• Aug 19th, 2017 10:08 am
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10115 posts
3070 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
arnycus wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 10:20 am
Except these ones reported thousands of very similar cases here by now, all showing the clear trend of Canada Post significantly degraded lower shipping cost packets processing over the last 3 years, and also degraded electronic information services for their entire products range. And many of these ones posted long lists of documented packet delivery patterns for extended time frame.
I too experienced lengthy delays from last fall until this spring with packages from China. I mentioned my recent experience with the UK because it was such a contrast with the other poster's in an almost identical scenario.

I've also had better delivery times with stuff from China this summer. "Better" in this case means about a month rather than several months as before. Perhaps I'm just lucky. I'd like to believe that the delays before were in part due to the fentanyl crisis that required an increase in the number and thoroughness of inspections for which CPC and CBSA were ill prepared.

In any case most of the stuff I buy overseas is valued at under (or slightly over) CA$20 in order to avoid brokerage/duty/HST charges. My expectations of fast/tracked delivery are tempered by the reality that on low-end stuff like this there's not much money for the shipper to spend on "free" shipping. Hence they're going to use the cheapest option they can find.
That evidence is more than enough to start Class Action against CP, while demanding from Canada Government to implement drastic reversal of current CP packet delay policies introduced 3 years ago, and restore adequate public access to mail tracking info.
What would be the basis of such a CA suit? What commitment did CPC make to us that they've failed (literally) to deliver? I get that there have been major delays and that these may still be occurring. But a CA suit won't go anywhere. A concerted campaign in the media and letter-writing campaign to MPs might (although I have my doubts.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Jun 13, 2017
212 posts
193 upvotes
I had flexdelviery that was delivered earlier than home. Home delivery has been a joke. Nothing delivered in few days and I'm still waiting for number of items. It feels like they are opening a bin when they feel like then few days of nothing.

Several items never arrived this year including laptop A/C brick and cleaning clothes.
Mar 6, 2005
397 posts
88 upvotes
Does anyone know if this is normal? Its been a week just in the same state?

July 28, 2017, 4:47 pm Processed Through Facility CANADA
Your item was processed through a facility in CANADA on July 28, 2017 at 4:47 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
July 28, 2017, 6:47 am Customs Clearance CANADA
July 27, 2017, 9:14 pm Processed Through Facility ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
July 27, 2017, 9:09 pm Arrived at Facility ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
Jun 27, 2017
50 posts
3 upvotes
rantingcanuck wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 8:49 am
can't be bothered to scroll through all the previous replies. but I have two small packages that are from Asia that are sent via EMS. CP with their load of bollocks says that we get what we pay for, implying free shipping has less priority, but I've yet to receive any notification on my EMS package that's being currently reviewed by CBSA.
And how long have been waiting? I've been waiting for 8 weeks now...my parcel was shipped via EMS as well. This is ridiculous.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13798 posts
2339 upvotes
Toronto
Still slow as ass. Taking over 2 months to get items. Honestly third world postal service and customs. Terrible.
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2009
633 posts
243 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 10:59 am
What would be the basis of such a CA suit? What commitment did CPC make to us that they've failed (literally) to deliver? I get that there have been major delays and that these may still be occurring. But a CA suit won't go anywhere. A concerted campaign in the media and letter-writing campaign to MPs might (although I have my doubts.)
A concerted media campaign can only work if there is political will to change status quo. The problem is, due to CP unionized workforce demanding higher and higher pay, and no lay offs despite automation, while CP leadership eye balls privatization, Government will hardly do anything as long as CP pays their wages from own pocket, and relieves the feds from that burden, while Canadians are dead silent about their civil rights violation. In turn, CP will keep racketeering Canadians by purposely delaying mail delivery to pay higher shipping fees abroad.

