RF" tracking number... this is registered mail.. a friend who is a CS rep at CPost said anything registered expect a huge delay... what pisses me off is I paid 65 euro or about $90 cdn shipping (I had no option to go cheaper)... I told them specifically to use a courier (ie fedex, dhl) to send it, and they send it postal service... the package said it left Belgium on the 17th of Nov, and that is the last track on it.... so I have no idea where it is.. tracks on bpost website , but nothing tracks on Canada... I ordered a bike part off ebay that came from the ukraine, it took 2 months to get here, and never once had tracking info on CP website.. just pisses me off with the price you waste on shipping costs these days for nothing... Ive ordered bike parts from Germany regular mail and had them in 3 days... (ordered in same time frame)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
canuckleheadfan wrote: I ordered something from the UK that was shipped October 4 from the UK that just arrived yesterday (Alberta). You should hopefully have it soon. Mine didn't have tracking unfortunately to let you know how long each segment was.
UK deliveries seem to take quite long for me even when it's not busy Christmas season.
The general public cannot understand the volumes of packages that must be passing through the border, the couriers etc.
Best thing is to hold of on shipping stuff if you can wait or get it at a brick and mortar store.
Ensure your address etc is correct and keep tracking everyday and a call in if necessary.
Make sure your packages do not require signatures so they can leave it at your door if you are not home to receive it.
Keep in mind it's the season for professional thieves to stake out your home for package deliveries as well.
Feb 1, 2017
44 posts
10 upvotes
Hello yuimikage,
I order quite a few it's from Japan over the last 5 years and up until Sept 2016 i used to get my items in 7 to 10 days shipped from Japan to Vancouver. After Sept 2016 the the delays started to get a little longer. Now it takes typically 4 to 5 weeks ( or 30 to 45 days) from Japan to Canada. My last package sent Airmail ( Not SAL ) to 45 days to be delivered to my Vancouver adress.
I know it's easy for me to say "don't worry " but you will get it.

I personally think myself that Canada Post is intentionally holding on to citizens inbound international mail to force Canadians to purchase more expensive shipping methods.
Dec 1, 2017
5 posts
I will totally disagree with you on the last comment... I paid 65 euro for some cycling clothing from Belgium and its still not here, shipped on Nov 17 from Belgium... My friend works at CanPost and he said CBSA holds back the registered stuff alot and inspects it looking for fraudulent documented items..CBSA turns around and puts the blame on Canpost... he said the worst thing that could have happened is them sending it registered... I have several sets of model airliner decals that came from Florida and in 3 days total shipping its already got through customs and will be delivered on Monday... I think I paid $10 shipping for those... my friend also said that there is a separate tracking system canpost has that can track internal stuff that we don't see online at all... he's gonna run my number on Monday...
TrevorB177692 wrote: Hello yuimikage,
I order quite a few it's from Japan over the last 5 years and up until Sept 2016 i used to get my items in 7 to 10 days shipped from Japan to Vancouver. After Sept 2016 the the delays started to get a little longer. Now it takes typically 4 to 5 weeks ( or 30 to 45 days) from Japan to Canada. My last package sent Airmail ( Not SAL ) to 45 days to be delivered to my Vancouver adress.
I know it's easy for me to say "don't worry " but you will get it.

I personally think myself that Canada Post is intentionally holding on to citizens inbound international mail to force Canadians to purchase more expensive shipping methods.
May 10, 2017
340 posts
58 upvotes
@ChrisCYWG

Did your friend tell you that Canada Post hid most of the tracking info regarding any mail "registered" or "untracked" from the public view?
Just recently in September 2017, CP completely cut any access to their database. Before it was possible to access this type of data from international mail tracking websites.

Canada Post and CBSA simply playing ugly finger pointing blame game. And most of the time it's Canada Post who is responsible for this mess not CBSA. Did your friend tell you how many different papers he signed to keep his mouth shut? Of course all of that "hush-hush" is in the name of PRIVACY and SECURITY.

Read this thread and you would be surprised.
Nov 23, 2017
30 posts
1 upvote
TrevorB177692 wrote:
Thats when you actually can choose a shipping method. Ordered something from china on a website, didnt have any shipping methods choices(actually they dont even tell whats the carrier). Arrived canada november 14 "sent for further processing" in richmond and no updates since then.. the damn waiting game
Dec 1, 2017
5 posts
Was not actually aware of that... so what is so special about the "registered" stuff... I wonder how many people have purchased with paypal, claimed the parcel didnt show up, get a refund, and then get stuff for free.. because paypal ALWAYS sides with the buyer... and of theres no track of delivery, no one will ever know you got your stuff!
nixrfd wrote: @ChrisCYWG

Did your friend tell you that Canada Post hid most of the tracking info regarding any mail "registered" or "untracked" from the public view?
Just recently in September 2017, CP completely cut any access to their database. Before it was possible to access this type of data from international mail tracking websites.

Canada Post and CBSA simply playing ugly finger pointing blame game. And most of the time it's Canada Post who is responsible for this mess not CBSA. Did your friend tell you how many different papers he signed to keep his mouth shut? Of course all of that "hush-hush" is in the name of PRIVACY and SECURITY.

