Mail Processing at Canada Customs SLOW?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 11:24 am
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14115 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
I finally got my last eBay order! This was a 99 cent item ordered and shipped Sept. 21 from China with tracking. Arrived in Canada on Sept. 26. Arrived at my house today, Oct. 26.

So, 5 days to Canada, and then 30 days stuck within Canada.

BTW, it was thin enough it probably could have just been sent as a regular letter and nobody would have been the wiser, had the seller not declared it.
Dec 20, 2016
37 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver BC
I bought some memory cards from China and from the USA.

Both ordered on Oct 17.

USA arrived Oct 24.
China arrived Oct 25.

That must be some sort of record. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
-Dreki, occasional YouTube tech reviewer and professional opinion-haver
Oct 17, 2017
79 posts
13 upvotes
It shows CPC now seems to set shorter mail withholding times, when sorting plants workload is low, usually btw holidays. What were your shipping methods and carriers? Items like cards can be really shipped in a regular mail envelope instead of packet, its much cheaper and most packets have no insurance or public tracing anyway, meaning the loss cost is not recoverable.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10339 posts
656 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I'm still waiting for some plastic dust caps for computer ports. Ordered August 09. What's the hold up? Grrr. :D
Also waiting for a pair of shoes I ordered September 03.
Nov 27, 2016
51 posts
7 upvotes
At long last my Sept 14 AIR small packet order from Japan arrived today, along with one sent Sept 29 by SAL. I feel AIR SP is no longer useful for speedier service.

Still waiting on 4 more Japan packages sent Sept 23 (AIR SP), and Oct 05, 08, 19 (SAL)
Jul 6, 2017
13 posts
3 upvotes
Anyone have recent experience with packages coming in by PostNL registered? Recently ordered something that was shipped via a Chinese courier, but it turns out that they just fly it to Europe and hand it off to PostNL. It landed in Canada on the 24th and I'm just wondering how long I'll need to wait.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3027 posts
173 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Got a small parcel yesterday that was mailed from CT US on the 24th of October.

That's actually faster than a package I received from Montreal the week before which took a full week - Thursday to Thursday
So for me at least, there is no customs delay.

BTW - the package from the US was a personal parcel with value of $US40.-
So no duty or tax - maybe that makes it faster through customs
Nov 25, 2004
835 posts
252 upvotes
London
krs wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 11:19 pm
Got a small parcel yesterday that was mailed from CT US on the 24th of October.

That's actually faster than a package I received from Montreal the week before which took a full week - Thursday to Thursday
So for me at least, there is no customs delay.

BTW - the package from the US was a personal parcel with value of $US40.-
So no duty or tax - maybe that makes it faster through customs
most packaged from the us dont get delayed. even a first class package gets treated as express post in canada. its mainly packages from overseas that are sent without track or by registered mail mail are getting delayed.
Oct 17, 2017
79 posts
13 upvotes
DareTo wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 9:20 pm
Anyone have recent experience with packages coming in by PostNL registered?
Its usually processed faster overall than CN Post registered. But it more depends on the season now, so in low sales season all foreign mail is delivered faster, since local mail volume drops, while purposeful mail delays seems to get shorter now in slow season. I'm amazed reading some posts where folks get a couple of packages faster than average and then claim everything is so great and speedy at CPC, then 2 months later the same people complain here everything is so slow, and CPC is so bad. They are not used to see the large picture or long time trends, and link them to certain events and seemingly unrelated policy and market matters.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14077 posts
2478 upvotes
Toronto
Still waiting for orders from:

June 16
June 30
July 2
July 3
August 6
August 7
September 12
May 10, 2017
167 posts
24 upvotes
DareTo wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 9:20 pm
Anyone have recent experience with packages coming in by PostNL registered? Recently ordered something that was shipped via a Chinese courier, but it turns out that they just fly it to Europe and hand it off to PostNL. It landed in Canada on the 24th and I'm just wondering how long I'll need to wait.
I had one package from China (AliExpress) shipped via PostNL relatively recently. It was ordered on 16AUG2017, arrived to Canada on 05SEP2017 and received on 12SEP2017.

Usually it takes less than 1 week to process, still can be longer sometimes but in most cases faster than registered packages with CN tracking number or via Singapore/Malaysian Posts.

Canada Post, Eh ... Slow as hell.
zamar81 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 8:28 am
I'm amazed reading some posts where folks get a couple of packages faster than average and then claim everything is so great and speedy at CPC, then 2 months later the same people complain here everything is so slow, and CPC is so bad. They are not used to see the large picture or long time trends, and link them to certain events and seemingly unrelated policy and market matters.
Well, most people tend to operate in "wishful thinking" mode and rely on wrong assumptions that CPC operations can be easily fixed by government, media or tax-payers' ombudsman. Little they know ...
Nov 12, 2011
326 posts
67 upvotes
Ontario
Well, looks like the canadapost app jigg is no longer working. Got my package today via penguin pick up notification but trackitonline and CP app did not notify it being delivered. Package was shipped out of Tokyo on October 14th using RSAL and delivered October 30th to Toronto
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1414 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
It looks like my eBay purchase, mailed from Japan in the middle of September, has finally arrived. Of course, now I have to wait an extra day and to pick it up from the CP outlet at a local mall because I was at work.
May 10, 2017
167 posts
24 upvotes
willy156 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 2:43 pm
... but trackitonline and CP app did not notify it being delivered. ...
Yep, finally CPC puts balaclava on its ugly face.
Nov 25, 2004
835 posts
252 upvotes
London
willy156 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 2:43 pm
Well, looks like the canadapost app jigg is no longer working. Got my package today via penguin pick up notification but trackitonline and CP app did not notify it being delivered. Package was shipped out of Tokyo on October 14th using RSAL and delivered October 30th to Toronto
because canada post blocked all tracking for inbound packages in sept. only way to get tracking now is if u waste a ton of extra money and pay for ems. or e-packet if its from china.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)