A Class Action is the most realistic approach to solve this issue. The basis was discussed in detail earlier in this thread. Such CAs can be filed separately in each province, and later joined into one, if filed through local branches of the same CA law firm. Shortly, you can find the basis for example here (post #2768). Only specialized CA law firms can decide whether such CA is realistic for court certification and winnable or not, its not for forum users to decide that. The problem is not whether the suit is winnable, but in that most folks simply don't want to request CA law firms to file such a suit, despite its free for plaintiffs. They think, their material losses from mail delays are relatively low and at times hard to prove, so regardless of the suit outcome they won't get much compensation paid. Most miss the entire point of the CA suit - to force CP to comply with Canadian and international laws, international Postal Agreements, and Canada Charter of Rights, and deliver mail locally without artificial delays regardless how much customers paid abroad for shipping it to Canada.
Jan 4, 2017
286 posts
160 upvotes
Calgary
Met with Kent Hehr and his assistant for 30 mins today. Kent is MP for Calgary Centre and Federal Minister of Veteran Affairs. Both were unbelievably well informed from previous communication and had watched the CTV coverage. The meeting was very pleasant and both were very interested in the problem "the last bastion of Harperism in Canada".

While Kent, a former lawyer, does not think the Charter of Rights and Freedoms is breached by "undue seizure", he will write a letter to the minister in charge, Carr, to get things rolling. I will have input in that letter.

Kent asked me how the problem can be solved. I said:

1. Replace Canada Post's upper management ("the fish is rotting from the head").
2. Regulate mail delivery/stop self regulation
3. Re-introduce the pre-2014 services including transparency ("tracking")
4. Find a fair price/service ratio

Hope that helps.

Photo: Rocking the Casbah in Calgary - two brothers from different mothers.

IMG_4701.JPG
We came, we saw, we left!
Jun 17, 2017
16 posts
3 upvotes
JurgenK857634 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 9:17 pm
Met with Kent Hehr and his assistant for 30 mins today. Kent is MP for Calgary Centre and Federal Minister of Veteran Affairs. Both were unbelievably well informed from previous communication and had watched the CTV coverage. The meeting was very pleasant and both were very interested in the problem "the last bastion of Harperism in Canada".

While Kent, a former lawyer, does not think the Charter of Rights and Freedoms is breached by "undue seizure", he will write a letter to the minister in charge, Carr, to get things rolling. I will have input in that letter.

Kent asked me how the problem can be solved. I said:

1. Replace Canada Post's upper management ("the fish is rotting from the head").
2. Regulate mail delivery/stop self regulation
3. Re-introduce the pre-2014 services including transparency ("tracking")
4. Find a fair price/service ratio

Hope that helps.

Photo: Rocking the Casbah in Calgary - two brothers from different mothers.

IMG_4701.JPG
Right on the spot, Jurgen. Most Canadians are not aware of this problem either because they don't shop online, they don't shop from Asia, or they are too busy to care how long a package takes to arrive. I hope every one solution you offered actually happens, so we can have a better Canada Post, better mail delivery, and tracking on registered items. We shouldn't have to rely on a Russian website to get tracking info on our packages!
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
2865 posts
529 upvotes
Edmonton
My last package from aliexpress took 2 months, and was damaged as well. Definitely way way slower than things have been in the past. This was ems free shipping I believe.

But we ordered a few things through amazon from china, and they arrived in under 2 weeks. I forget what method those were, as we paid a few dollars for shipping.
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2009
633 posts
243 upvotes
JurgenK857634 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 9:17 pm
He will write a letter to the minister in charge, Carr, to get things rolling. I will have input in that letter.
Great news Jurgen! I assume that was Franconian Rauchbier beer that led to the brotherhood? Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Hope, it'll help to move the problem closer to resolution. Mr Carr would have to reply something on such a letter in writing, hopefully even undertake some real action without waiting for the minister Ms Foote to return from her leave. Thanks Mr Hehr for pushing this important for every Canadian matter forward!
Last edited by arnycus on Aug 5th, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 4, 2017
1 posts
Can someone help me understand this? I ordered a phone off ebay coming from Taiwan. Shipped out July 26. Fedex tracking had it slated for delivery on Aug 31. Package arrived in Mississauga on the 30th and I got a call from fedex monday morning the 31st to pay for taxes which I did over the phone. Package was "In Transit - Package available for clearance" in Mississauga. However it wasn't delivered on the 31st and there were no updates until I called in on Wed and they told me it would take a day or two. After I hung up with the csr the updated scan "clearance delay-import" showed up. I called again on thursday and they said they would open up a trace file as they weren't sure what happened. It is now Sat Aug 5th and still no package. What's confusing is that on the fedex tracking it has a "clearance delay" alert with an exclamation but beneath that it says Richmond, BC. It had changed from Mississauga, ON since yesterday, after I had spoken to customer service again. Yes I called a third time. Does this mean the phone is now in Richmond, BC or was it never actually here? Or maybe it's lost? I contacted fedex regarding this and they told as per their records the package is still undergoing customs clearance. I took 2 screenshots one for when it still said MIssissauga, ON and subsequently when it had changed to Richmond, BC.

Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2009
633 posts
243 upvotes
FedEx is considered "trusted courier", therefore its shipments are usually cleared in-flight by Customs processing docs submitted by FedEx, without actual package inspection upon arrival. FedEx also uses its own aircraft fleet to deliver cargo. In your case, it appears Customs in Mississauga is busy, and since they have contract with FedEx to clear time sensitive shipments, for which FedEx otherwise would have to refund shipping fee, they may sent the docs to Richmond for clearance. This is one possible scenario. Another scenario, the phone may be lost or stolen on route, or put on the wrong flight to Richmond instead of Mississauga, and now FedEx tries to unload responsibility on Customs and drag time. Submit your claim only in writing, request reference numbers and notes for every conversation. In my experience, FedEx can try to play all kind of delay tactics to avoid paying insurance or shipping refund if the deadline is missed. They can also claim the shipper would have to request a trace and refund, but most logistics companies in Asia don't want to press FedEx due to good deals on volume express services. You can ask the shipper to inform FedEx they entrust you to file any claims.
Dec 5, 2005
726 posts
64 upvotes
CP Ombudsman was a waste of time. When you log a complaint a tracking number or CP service ticket (which also needs a tracking number) is required. I did not have one and got nowhere. Off to my MP next.

The second item I was waiting for did arrive late last week (almost 60 days from UK). So only 1 more item to go. Neither of these items were inspected in any way by CBSA.

Here's the reply I got:
Good day XXX,

I am writing to you regarding ombudsman file XXXXX.

Unfortunately there is not enough information regarding your CD coming from the UK.

Was it sent with a tracking number and when was it sent?

As you may know, International postal regulations require that every item entering Canada is subject to review for admissibility into Canada by the Canada Border Services Agency.  On occasion, an item may be sent for secondary inspection which may cause a further delay in the clearance time.

Please understand that Canada Post has no involvement whatsoever with the Customs clearance process or regulations. As indicated on our website, “Canada Post has no information on specific items awaiting customs inspection.”

Once an item is released by Customs, Canada Post is then responsible for the sorting, transportation and delivery of the shipment.

Should you wish to open an inquiry for an inbound International item, please contact the shipper and request that they submit the inquiry with the Postal Administration in which the item was mailed.

Thank you
Mitch Chouinard

T1 Officer, Customer Service│Winnipeg │ Canada Post
Feb 28, 2010
169 posts
23 upvotes
Canada
arnycus wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 10:20 am
That evidence is more than enough to start Class Action against CP, while demanding from Canada Government to implement drastic reversal of current CP packet delay policies introduced 3 years ago, and restore adequate public access to mail tracking info.
I haven't been following for quite a while as I've been to busy and have basically stopped using CP as I now have a family member in the US willing to forward me stuff, but I've noticed you mentioned a Class Action lawsuit against Canada Post... Is this wishful thinking or is it real? If so I would like to sign up for it and bring along half a dozen other signatures to it from family members who have had similar experiences to mine.

I am positive that if such a petition or lawsuit was to be brought on, the Canadian Government would reverse the Mulroney Disaster of the last 30 years in a jiffy. This is probably the second most frustrating thing living in Canada (the horrible state of our roads being the first). Family in the US just can't grasp why I'm always asking for these favors, because they just can't fathom the gravity of the situation we are facing, unless they have lived there for a while.

On a lighter note, recent items ordered from China have taken on average a little less than two months, from an average of almost three months back in Winter, and I'm trying to plan purchases for stuff i may be needing before the first snows.

Finally, does anyone know if PayPal Canada has reduced its refund policy in Canada from the 6 months that was the norm back in winter? I received a message saying this policy would change in Canada starting in July, but haven't been able to get a straight answer from PayPal customer support.