Mail Processing at Canada Customs SLOW?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2017 11:55 pm
May 10, 2017
144 posts
20 upvotes
Old Faithful wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 11:37 am
I haven't been following for quite a while as I've been to busy and have basically stopped using CP as I now have a family member in the US willing to forward me stuff, but I've noticed you mentioned a Class Action lawsuit against Canada Post... Is this wishful thinking or is it real? If so I would like to sign up for it and bring along half a dozen other signatures to it from family members who have had similar experiences to mine.
Unfortunately, it's wishful thinking at this point and I believe a Class Action lawsuit will never materialize because of politics, hidden agenda and trade wars. And this is not simply pessimistic views from my side. The "boiling frog" is just making its last erratic movements. It's a question of "WHEN" not "IF". JurgenK857634 is the one of the last live neurons of this society who are trying to do something.
Read the post #2924
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
278 upvotes
chaingunsofdoom wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 11:28 am
"Please understand that Canada Post has no involvement whatsoever with the Customs clearance process or regulations. "
With all we know about how CP operates, reading this you can either laugh or cry. The guy doesn't know anything about your package, yet claims its delayed by Customs. Ask him when was the package presented by CP to Customs. If no cognitive reply, definitely write to your MP.
nixrfd wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 10:21 pm
its wishful thinking
Who prevents YOU from contacting a specialized law firm with the class action proposal? Why do you expect it from someone else, but not YOU?
May 10, 2017
144 posts
20 upvotes
arnycus wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 10:43 pm
Who prevents YOU from contacting a specialized law firm with the class action proposal? Why do you expect it from someone else, but not YOU?
Time waste (money) and headache from so-called lawyers. Did you start Class Action lawsuit yourself? If you did, can you suggest good law firm with minimum hassle?

Or are you waiting for "critical mass"?
Last edited by nixrfd on Aug 7th, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
278 upvotes
Old Faithful wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 11:37 am
I haven't been following for quite a while
Long time no see. I know you're still faithful, but didn't expect you to feel that old. Smiling Face With Open Mouth To my knowledge, Paypal didn't change 180 days claim threshold. I did notice too after CBC reports remaining mail backlog from last Christmas was seldom reported by the members, and new orders delivery time from overseas a bit shorten. It may also be caused by traditionally lower mail volumes during summer.

Earlier in this thread there were detailed a number of perceived legal act violations by grossly delaying mail, including Charter of Rights, which makes it quite real to propose a specialized law firm to file a Class Action suite. Not sure if anyone actually did it, but it usually takes time for a law firm to review such proposal, research the issue, make timeline and cost estimates, and get back to you. Also, it may take about a year for such suit and its plaintiffs class to be certified by a court. After that a series of hearings on the matter can be scheduled, and may take extra time, to say the least. Winking Face Guess, without a lawyer most folks are having hard time estimating damages from mail delays. But the lawyers can quantify it easily, case by case, including all kinds of consequential losses, pain and suffering, and at times huge expenses and even tragedy. I remember reading, one person ordered a blood pressure monitor in China on doctor's advice for his aunt, and the listing stated short delivery times. But after 3 months delivery delay in Canada, her health greatly degraded without ongoing blood pressure monitoring and promptly taking prescribed medication, resulting in an extensive stroke. Imaging related suffering and huge personal care costs caused by this mail delays game.

I'd think the next reasonable step after CBC Reports and contacts with MPs some members reported here, will be asking the MPs to introduce and support law amendments in Parliament outlining CP and CBSA mail processing time deadlines. That would be a game changer for sure, including in terms of enforcement and penalties for non-compliance. Everyone is welcome to post here corresponding amendment proposals. CP is so persistent with their current practices and agenda despite long time extensive critique, so it feels like short of replacing the management nothing is likely to change the status quo. Some posted on the web, CP staff wrote the conclusions presented by "independent" government CP Review Panel. But firmly set in law mail processing deadlines and penalties for violations will work, as they'll empower with now missing tools ordinary CP customers. Anyone would take CP to a Small Claims Court or Consumer Protection Agency, if the law stipulates maximum mail service deadlines and penalties. Fiscal responsibility would change attitude of CP employees and management entirely towards restoring and further improving tracking and prompt overseas mail delivery service.
Jun 11, 2015
67 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
TWELVES wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 9:40 pm
Has anyone else seen an improvement in processing speed?

