Shopping Discussion

Mail Processing at Canada Customs SLOW?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2017 4:40 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2878 posts
452 upvotes
^^ @arnycus: Thanks for the detailed explanation of the process.
arnycus wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 9:51 am
Ask CP what exact regulation requires that.
Don't need to. It's in the Canada Post Corporation Act, R.S.C. 1985 c. C-10, §42(2.1) [link]
arnycus wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 9:51 am
Also keep in mind, once a container or pallet is unloaded from a ship, airline, or truck in Canada, its brought by CP to their nearest plant yard, and may sit on that yard indefinitely long (reportedly up to 6 months) without been scanned and admitted to arrive in Canada.
If that is happening, the big question is WHY? The only reason I can think of is that the CBSA is backed up. No point in doing anything if the CBSA says "We can't even look at the manifest right now". Canada, as a member country of the Universal Postal Union, must see to it that "As a general rule, parcels shall be delivered to the addressees as soon as possible" (as stated in UPU's Article RC116, Delivery Procedure). So they are mandated not to delay mail.

In fact, referring back to our own CPC Act, §49 says:
CPC Act wrote:Abandonment of mail
49 Every person commits an offence who unlawfully and knowingly abandons, misdirects, obstructs, delays or detains the progress of any mail or mail conveyance.
1980-81-82-83, c. 54, s. 43.
At we've had no news that CPC's directors are being rounded up, I take it this means that CP is lawfully obstructing, delaying, or detaining mail. How does that even make sense? As the current situation would not be deemed reasonably acceptable to the majority of Canadians, then either the law needs to change to hold them accountable for holding our mail beyond a reasonable time, or specific time limits need to be stated and enforced, out of respect for the residents of Canada, the Universal Postal Union agreements, and all senders, globally.

UPDATE: My parcel from Europe did not arrive today and there's been no status update. So I just got off the phone with Canada Post. Completely utterly useless, a waste of time.

I gave them my tracking # and was told (as expected) that it is not trackable as it is of international origin. I told them that the Euro postal service's tracking service reveals that my parcel has been here in Canada for 1 month, and assuming that it was a customs inspection backlog, I had already contacted the CBSA, and they had just re-directed me back to CP, hence my phone call. The c/s rep's answer: "Sir, you are not the sender. All enquiries must originate with the sender. You need to tell the person who sent the item to contact us."

I explained that the vendor of my goods is in Spain and it's possible they don't speak English, so asked how they are meant to do that — does CP have Spanish speaking telephone agents on standby? And for that matter, do they have agents fluent in all global languages manning the inbound email system, to respond similar enquiries? Her answer changed slightly: "Sir, they must initiate an investigation through their local postal service".

My own ability to communicate in Spanish is limited and I'm therefore reluctant to have to try explaining in Spanish what needs to be done in order to move this investigation forward. Considering what she'd said about "sender has to initiate", I realized that it was I who had paid for the postage — so I tried a new tactic: I announced that as the payer of postage, I was both the sender and receiver. I mean, for all either of us knows, the vendor has parcel pick-up service and never had to physically go to a mailbox. In any case, there is no dispute that the item was mailed, or how, or when, as that is all provable via the Euro tracking number — so what difference does it makes who is enquiring? As the payer of postage, I demanded an answer as to why my package has been held up in Canada, specifically whether it was CP's fault or CBSA's. But sill, she refused to budge. "Sir, you cannot do that. We have a process. It must be followed".

She then started her closing spiel, thanking me for my business. I interrupted her and said "See, I am not a CP customer in this instance, I'm a customer of a postal service in Europe, who got absolutely nowhere in this phone call today". I then hung up on her.

Seriously, what do we have to do to get someone to take responsibility for our mail? Disappointed But Relieved Face
Last edited by RenegadeX on Aug 11th, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1586 posts
302 upvotes
Gatineau
I had a package sent by EMS from Japan and it was cleared by custom in 1 minute...
Today I had another EMS package arrived into Canada, what's the typical processing time in custom now? I hope it's not few weeks or even few months!
Oct 12, 2012
382 posts
343 upvotes
Some orders from June-July. All are ordered from eBay or Aliexpress using the cheapest free shipping option and going to Vancouver.

