Shopping Discussion

Mail Processing at Canada Customs SLOW?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2023 2:57 pm
Banned
Mar 1, 2018
62 posts
8 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Say what you want now ... but it doesn’t match up with your initial post

FACT : Canada Post does not have ELDERLY & DISABLED peeps working for them. Period.

So it’s YOU who have no idea what you are talking about in this thread, with your second hand info

(A) # 4 - Parcels coming in from East Asia. FYI, the problem is not Canada Post ... but rather Canada Customs. The delay isn’t Canada Post it’s the extensive backlog at Customs ... EXACTLY WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT (read the title)

(B) I do know what I am talking about ... because although I don’t work for Canada Post... I do know many who do. And my input to this thread comes from working at Customs.

The issue is due to an unprecedented growth in Online Shopping & Importing. Parcels Biz is growing at an UNPREDICTABLE RATE. Both Canada Post & Canada Customs are having issues keeping up. Their funding model is based on the last year’s numbers (ie 2018) and guesstimated growth for the next year (this year 2019) ... but then the actual growth far exceeds anyone’s expectations. And so things get bogged down.

Canada Post is handling that backlog better than Customs because they are not a Govt of Canada Dept ... they are also MAKING MONEY.

So when the Parcel Biz increases, revenues increase too... money they can then turn back into the biz. Only time they are truly overwhelmed tends to be year end... and of course a lot of that is due to Black Friday / Cyber Monday & Christmas... when actual far exceed guesstimates.

You add in the 2018 Strike Action... and as I said in my original post... it’s a giant backlog, that ya took MONTHS to clear.

CBSA on the other hand is not considered a revenue generating department since their break from Revenue Canada... they now are part of Customs & Immigration. So their funding is annual... and not easily adjusted on the fly. And therein lies the problem, and the crux of this whole topic ... MAIL PROCESSING AT CANADA CUSTOMS
Funny how you're giving the impression that my original post is different from my additional post after that and yet you can't say how? And I don't see why I can't link "Canada Post" to "Canada Customs" when they're both connected to one another when you're being hypocritical for claiming that "Canada Post is handling that backlog better than Customs because they are not a Govt of Canada Dept ... they are also MAKING MONEY.". Not to mention that you're just repeating the same thing that I've already answered to your so-called "FACT : Canada Post does not have ELDERLY & DISABLED peeps working for them. Period.". Now are you going to get into your "Liberal" politics too? Or are you going to stop here? *SMH*
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
swtaznqt wrote: Funny how you're giving the impression that my original post is different from my additional post after that and yet you can't say how? And that I don't see why I can't link "Canada Post" to "Canada Customs" when they're both connected to one another when you're being hypocritical for claiming that "Canada Post is handling that backlog better than Customs because they are not a Govt of Canada Dept ... they are also MAKING MONEY.". Not to mention that you're just repeating the same thing that I've already answered to your so-called "FACT : Canada Post does not have ELDERLY & DISABLED peeps working for them. Period.". Now are you going to get into your "Liberal" politics too? Or are you going to stop here? *SMH*
Just stop.

You have NO CLUE what you are talking about.

First post... the one I took issue with:
"BTW"...if you guys really want to know why the shipping from "Canada Post" is so slow with clearing their backlog and took up to 3 months to deliver during the last 1/2 of 2018 before the strike...is due to fact that I heard from a "Canada Post" employee with how the elderly disabled are still keeping their jobs and are refusing to retire for enjoy the high-pay that comes along with it!!! >=( No wonder this is why there's not enough jobs for us to go around!!! >=(
Second Post...
1) I didn't say "most" and "ELDERLY & DISABLED"
2) It's a specific group of some individuals and not 2 separate groups
Most as in I said... most Canada Post Employees retire between 50 and 60 years old
Canada Post has excellent Employee Benefits.
Anyone unfit to work goes on Disability.
So no one is ELDERLY DISABLED working there... as you continue to argue
(Like I said originally you need to look up the definition of Elderly)

I’ve already explained to you that Canada Post & CBSA / Canada Customs are two different entities. And the Whys & Hows as it relates to International Mail & Packages... which is the entire topic of this thread.

Want to just b!tch about Canada Post and local delivery ... then start a new thread.

And for the record, I never brought up politics. I brought up the workings of Government. It’s not the same thing
That was covered in HS Civics / Social Sciences Class. So you should know that already
Assuming you have finished HS
Banned
Mar 1, 2018
62 posts
8 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Just stop.

You have NO CLUE what you are talking about.

First post... the one I took issue with:

Second Post...

