Mail Processing at Canada Customs SLOW?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 4:52 pm
May 10, 2017
167 posts
24 upvotes
arnycus wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 6:31 pm
That's what we spoke earlier about: the overall pipe size.
So it's gonna be a "bottle neck" game between Small Packet (Registered or Untracked), ePacket and soon UBI packages.
Dec 20, 2016
37 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver BC
I must have hit the jackpot. 3 items ordered on AliExpress, all standard shipping, all arrived in under 10 days. They weren't tiny packages, though.
-Dreki, occasional YouTube tech reviewer and professional opinion-haver
Apr 13, 2010
341 posts
121 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
nixrfd wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 11:17 pm
So it's gonna be a "bottle neck" game between Small Packet (Registered or Untracked), ePacket and soon UBI packages.
Funny you mention UBI packages. I was just checking my tracking this morning and I was surprised to see a UBI package due to be delivered today. It only took a little over a week! (ordered Sep. 2) That's faster than ePacket has been.

I can never tell if a seller offers UBI though. This one was on AliExpress and the shipping option was "AliExpress Standard Shipping". Does that always mean UBI?
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
279 upvotes
UBI shipping seems to be offered exclusively by larger players, such as 4PX, Alibaba Logistics, Ebay fulfillment centers in Asia of "US Global Shipping" type, etc. This is caused by the shipper obligation to ensure no illegal content in shipments for expedited clearance, i.e. "the trusted shipper" status. Large players like 4PX do fulfillment similar to Amazon, i.e. they take an item stored by a seller on their shelves, put it in a packet and ship by the most suitable method of their choosing, so they know content at all times, and theoretically even try putting an actual item value in the label's CN22 form. In practice only largest couriers like FedEx are eager to fight for "true value" with sellers and mail consolidators, as it increases their brokerage service profit. But smaller couriers don't charge much for brokerage, so a very modest fee like $0.5 is integrated into their shipping rates.

I haven't seen so far individual sellers able to choose UBI as a shipping method, for example through using mail consolidators who has low rate volume contracts with carriers, unless the seller stores their stuff in a logistics company's fulfillment center. The fact UBI is not only cleared, but also delivered faster in some countries is very interesting though... It might indicate genuine interest of foreign postal administrations in satisfying outspoken needs of their largest eCommerce clients like Amazon, Ebay, Aliexpress etc through direct local preferably regional fulfillment. Like a logistics company can replenish sellers stuff stored in regional fulfillment centers from a local center in China also by UBI airlifts. Everything is interconnected in logistics, FedEx does a lot of deliveries for CP Express services in some coutries, and CP does last mile delivery for some couriers in Canada.
Nov 27, 2016
15 posts
2 upvotes
Yep I'm experiencing a slow down with e-packet now to, 10 days for my package to travel from China To BC.
Sep 11, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
So this is the only thread on the internet that I could find regarding shipping times and customs being slow ass. So I thought I'd get in here, I've ordered 4 packages recently from Japan. 3 were EMS and 1 was regular untrackable airmail. The first EMS package got here in 4 days (I'm in Alberta) and cleared BC customs within 1 minute and was showing in transit within an hour. My second package without tracking got here in 6 days. My other 2 packages, shipped on the 5th and 7th. The one that shipped the 5th has been sitting in customs for 6 days with no further updates. The other package shipped on the 7th and some how took over 48 hours to cross the ocean, said it was processed and cleared customs within a minute and then the next day tracking status reverted back to leaving Japan, the next day it reverted back to cleared customs. 17track says its in sorting, CP still says it cleared customs. Been sitting like that for 2 days. First package should have been here thursday or friday, second package should have been here yesterday or today latest. What's the point of paying up the ass for EMS? Is a week+ sitting in customs normal for a japan ems package? I haven't ordered anything from Japan in years. I remembering getting packages delivered that still said they were sitting in BC, but they have since moved their facility.
May 10, 2017
167 posts
24 upvotes
cybersaga wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 8:39 am
Funny you mention UBI packages. I was just checking my tracking this morning and I was surprised to see a UBI package due to be delivered today. It only took a little over a week! (ordered Sep. 2) That's faster than ePacket has been.