Ordered June 13, arrived Aug 8 (56 days)
Ordered June 13, arrived Aug 9 (57 days)
Ordered June 13, arrived Aug 10 (58 days)
Ordered July 3, arrived Aug 10 (38 days)
Ordered July 10, arrived Aug 11 (32 days)
Ordered July 10, not yet arrived
Ordered July 10, not yet arrived
Ordered July 16, not yet arrived
Ordered July 27, not yet arrived
Ordered July 27, not yet arrived

Getting faster?
Oct 15, 2012
27 posts
2 upvotes
OTTAWA
I'm glad that I'm not only one with problems with Canada Post. I ordered a vinyl record from the UK via Amazon UK's third party seller since June 28th and an another from Switzerland since July 17th. Both of them have yet to arrive, which would otherwise take at least two weeks to arrive.
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
281 upvotes
ArghosRho wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 4:20 pm
my package got sent from UK to the Middle East via express (but I did not choose express and they probably figured that I'm the same customer who never received my package) and I'm being charged by customs there for $38 CAD.
If you requested the seller to ship the item from UK to your Canada address, then there was a shipping error, or you misunderstood something. The best you can do now is to post here your tracking number and the letter from Customs or the express service, so we can help you better. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
281 upvotes
RenegadeX wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 4:42 pm
If that is happening, the big question is WHY? The only reason I can think of is that the CBSA is backed up. Canada, as a member country of the Universal Postal Union, must see to it that "As a general rule, parcels shall be delivered to the addressees as soon as possible" (as stated in UPU's Article RC116, Delivery Procedure). So they are mandated not to delay mail.

In fact, referring back to our own CPC Act, §49 says about the same. At we've had no news that CPC's directors are being rounded up, I take it this means that CP is lawfully obstructing, delaying, or detaining mail. How does that even make sense?
The issues you discovered were stated by many here and elsewhere on the web. As people noted on this forum, with the law being so vague (CPC Act sec 50(1) mentions non-specific "reasonable cause" for delay) and given absolute lack of its enforcement ever with regards to CP management practices, CP seems to be given carte blanche to treat it as they see fit. So 3 years ago they stopped releasing tracking data for registered overseas mail to the public, while greatly degraded overseas and some domestic mail delivery times. CP employees sign lengthy non-disclosure agreements about company practices, so short of RCMP investigation and/or court proceedings its hard for ordinary customers to prove now CP violated the law and purposely withheld mail for a long time before handing it over to Customs or after its being cleared for delivery. The reasons they do it - people stated many in this thread with hot talk. To mention a few:
- maintain insufficient sorting staff levels to cut costs, so regular mail is processed only when there is no other workload in the pipeline;
- push mail recipients to pay higher shipping fees next time for costly faster shipping methods. Some say its racket, but apparently CP gets away with it;
- some mentioned mostly personal, like prioritizing shipments from certain major portals - Amazon, Ebay. Help Canada retail lobby to increase sales locally;
- show the need for CP privatization as the only way to improve service, since despite recent years large investments in CP infrastructure the service worsen.

Apart from many members sharing their personal delivery stats and experiences here, reports were also aired by CBC TV News showing CP holding cleared by Customs mail cages at their plants without processing, and CP Union reports published stating numerous mail containers were held for many months at CP plant backyards unopen without handing over to Customs.
RenegadeX wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 4:42 pm
I just got off the phone with Canada Post. Completely utterly useless, a waste of time. CSR said "you need to tell the person who sent the item to contact their post". Seriously, what do we have to do to get someone to take responsibility for our mail? Disappointed But Relieved Face
CP advising you to ask the shipper overseas to file a trace automatically delays the insurance claim yet for another 3 months. And whether they'll find your mail or not - there will be no personal consequences for CP staff. At max a Postal Insurer company will pay off some losses to the shipper in another country, if its included in the shipping method used. Many postal services don't accept trace requests until certain time is passed like 2+ months from estimated delivery date. So for a regular customer its pretty hard to hold CP accountable for anything, unless many customers unite and strongly express their dissatisfaction and demand for better service. CP management is well aware of that, so despite all above law requirements they wrote many times in replies to complaints "we consider regular mail customers having no specific delivery time expectations".