Most as in I said... most Canada Post Employees retire between 50 and 60 years old
Canada Post has excellent Employee Benefits.
Anyone unfit to work goes on Disability.
So no one is ELDERLY DISABLED working there... as you continue to argue
(Like I said originally you need to look up the definition of Elderly)

I’ve already explained to you that Canada Post & CBSA / Canada Customs are two different entities. And the Whys & Hows as it relates to International Mail & Packages... which is the entire topic of this thread.

Want to just b!tch about Canada Post and local delivery ... then start a new thread.

And for the record, I never brought up politics. I brought up the workings of Government. It’s not the same thing
That was covered in HS Civics / Social Sciences Class. So you should know that already
Assuming you have finished HS
Oh I'm so done with "HS" long ago alright, but rather I see that, there's definitely something wrong with you, since you can't even explain exactly what you'd call "wrong" with my posts, even with quotes, so of course you want me to quit roasting you for not knowing how to prove your points properly, which is exactly what any "Liberal" would do. With that being said, you don't even work for "Canada Post", so you can't even claim that "...no one is ELDERLY DISABLED working there..." when an ACTUAL "Canada Post" employee had already mentioned that there's at least some and it'd be illegal for "Canada Post" to be discriminatory if they hadn't hired anyone who's disabled to work for them, if "Anyone unfit to work goes on Disability.", when they actually allow anyone below the retirement age (and of legal age+) to apply for any of their jobs, including the disabled. So there's no point in replying to someone who's a "Lib-tard".
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3503 upvotes
Vancouver
1226 wrote: Still waiting on:

3 July packages
1 Sep package
3 Oct packages
2 Nov packages

Then I stopped ordering. All from ebay.
Should I give up on these? Have they been destroyed/sent back? Just don't want to re-order and end up with 3 of everything (already re-ordered a couple things).
Apr 15, 2018
1 posts
Your item departed a transfer airport in PEARSON INTERNATIONAL, TORONTO, CANADA on March 16, 2019 at 3:06 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination

Is this normal? There has been no status update since and on the Canada post tracking it says: Mar. 12
9:11 pm
International item has left originating country and is en route to Canada
Uslaxa, USA

It’s been almost three weeks since it’s arrived at Pearson and there hasn’t even been a customs update D:
Aug 1, 2018
10 posts
4 upvotes
I ordered a package from Russia that is being delivered by Russia post. Ordered in the beginning of March and the last update I've received was from Russia Post:

>Processing in Canada
>15 March 2019, 18:00 CAYTOA, Canada

No updates since then. Tracking # doesn't work with Canada Post. As far as I can tel, CAYTOA is Canada Post's Mississauga sorting facility.

What's going on? Is my package stuck in customs? Was my package supposed to be scanned into the Canada Post database? Is there anyone I can call or contact for more information about my package? It's a vintage soviet camera lens and as far as I can tell it shouldn't have any issues with import.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1132 posts
824 upvotes
Toronto
I have a shipment coming from China by SAL. it will be handled by Canada Post and below is my tracking,
Mar 30 left China
Apr 1 arrived in Richmond BC Canada and sent for further processing
Apr 3 released by Customs and now being process by Canada Post
no further update in the past 2 days.
Mar 20, 2016
642 posts
673 upvotes
Vancouver
BiegeToyota wrote: We need to privatize this.

Where I live the post is so cheap, yet not subsidized by anyone. The reason for this is because there are so many private firms that will deliver your parcels within country, so the post has to stay competitive. Of course, when it comes to shipping things overseas it's another story, but still the service is pretty great.

One thing that really annoys me is how pathetically cheap Canada Post is. If you want to use their tape to seal the package they will make a stink about it, even if you buy their extremely overpriced supplies. Here, when I buy a large shipping box for 50 cents I also receive a complete packaging service where they seal the box with a plastic tape with the machine. That's another thing, the post office where I live sells their supplies (which are better quality than CP by far) cheaper than in other stores. They also have 5-6 people working non stop at the office and will ship almost anything without whinging and whining like Canada Post employees.

https://i.imgur.com/gGNPl57.jpg
Sure, shipped a Thai post package for ~$2.50 (55 baht), that would cost over $18 here (shoe box ish sized) within country.
But its not realistic to compare their postal system to our own, thai median income is something like $4,500 CAD per year. The amount of access to cheap labor they have is huge, and work safety/health plans are not exactly ubiquitous.

You say "canada post" is cheap but a lot of locations are not run by canada post employees, its more similar to a franchise works. I believe they make some small commissions off each package sent, etc.
Dec 14, 2011
126 posts
20 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Ordered a imported blu-ray movie from a well known Japanese website on April 1st.
I was very surprised that my item passed through customs. Wondering why others haven't gotten their stuff.