Read this thread and you would be surprised.
May 10, 2017
340 posts
58 upvotes
@ChrisCYWG

Right now you're enjoying your free stuff. But soon you'll find out that nothing is for free.
You simply will pay double prices soon ... one way or another.

P.S. You just disagreed with TrevorB177692 on his comment regarding raising shipping prices. And surprisingly you don't see the logic behind your last comments and consequences of "free stuff" .
Dec 1, 2017
5 posts
@nixrfd
Please do elaborate how I am enjoying my FREE stuff as you say? Last I checked I've paid for everything and waiting impatiently for my shit to show up, and hoping no one stole it on the way..
My paypal example stems from a friend in Colorado who had the exact scenario I stated happen to him..
The problem with ordering from overseas is half the time the smaller companies don't want to be bothered with all the extra documentation involved with using the bigger shipping companies like UPS etc.. its easier to goto the local post office and let them deal with it.. and thats EXACTLY what happened with my shipment from Belgium.. it went from some local drop off shop and off it goes..the shipper gets a tracking number to send to the purchaser and its out of their hands.. I've asked them several times where it is and all they can provide me is the bpost tracking info... I hate sending anything or receiving anything from overseas via post.. its always a crap shoot on when and if its going to arrive...
May 10, 2017
340 posts
58 upvotes
@ChrisCYWG

Well, if you don't take advantage of "delivery proof" then you don't. I'm not trying to imply anything.

But just re-read your own message, it sounds like you're advocating Canada Post strategy to hide tracking details for "registered" parcels/packets.
ChrisCYWG wrote: ... so what is so special about the "registered" stuff...
... and of theres no track of delivery, no one will ever know you got your stuff!
May 10, 2017
340 posts
58 upvotes
ChrisCYWG wrote:
I've asked them several times where it is and all they can provide me is the bpost tracking info...

I hate sending anything or receiving anything from overseas via post.. its always a crap shoot on when and if its going to arrive...
You still don't see what is going on? ... Really?

Belgium Post gives your tracking details and Canada Post hides them. Don't forget it's half and half. First, Belgium Post gives you the info and then Canada Post is supposed to follow the suit.

I don't know maybe we're on the different pages, so to speak, and we don't understand each other. It's possible that someone of us is missing some piece of the "shipping" puzzle.

I'm still trying to decipher your messages.
ChrisCYWG wrote: The problem with ordering from overseas is half the time the smaller companies don't want to be bothered with all the extra documentation involved with using the bigger shipping companies like UPS etc..
Ok, I see ... if I got you right, then it's obvious that so called "smaller companies" try to avoid "legalized racketeers" like UPS, FedEx and other shipping couriers because of complains from the customers. And I guess that "extra documentation" means extra fees, right?
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1322 posts
906 upvotes
East of Toronto
Mrsold33 wrote: Thats when you actually can choose a shipping method. Ordered something from china on a website, didnt have any shipping methods choices(actually they dont even tell whats the carrier). Arrived canada november 14 "sent for further processing" in richmond and no updates since then.. the damn waiting game
Sometimes I wonder if it is not due to CBSA checking mail given all of the fentanyl that supposedly comes in from China.
Nov 23, 2017
30 posts
1 upvote
DRC wrote: Sometimes I wonder if it is not due to CBSA checking mail given all of the fentanyl that supposedly comes in from China.
I dont know about that. But I ordered from the same website from china on november 1st and received my order in 2 weeks. That one order that is stuck was ordered on october 31 and it still stuck on arrived to canada and sent for further processing in richmond on november 14. And its just a figure, nothing illegal. Have to blame it on the current "overload" of parcels like stated on the canada post website I guess. That or my parcel is just lost.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
ChrisCYWG wrote: Was not actually aware of that... so what is so special about the "registered" stuff... I wonder how many people have purchased with paypal, claimed the parcel didnt show up, get a refund, and then get stuff for free.. because paypal ALWAYS sides with the buyer... and of theres no track of delivery, no one will ever know you got your stuff!
i'm guessing its just starting to piss off some sellers. i had an order canceled from ebay last month. the seller saw i was from canada and messaged me saying OH your from canada yah ill be canceling your order my last 3 shipments there got disputed and refunded and all the shipments for 2017 that did show up took 45-60+ days to show vs 30 or less in 2016 .

the longer these delays go on the more sellers from overseas will not want to send to canada or they will start forcing people to use e.m.s so they tracking number actually works.
Sep 21, 2015
526 posts
184 upvotes
London, ON
Mrsold33 wrote: I dont know about that. But I ordered from the same website from china on november 1st and received my order in 2 weeks. That one order that is stuck was ordered on october 31 and it still stuck on arrived to canada and sent for further processing in richmond on november 14. And its just a figure, nothing illegal. Have to blame it on the current "overload" of parcels like stated on the canada post website I guess. That or my parcel is just lost.
I've received a lot of items over the past week or so that arrived in Canada mid-October (1-2 weeks from time of order to arrival in Canada, and 6 weeks from arrival in Canada until delivery).

At the same time, i've also already received numerous items ordered 11/11.