Shopping Discussion

Mail Processing at Canada Customs SLOW?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 4:52 pm
Sep 8, 2017
12 posts
Hey

I had an international package coming my way. It's registered priority air mail. Left origin on the 1st of september, never had an arrival scan in canada.

Was tracking the tracking # through 17track and CP website with double trick.

I went to check again today and now 17track is saying that Canada Post website's is down, and Canada Post is showing zero results, but website works.

I'm guessing that CP's restful interfaces might be down, but I'm also afraid it could mean something happened with my pack ? Or maybe its stuck in customs....

Has this ever happened to anyone ? Is anyone able to track their R* tracking number on CP's side this morning ( using 17track or CP double ? ).
Banned
Dec 22, 2013
377 posts
99 upvotes
Just chatted with AliExpress CSR on the issue. It looks like they use a whole bunch of scripted bull to calm down angry buyers. Smiling Face With Open Mouth But the end result always is - they just email the seller a scripted request to try resolving the issue with the buyer. Nothing obligatory.

".Sambul92
I want the item to be shipped by ePacket as ordered. I don't need the refund. The seller increased sales count at promo time, then refused to ship. They still sell the product.
.CSR
I am really concern with you and the transaction that you made with us because you are kind to me.
That is the main reason why I am making this my priority for today and I am doing my best to help you with this matter accordingly.
I humbly asking your patience to wait within 24-48 hours for the updates or the copy I will make for you. Thank you.
To help you further, I will be going to record our chat so that when you contact us back you will not explain all over again. Thank you."
May 17, 2013
137 posts
56 upvotes
Edmonton
Most of my AliExpress orders usually get here in 4-8 weeks. It's the UK that is a major problem for me.
I had one package after two months that never arrived. I contacted the company and they shipped it again. 6 weeks later my package arrives, but it's not their second shipment....it's the first.
The second one arrive 3 months after that. Orders from Japan have been odd. It use to be that EMS was the delivery to take, but now standard is faster with zero duties and my EMS shipments are getting hammered with duties.

If you want to feel some real pain place an order from Poland. 12 weeks minimum with zero tracking.

The only way to get things quickly to my door anymore is to use a courier that is reliable. I ordered some cola from Austria and they only shipped FedEx....ouch, but in the end it was worth it. FedEx screwed up on the pickup so they upgraded my shipping to Express.
It left Hamburg when they picked it up and arrived the very next morning in my city, got picked up at the airport and arrived exactly 30 minutes after that (it's a 30 minute drive to the airport). When I opened the door my head snapped back with surprise and I told him I have never seen service like that....he replied "well it's express...it's suppose to be".
Banned
Dec 22, 2013
377 posts
99 upvotes
HoneyBee843 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 11:42 am
It's registered priority air mail. Left origin on the 1st of september, never had an arrival scan in canada.
I'm assuming its coming from Asia? Can you give full tracking number, just change 2 numbers in the middle? What makes you think you should get it within 1 week instead of 2 months regardless when its arrived to Canada?
Also, mail shipped from Asia doesn't necessarily come directly to Canada. More than half is headed for Turkey and all over Europe before been forwarded to Canada, or even Europe -> USA -> Canada.
Robotron2084 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 9:08 pm
I ordered some cola from Austria and they only shipped FedEx....
DHL would do the same job for less. Also, FedEx flights across continents are usually headed from Europe to Memphis FedEx hub, then transferred to smaller aircraft heading to FedEx regional hubs all over North America.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10340 posts
656 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
My eBay China specials have been arriving in a timely manner, as of late. Still up to six weeks, but better than before.
Banned
Dec 22, 2013
377 posts
99 upvotes
OK, just wanted to give the last update on RG...CN registered mail tracking with no item pickup trace from Ali sellers. Not a single such Ali seller I contacted via Ali CSR agreed to actually ship the product and post a real proof of shipment. Some just refunded upon Dispute open, some never replied, and some replied "Don't worry". I checked their stores overall feedback (not a particular product feedback), and in each case there were many recent reports "didn't ship the item" for various items. What I'm learning from this, it may not be wise to order from sellers with the lowest item price, especially during major promos. The chance is high about 10% of such orders will never ship. If you do order, check their stores total feedback (not an item feedback) to see recent buyer reports before ordering. I guess many buyers will just give up or miss the claim deadline, so on average it gives such sellers some extra profit, but increases neg feedback for the entire store. However, most buyers never check the store feedback, they only read the product feedback they want to buy.