I can never tell if a seller offers UBI though. This one was on AliExpress and the shipping option was "AliExpress Standard Shipping". Does that always mean UBI?
Ye, UBI is different kind of breed. It's expedited (AE system always asks to confirm delivery even though I don't remember if I ever signed for any package) and usually very fast. I hope it will never be delayed in the future. Rather they will gradually increase shipping fee for using this method but right now it's relatively inexpensive and fast.

UBI method is offered by some AE sellers but it's very far from being Standard Shipping for AE.
Usually but not always standard shipping for AE is Singapore Post and China Post but it varies from seller to seller.
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
279 upvotes
I think we are mixing definitions here. AFAIK the term "Aliexpress Standard Shipping" is used exclusively for packages shipped from Alibaba Fulfillment Centers by Alibaba Logistics. They own large share in Singapore Post, and used it primarily as "Standard (warehouse) Shipping" option. But lately due to mail delays and large claims count from countries like Canada, they tend to use more fully traceable to door methods like UBI to ship costlier packages, if UBI has a franchise or branch in the destination country. As to AliExpress sellers preferred method of shipment, one can say China Post is a "standard shipping" for sellers shipping from own home or office, while larger stores and drop-shipper warehouses usually ship via mail consolidators using more exotic high volume options like European or private Chinese carriers.
Nov 25, 2004
835 posts
252 upvotes
London
is it just me or did canada post now fully block out tracking registered packages. like before if u used the tracking trick on canada post were if u put in the tracking number 2 times. u couldnt see the scans but u could see the time stamps. i just tired this with a package i got in on firday and i tired tracking about 2 weeks ago and the trick worked. but now when u do the trick it claims n/a under the time stamp. going to the Russian tracking site shows 0 scans on the package within canada. even checking really old packages on canada post that i know worked with the trick before now no longer work at all on canada post.

guessing canada post figured out we were able to track stuff using the trick and the Russian site and closed whatever the loop hole was.
Nov 25, 2004
835 posts
252 upvotes
London
cybersaga wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 8:58 pm
No, Canada Post won't show you tracking for international registered packages.

The Russian site will (still).
check a package delivered within the last 4 days i bet u wont see any tracking on the russian site showing the package as delevered..
Apr 13, 2010
341 posts
121 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
I don't have one right now that's been delivered, but I have one that's on its way. The Russian site shows a couple entries under the Canada Post section saying it's left China.

We'll see what happens when it gets here: RF912716185CN
Nov 25, 2004
835 posts
252 upvotes
London
cybersaga wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 9:13 pm
I don't have one right now that's been delivered, but I have one that's on its way. The Russian site shows a couple entries under the Canada Post section saying it's left China.

We'll see what happens when it gets here: RF912716185CN
yes the russian site will still show scans that took place before what ever this change was. but i had 1 package that came yesterday and one today and nothing on either of them showing up. so either canada post totally blew off scanning these packages. or they closed the tracking loop hole.

and like i said the canada post site if u used the tracking trick on there witch was to enter the same tracking number 2 times. u could see the time stamp of the last scan that happened it wouldnt say what the scan was just what time and date the scan happened. now when u try the trick it acts like u entered a number that is no where in the system the time stamp area just says n/a.
Sep 8, 2017
12 posts
aaron158 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 9:22 pm
yes the russian site will still show scans that took place before what ever this change was. but i had 1 package that came yesterday and one today and nothing on either of them showing up. so either canada post totally blew off scanning these packages. or they closed the tracking loop hole.
That doesn't make much sense, isn't the point of registered mail that the sender can have a proof of delivery ? Are they still making you sign for it ? I expect they would....
Nov 25, 2004
835 posts
252 upvotes
London
HoneyBee843 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 9:27 pm
That doesn't make much sense, isn't the point of registered mail that the sender can have a proof of delivery ? Are they still making you sign for it ? I expect they would....
yes i still had to sign for both packages. but i see nothing for either of the packages. here is the tracking number for a package that came yesterday RR073515165PL shipped from Poland over a month ago by registered mail. last scan showed leaving poland a month ago then nothing package showed up yesterday but 0 scans within canada.

and one from the week before RA708284903RU came from Russia and had several scans after getting to canada.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)