Apr. 5 7:08 pm Item was released by Customs and is now with Canada Post for processing
Mississauga, ON
7:07 pm Item has arrived in Canada and was sent for further processing.
Mississauga, ON
12:20 pm International item has left originating country and is en route to Canada
Jptyoh, Japan
12:19 pm International item processed in originating country
Jptyoa, Japan
Apr. 4 4:11 pm International item mailed in originating country
2728799, Japan
Dec 14, 2011
126 posts
20 upvotes
Halifax, NS
I spoke too soon. My item is stuck in Mississauga. Sigh.

Apr. 6 12:34 pm Item processed Mississauga, ON

Edit: Finally f'ing arrived today. Slow!
Last edited by lazycow9 on Apr 10th, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 18, 2016
42 posts
12 upvotes
KevinA59487 wrote: Your item departed a transfer airport in PEARSON INTERNATIONAL, TORONTO, CANADA on March 16, 2019 at 3:06 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination

Is this normal? There has been no status update since and on the Canada post tracking it says: Mar. 12
9:11 pm
Uslaxa, USA

It’s been almost three weeks since it’s arrived at Pearson and there hasn’t even been a customs update D:
Haven't seen that when something is coming from the US.

I got this:

Your item departed a transfer airport in METROPOLITAN AREA, VANCOUVER, CANADA on April 4, 2019 at 9:13 am

Apr. 8 1:27 am
Item has arrived in Canada and was sent for further processing.
Mississauga, ON
Apr. 2 10:21 pm
Uslaxa, USA
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1132 posts
824 upvotes
Toronto
Inclemental wrote: I have a shipment coming from China by SAL. it will be handled by Canada Post and below is my tracking,
Mar 30 left China
Apr 1 arrived in Richmond BC Canada and sent for further processing
Apr 3 released by Customs and now being process by Canada Post
no further update in the past 2 days.
Got an update on Apr 7 that it is still being processed by Canada Post. Looks like the backlog is with Canada Post instead of customs.
Jul 22, 2017
257 posts
181 upvotes
Pingu in the city
I just received two of my packages from eBay $3 order. The shipment tracking showed that both packages took 6 days after landed in Richmond BC then it's with Canada post shipping, so roughly took two weeks to arrive.
Noot Noot!❗😄
Great coffee, better mind!
Aeropress | Hario V60 | French press | Vietnamese coffee filter | Kalita narrow-mouthed pot | %
Jun 26, 2017
60 posts
4 upvotes
I ordered cds from ebay and I haven't got an update since the 2nd of April telling me they were in customs for processing. This is the longest I've had to wait for an item to get out of customs.
Images
  • Screenshot_20190410-032752_Firefox.jpg
Oct 3, 2011
604 posts
387 upvotes
OTTAWA
an update to my situation. And I'm about to rant and vent.

My post was from the 7th already 2 weeks late, the package was released the following sunday march 10th. Canada post then brought it to ottawa and it was out for delivery on the 12th. I was not at home and the package got stuck in limbo again. The last scan were that delivery was attempted then it was en route to local post office for pickup. It was then never scanned at the local post office so it stayed in 'on the way to post office'.

I had to open a CP service ticket even after checking with the post office TWICE to see if someone forgot to scan it. Finally within 12 hours of opening the ticket someone called me friday morning on the 15th I believe it was to tell me that it was sitting at the post office since the afternoon of the delivery attempt. The tracking number STILL shows en route to post office.

Prior to customs releasing it on the 10th I also called customs to see if I could get some sort of explanation out of them. I got nothing but bullshit. The woman even told me never to ship express even though my package was worth nearly 1000$ and standard parcel rates would never cover the insurance required. Uh, the company I ordered from deals in high end collectibles and ships worldwide by express mail, that's how they ship things. The condescending verbal diarrhea that came out of this woman's face hole was appalling. She asked me if I had a tracking number for the package and asked me if I knew how to put it into the canada post's website.

I half expected it was torn open for inspection and shit was lost or stolen from the length of the delay. All I wanted was some sort of information if it was lost, someone forgot it on a shelf, hell if she told me package volume was irregularly high for the middle of march, I probably would have believed her and shrugged it off. No, she had to attempt to mansplain to me how a **** tracking number works, even after I told her I had used it and was calling because I was hoping for additional info. She could've even said there was no further information to be had and that the situation sucked.

Also the missed scan after delivery was added insult to injury. It happens, but it certainly didn't make me any happier.