That's what happens when the vital for Canadians mail service holding monopoly in lettermail delivery in Canada is allowed to self-regulate delivery standards. For local mail categories they violate own published delivery times, for regular overseas mail - heavily degrade earlier achieved processing deadlines. In summer mail volume is much lower, but starting from September overseas mail delays will likely start picking again beyond 3 months term instead of reasonable 1-2 weeks as done from Asia by USPS. How do we hold CP responsible for mail delays? It was discussed here as well:
- мany folks wrote and some met with their MPs, asking for real CPC service improvements;
- among possible scenarios discussed were Class Action law suits in each province;
- law amendments introduced and supported by the contacted MPs that clearly specify mail processing deadlines and penalties for non-compliance;
- pressure on the Ministry responsible for CP operation (see 1st page Summary to this thread);
- ongoing media reports to reflect any progress with CP mail delivery times;
- general public or MPs requesting RCMP to conduct an investigation into alleged CPC Act violations by CPC management such as intentional mail delays, based on above mentioned CBC News and Union reports of CP mail withholding before and after release from Customs, as well as data of own mail orders processing collected by the public.

Together we can certainly get our postal service back, turned towards the right priorities to promptly service Canadians. Canadian public is the owner of Canada Post, not its current management. May be its time to remind about this?
Last edited by arnycus on Aug 11th, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nov 25, 2007
728 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
Ebay order from HK shipped Jun 25 and arrived Aug 11
Lightinthebox order from China shipped Jul 19 arrived Aug 11
Feb 18, 2012
239 posts
54 upvotes
Victoria
Theyre taking so long because they're charging everybody duty and taxes now its a joke. Frickin charging me $9.95 to collect $4.76 in tax what a ripoff.
Nov 15, 2008
95 posts
10 upvotes
Vancouver
Horsey2345 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 4:15 pm
Theyre taking so long because they're charging everybody duty and taxes now its a joke. Frickin charging me $9.95 to collect $4.76 in tax what a ripoff.
WOW! That really is surprising. Sorry it happened. May I ask what you bought and from where? And what the declared value was? (I've got 2ndhand clothes coming from Bulgaria, so not looking to get dinged.)
Nov 12, 2011
366 posts
71 upvotes
Ontario
2017/08/06 14:08 MISSISSAUGA, ON Item has arrived in Canada and was sent for further processing.

Man it's been like this since Sunday. My friend and other of my package finished customs in less than 48 hours
Nov 12, 2011
366 posts
71 upvotes
Ontario
TJFodder wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 3:22 pm
LM392054120CN from Shenzen, 95+ counting
Hey, I entered your tracking number into a tracking website and this is what I got: https://puu.sh/x8Ac3/ae590c8e1d.png from the looks of it, the package might've never left China in the first place
Nov 12, 2011
366 posts
71 upvotes
Ontario
sweenyt0dd wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 2:24 pm
Great job by CBSA holding my freaking bike headlight and mountain bike season is almost over Smiling Face With Horns

Hey, I'm literally on the same boat as you! I ordered an anime scale figure with my friend and this is what I noticed. His was also sent from the same store and his went to British Columbia > Toronto instead of LAX,USA > Mississauga, and arrived in 5 business days. Mine was sent from LAX,USA > Mississauga just like you and now it's been stuck since!

Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1586 posts
302 upvotes
Gatineau
got an update today

2017/08/12 11:39 MISSISSAUGA, ON Item processed
2017/08/11 09:18 MISSISSAUGA, ON Item has arrived in Canada and was sent for further processing.

does it mean the item is cleared from custom?