Perhaps I'm hallucinating, but most of my orders are coming in ~2 months now, versus ~3 months a few months ago.

Current status of orders (with a fairly large sample):

orders placed 0-1 mo have 20% of them delivered
1-2 mo: 40%
2-3 mo: 70%
3-4 mo: 90%
4+ mo: 100%
There has definitely been a speed up. Since my post a month ago, the average time for processing has dropped from about 70 days to about 40 days. Good job Canada post! (As mentioned elsewhere, I put in about 20 orders a month.)

orders placed 0-1 mo have 0% of them delivered
1-2 mo: 90%
2+ mo: 100%
Jun 27, 2017
62 posts
3 upvotes
Approaching Day 60 for my EMS parcel. Still no updates and nothing from Japan Post...

I will still shop online to buy things I want but I will try to control myself from buying a lot from now on. And I will NEVER in my LIFE use Canada Post to mail stuff domestically. Third-world service that doesn't deserve our MONEY.

If there ever is one thing that I hate about Canada, and that'd be Canada Post. A disgrace to our country.
Aug 7, 2017
0 posts
1 upvote
I shipped an order to Canada on May 13. My buyer contacted me saying they did not receive the package. I was about to refund her when by chance I checked the tracking before I did.

The usual delivery time is 10 to 15 days, depending on class of mail and whether the item will incur taxes. However, longer in-transit times can happen if USPS does not process packages in a timely manner. So don't blame it on CanadaPost or Canadian Customs.
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
278 upvotes
skinwants wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 12:53 am
longer in-transit times can happen if USPS does not process packages in a timely manner.
Nice 1st post, very affirmative. Can you post your tracking info, so we can make our own conclusions? Winking Face
Jan 4, 2017
289 posts
161 upvotes
Calgary
skinwants wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 12:53 am
IHowever, longer in-transit times can happen if USPS does not process packages in a timely manner. So don't blame it on CanadaPost or Canadian Customs.
Sure, however in all my tens of recent cases, Asian postal services sent their stuff to Canada between 4 and 14 days, and then it took another up to 148 days for delivery. I can't blame USPS for delayed shipments from Asia, can I?
We came, we saw, we left!
Jun 17, 2017
21 posts
Ok, so last time, a UK order via Royal Mail registered mail was delivered to my door about a month after it was shipped from the UK.
Today, I received my other UK order at a more normal time range. It was shipped last July 30, and received today August 9. So I received it within 7-10 days. So far so good CP. hehe.

On the other hand, I've two more UK registered mail packages ordered earlier than July 30 that have yet to be delivered. Now I hope to receive them a month (max.) after they were shipped. We'll see.
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
278 upvotes
nixrfd wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 11:02 pm
Time waste (money) and headache from so-called lawyers. Can you suggest good law firm with minimum hassle?
Or are you waiting for "critical mass"?
I believe, a Class Action suit should address CP customers complaints regarding intentional overseas mail delivery delays. The court may also establish service standards CP and CBSA must follow. As an alternative, Canada Post and CBSA related law amendments, if enacted by Parliament, will also guarantee to improve CP and CBSA discipline in overseas mail delivery in the future and stop current shipping fee racket, as mail recipients themselves would easily monitor and enforce compliance. So both pathways take time, compare to faster Government actions, but we don't see any notable action from Government for a long time despite numerous election time and past election promises, which means the above 2 choices are the most realistic now, and can be pursued in parallel.