CP tells me to call CP service desk. service desks asks for tracking number and tells me exactly what the tracking service says. Then they tell me to call customs. Customs does the same **** thing and then blames mail service for ripping me off on service guarantees. Nothing but a bunch of fingers pointing at each other. Typical of garbage service desks with bureaucratic garbage policies and procedures to buy them time for your shit to finally show up. Nobody took any responsibility for a 5 day business guaranteed international package that was worth a shit ton of money. All said and done my thing wasn't even opened, so who knows what the hell was done or not done that caused the delay.

I had 2 more EMS packages from japan ship last week and arrive monday this week. Both packages arrived and cleared customs within 10 minutes. That's how it normally works.

Mail service is not the problem. customs is.
Oct 3, 2006
199 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Hoping someone can provide some insight into these confusing tracking updates (via UBI After Ship):

IN TRANSIT
Apr 13, 2019
11:10 am
UPLIFTED FROM TRANSSHIPMENT HUBUBI Smart Parcel
HONG KONG

Apr 13, 2019
09:06 am
ARRIVED AT DESTINATION AIRPORTUBI Smart Parcel
YVR

Apr 12, 2019
03:00 pm
EXPORT CUSTOMS CLEAREDUBI Smart Parcel

Apr 12, 2019
05:51 am
ELECTRONIC INFORMATION SUBMITTED BY SHIPPERUBI Smart Parcel
RICHMOND

Apr 12, 2019
05:01 am
ITEM DESPATCHED TO TRANSSHIPMENT HUBUBI Smart Parcel
SHENZHEN

Apr 12, 2019
03:43 am
ON VEHICLE TO TRANSSHIPMENT HUBUBI Smart Parcel
SHENZHEN

Apr 11, 2019
03:55 pm
WEIGHED AT WAREHOUSEUBI Smart Parcel
SHENZHEN

Apr 11, 2019
03:32 pm
PROCESSED AT ORIGIN HUBUBI Smart Parcel
SHENZHEN

Apr 11, 2019
03:31 pm
RECEIVED SHIPMENTUBI Smart Parcel
SHENZHEN

Apr 10, 2019
05:41 pm
SHIPPING INFORMATION RECEIVEDUBI Smart Parcel

Having trouble understanding how the parcel can go from arriving to Vancouver, to being “uplifted from transshipment hub” in Hong Kong... CP most recent update (April 12) simply states “Electronic information submitted by shipper.”

Anyone able to help me understand this any better. FWIW ordered an item from amazon w delivery address in a mississauga ON.
Apr 10, 2011
649 posts
345 upvotes
Did anybody received a package from China with the shipping company SF Express.

My package is stuck at their Toronto distribution center, according to the tracking number, since April 4th.

Any advice?

I tried to call but no answer.
Apr 15, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote
Your UBI Smart parcel can appear to be scanned in Hong Kong Apr 13 and still arrive earlier same day in Vancouver due to parcel cross international date line. When scanned in Hong Kong on Apr 13th it was only April 12 in Vancouver.
May 12, 2011
162 posts
31 upvotes
Calgary
ocularpatdown wrote: I ordered a package from Russia that is being delivered by Russia post. Ordered in the beginning of March and the last update I've received was from Russia Post:

>Processing in Canada
>15 March 2019, 18:00 CAYTOA, Canada

No updates since then. Tracking # doesn't work with Canada Post. As far as I can tel, CAYTOA is Canada Post's Mississauga sorting facility.

What's going on? Is my package stuck in customs? Was my package supposed to be scanned into the Canada Post database? Is there anyone I can call or contact for more information about my package? It's a vintage soviet camera lens and as far as I can tell it shouldn't have any issues with import.
Exact same issue here, Russian package was shipped on February 27th and it still says it's at customs at CAYTOA since March 14th. I called the Mississauga office and left a message, they called me back and said there's a huge backlog of Russian and Polish packages from a few months and that it was presented to them recently. They said they're trying their best, and once it's been released, Canada Post will handle it. My patience is growing thin, it's going to be nearly two months soon but there's nothing I can do but wait.
Aug 1, 2018
10 posts
4 upvotes
Hyperfluxe wrote: Exact same issue here, Russian package was shipped on February 27th and it still says it's at customs at CAYTOA since March 14th. I called the Mississauga office and left a message, they called me back and said there's a huge backlog of Russian and Polish packages from a few months and that it was presented to them recently. They said they're trying their best, and once it's been released, Canada Post will handle it. My patience is growing thin, it's going to be nearly two months soon but there's nothing I can do but wait.
I just got the package a couple of hours ago. It took a month from arriving in Mississauga to get to my door in Toronto. Tracking information never updated for me either. Didn't even get dinged for duty or taxes and package wasn't opened. It must've just been sitting on a shelf for a month.

But if my package is any indication, you'll probably get yours very soon. Maybe an extra week since it has to travel across Canada. Good luck man!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)