In my recent experience the most agile in delivery to Canada border were LVS (Belgian Post) and LP (Yanwen) shipments via Turkey. LV (ePackets) are slower in China, but hopefully faster cleared and delivered in Canada. All "number" tracking by regular China Post are tracing perfect within China. Not sure why fake shipments prefer RG numbers, probably because Registered mail better fits Ali requirements for sellers, so slows down Claim resolution. One can obtain an RG label very cheap on CNP website if stating very low item weight aiming to never ship the actual product.
Sep 8, 2017
12 posts
sambul92 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 11:44 pm
I'm assuming its coming from Asia? Can you give full tracking number, just change 2 numbers in the middle? What makes you think you should get it within 1 week instead of 2 months regardless when its arrived to Canada?
Also, mail shipped from Asia doesn't necessarily come directly to Canada. More than half is headed for Turkey and all over Europe before been forwarded to Canada, or even Europe -> USA -> Canada.
Hi,

no this package is shipping from Europe. What I find troubling is the lack of "arrival scan" ... I thought that I would see the package "touch the ground" at some point and then just wait while its clearing customs. I am wondering if this means its not in Canada yet, or if after 10 days it means it never will get there....

Also, the double entry trick stopped working on that package on Canada Post's website... anyone else had that issue ?
Deal Addict
May 10, 2005
1216 posts
48 upvotes
HoneyBee843 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 1:42 pm
Hi,

no this package is shipping from Europe. What I find troubling is the lack of "arrival scan" ... I thought that I would see the package "touch the ground" at some point and then just wait while its clearing customs. I am wondering if this means its not in Canada yet, or if after 10 days it means it never will get there....

Also, the double entry trick stopped working on that package on Canada Post's website... anyone else had that issue ?
My order shown arrival destination now just wait for custom clearing

In Transit Netherlands PostNL International Mail Canada Canada Post

Latest Event -- 2017-08-22 20:37 The item has arrived in the country of destination Destination Country - Tracking Consuming: 92 ms

Origin Country - Tracking Consuming: 17994 ms 2017-08-22 20:37

The item has arrived in the country of destination 2017-08-11 06:30

The item is on transport to the country of destination 2017-08-10 15:14

The item is at the PostNL sorting center 2017-08-10 15:14

The item is processed at the PostNL sorting center 2017-08-04 07:57
May 10, 2017
167 posts
24 upvotes
sambul92 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 11:08 am
OK, just wanted to give the last update on RG...CN registered mail tracking with no item pickup trace from Ali sellers.
Surprisingly, I received the package today (the one that has no any indication of parcel movement inside China with RS***CN tracking). Although the package came with the different "untracked" 11-digit number (Small Packet BY AIR) instead of China Post Registered Air Mail.

Apparently, well, at least it looks like, the seller didn't know himself that number or was lazy to find out the "true" number even-though I mentioned about this possibility in my e-mail conversations with the seller. Still it took one week of useless robotic conversation with the seller. It could be that shipment was done by another "party", so the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