Despite running Class Action suit is free for plaintiffs, there is often inertia in filing. It doesn't take much effort to file a proposal with a specialized law firm or many such firms, but outcome may depend on how good the subject was researched by the plaintiff and quality & depth of the proposal, also many other factors. If such proposal is accepted, sure plenty of people will join as members of the class, because mail delays affect everyone in Canada. There are a number of specialized Class Action law firms in Canada, so it also depends on their current resources - some may be less busy, or have more expertise or interest in certain law subjects. I don't share ballpark negative view about all lawyers, since some are good and also better communicate with clients, some are bad or mediocre, and some are brutally dishonest and very ugly. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

In Canada, among other cases relevant to mail orders delivery I found, Siskinds Law Firm filed a Class Action against UPS. Its a national firm, so class actions in every province will likely be joined into one. Also, in BC a smaller firm Poyner & Baxter filed Class Action suits against FedEx and UPS charging high brokerage fees. Here is there FedEx claim example. Different law firms try to coordinate their actions and strategy to fight together in relevant cases. Some smaller firms can show more interest in certain CA suits compare to big ones. They carry all the expenses, but also take large part of ordered by courts or settled compensation. The end result in case of Canada Post will certainly benefit every Canadian regardless of monetary compensation, as courts tend to issue very particular orders how the things must be run in the future - in contrast with current laws that are very vague in CP and CBSA service obligations to Canadian consumers, thus providing no meaningful consumer protection in overseas mail delivery.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3681 posts
487 upvotes
Richmond
JurgenK857634 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 9:17 pm
Met with Kent Hehr and his assistant for 30 mins today. Kent is MP for Calgary Centre and Federal Minister of Veteran Affairs. Both were unbelievably well informed from previous communication and had watched the CTV coverage. The meeting was very pleasant and both were very interested in the problem "the last bastion of Harperism in Canada".

While Kent, a former lawyer, does not think the Charter of Rights and Freedoms is breached by "undue seizure", he will write a letter to the minister in charge, Carr, to get things rolling. I will have input in that letter.

Kent asked me how the problem can be solved. I said:

1. Replace Canada Post's upper management ("the fish is rotting from the head").
2. Regulate mail delivery/stop self regulation
3. Re-introduce the pre-2014 services including transparency ("tracking")
4. Find a fair price/service ratio

Hope that helps.

Photo: Rocking the Casbah in Calgary - two brothers from different mothers.

IMG_4701.JPG
hope they fix the mess harper caused eventually. In the meantime we can only be patient
Nov 15, 2008
91 posts
10 upvotes
Vancouver
Still waiting on my parcel from Bulgaria. It's a registered item, and still not showing up on the Russian tracking site as having arrived in Canada. Could it be slowly rotting away unreleased by Customs? Tracking states it was sent abroad on July 13.
May 10, 2017
144 posts
20 upvotes
Finally I got my order from China (Aliexpress). 96 days of waiting, although this time seller shipped parcel with 3 week delay. Nevertheless parcel was sitting for more than 2 months (75 days) in CP premises.

Trackitonline.ru website didn't show any updates since 27MAY2017, only got updated one day before parcel was delivered (saying: 08.08.2017 00:29 Sorting Mississauga )

ORDER$:$15.08
TRACK.#:RS61175****CN
ORDERED:06MAY2017
SHIPPED:25MAY2017
ARRIVED:27MAY2017
REFUND:NO
RECEIVED:09AUG2017
TIME-SINCE-ARRIVED-TO-CANADA: 75 DAYS (09AUG2017)
TIME-SINCE-SHIPPED: 77 DAYS (09AUG2017)
TIME-SINCE-ORDERED: 96 DAYS (09AUG2017)
Sep 14, 2009
848 posts
261 upvotes
Halifax
First time posting to this thread, and I've a different angle to present. I'm a part-time seller on eBay, shipping 2-3 items a day, often domestically through Canada Post Lettermail (DVDs, CDs, etc).

I got a note from a buyer last night, who is in Victoria. BC, and reported his item arrived on the 8th of August (this past Tuesday).

I shipped it from Halifax on April 6th, 2017. I'd already refunded him back in early June after we assumed it was lost, and he was nice enough to re-send the payment.

This is now the 13th item that I've sent domestically, since the spring, that has taken longer than 3 weeks within Canada. This was the longest by far. But I've had some others take 56 days to Saskatoon, 21 days to Ottawa, and so forth.