I still have another order with similar dead RS***CN tracking. Let's see how that one goes.
HoneyBee843 wrote:
What I find troubling is the lack of "arrival scan" ... I thought that I would see the package "touch the ground" at some point and then just wait while its clearing customs. I am wondering if this means its not in Canada yet, or if after 10 days it means it never will get there....
Basically, it means that Canada Post doesn't bother to show the "arrival scan" until the moment they start to work on this container/trailer. My guess would be, if parcel comes via AIR then most likely your parcel would be in Canada in 24-72 hours. It might linger somewhere in CP or CBSA premises without any indication of its existence (at least for us - customers). It can take weeks if not months until parcel starts moving.
Last edited by nixrfd on Sep 11th, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
279 upvotes
HoneyBee843 wrote:
What I find troubling is the lack of "arrival scan"
That is not guaranteed within 1-2 weeks of shipment, and such scans are done by airlines. It depends what route the carrier in the originating country chosen for that type of mail at the time of shipment, given expected average processing time in destination country (urgent or not). Lets say, you ordered an item from Poland with what they call "registered priority air mail". The term "registered" means CP may be asked to reimburse in case of loss. "Priority" may mean its airmail delivered. But routes may differ, and CP informs foreign postal services of "ongoing regular mail delays". That means, for Poland Post there is no urgency to ship it with costlier airline by a direct route, they can ship it instead around the Globe through 2-3 other countries, if its cheaper. Not every airline will upload their scans to world tracking DBs, and some do it with delay. Read this useful for every mail consumer blog:

How does the international mail system work?
Last edited by arnycus on Sep 11th, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 20, 2016
98 posts
35 upvotes
Vancouver
seaker wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 11:59 pm
There is tracking for the package on Bulgaria's website, but it ends once it leaves the country, of course.
If its left the country, barring any major address screw up, the seller has done their part IMO.
The last ebay item I got from Thailand took over 2 months, although it was dried plants, so could have gone through additional screening.
Jun 27, 2017
62 posts
3 upvotes
HoneyBee843 wrote:
Hi,

10 days is like nothing! I've been waiting for one for 3 months already. I've already considered it as lost.
May 10, 2017
167 posts
24 upvotes
It seems not all e-Packets are equal, sorry, do come fast. Today received the parcel with LM535979***CN number. 37 days since order was placed.

The longest waiting time so far using e-Packet. "Sent by Air" on August 13, 2017 and scanned by CP on September 06, 2017. It took 24 days for CP to scan the package? Or Canada Post is trying to convince us that this is a flight time from China to Canada?

Does it really make any sense to pay for e-Packets? It came on the same day as "untracked" 11-digit package and coincidentally ordered at the same date.

ORDER$:$21.76
TRACK.#:LM535979***CN
ORDERED:05AUG2017
SHIPPED(BY-SELLER):08AUG2017
SENT(BY-AIRLINE):13AUG2017
ARRIVED(CP-SCAN):06SEP2017
RECEIVED:11SEP2017

TIME-SINCE-ARRIVED-TO-CANADA: 24 DAYS
TIME-SINCE-SHIPPED: 34 DAYS (11SEP2017)
TIME-SINCE-ORDERED: 37 DAYS (11SEP2017)

Overall - it took one week processing in China and 4 weeks in Canada.

LM-CN.jpg
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
279 upvotes
nixrfd wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 4:10 pm
Does it really make any sense to pay for e-Packets?
That's what we spoke earlier about: the overall pipe size. The more buyers choose ePacket hopping for faster clearance and delivery in Canada, the slower it will be delivered on average here. Because Canada Post considers all this compensated near "free shipping", and use minimum staff overall in their facilities, so all this mail flow is only processed when there is no other workload, or purposely delayed at lack of full 24/7 workload. This could only occur, since Canada Post Act enforcement is non-existent when it comes to CP management practices. So they feel free to delay mail as they wish, and lately started mixing and varying processing times for various mail origins and categories to make it harder to document a pattern of delay, after complains were filed for discrimination against Asia originated mail. The less staffing levels are maintained given certain profit from operations, the higher are executive bonuses. This will not change until current CP leadership is changed - not in promises to leave "sometime later", but factually now. The previous lady CEO was doing a great job for CP and Canada mail consumers.