Shopping Discussion

Mail Processing at Canada Customs SLOW?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2023 2:57 pm
Apr 13, 2010
655 posts
417 upvotes
Napanee, ON
parcelTracker wrote: If a parcel shipped from Japan has a tracking number that starts w/ CN, ends w/ JP, does it mean it will take longer at Customs? Sitting there about 2-3 weeks now I believe.

My other parcel (several items inside) from the same seller got delivered quicker and didn't get charged duties. Tracking number starts w/ LX.
Welcome to the randomness of Canada Post.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2014
1487 posts
700 upvotes
Toronto
What has been the average time customs releases packages from Mississauga?
Apr 13, 2010
655 posts
417 upvotes
Napanee, ON
Boomer23 wrote: What has been the average time customs releases packages from Mississauga?
Stuff going through Mississauga seems to go quicker than Vancouver, but it's still fairly random.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2014
1487 posts
700 upvotes
Toronto
cybersaga wrote: Stuff going through Mississauga seems to go quicker than Vancouver, but it's still fairly random.
Thanks for the reply. From reading through the thread, could range from days to never lolll
Mar 8, 2013
597 posts
2357 upvotes
Toronto
Today (June 10) I received an eBay item ordered on May 2nd that was shipped from China via Yanwen. Looks like it was shipped on May 7th and handed off to Post11. Yanwen's tracking gave bogus updates, while Post11's tracking appears to be real. It indicates the packet went from China, to Estonia, and arrived in Canada on May 24th.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2018
1172 posts
759 upvotes
I haven't got my parcel (10kg) that sent to me from China on the 30th Apr, it arrived in Canada on 16th of May and the status on Canada Post website was "Item has arrived in Canada and was sent for further processing. Richmond, BC" for almost a month now.

I found there is a notice on CBSA website which says "Notice: Mail processing delays", so I guess it will be a long way to wait.
Oct 30, 2011
1 posts
CALGARY
Where does it say that on the website. I had a package arrive into canada May 19 and its with customs and im still waiting.....so frustrating when you cant call anyone to find out
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2018
1172 posts
759 upvotes
rhjamal24 wrote: Where does it say that on the website. I had a package arrive into canada May 19 and its with customs and im still waiting.....so frustrating when you cant call anyone to find out
I can feel your pain bro, here is the link that says they have delay https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/post ... u-eng.html
I wish they could provide more info on their website.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3438 posts
744 upvotes
Winnipeg
I have a package sitting in CBSA (Mississauga, ON) since Jan 4... is there anyone I can call or email about this?
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2018
1172 posts
759 upvotes
khulit wrote: I have a package sitting in CBSA (Mississauga, ON) since Jan 4... is there anyone I can call or email about this?
I wish I knew the answer to this, but after I hard search on google, i only found this https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/fee ... n-eng.html
I really doubt how effective that will be, but at least it's way to tell them something didn't go well.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2018
1172 posts
759 upvotes
oh boy, after almost a month (16th May to 14th Jun) of waiting, this morning I finally found my item is processed and now with "Item was released by Customs and is now with Canada Post for processing"
so, it's about another 10 day or so from west to east, lol.
Oct 11, 2004
816 posts
200 upvotes
Montreal, Qc
startupecom wrote: Also, it's been said that the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is working with Canada Post to address delays and it is developing an electronic information network to speed up risk assessment and clear low-risk parcels faster. I haven't heard any recent updates but hopefully it will be developed soon.
That article dates from 2017. No news I guess...
BlehBlehBleh wrote: [..] I've noticed several of the orders have tracking numbers starting with "SYBA", I've also noticed none of the orders that start with this tracking number have arrived.. [..]
I also have one such item. I need to ask for refund. [changed CC, how do I ask for the refund on Ali?]
This year, orders on eBay never arrived.
From Aliexpress, 80% of untracked orders never arrived. Of those with tracking number, ePacket that starts with RU* and not trackable on CanadaPost, never arrived.

Are Canada Post and CBSA intentionally discarding small un-tracked shipments?
Items shouldn't randomly disappear from the post. They should eventually make it to the destination, right? I've had orders that haven't arrived in years.

I've also seen merchants on eBay that don't deliver to Canada anymore. :(
Apr 13, 2010
655 posts
417 upvotes
Napanee, ON
temporary user wrote: ePacket that starts with RU* and not trackable on CanadaPost, never arrived.
Tracking numbers that start with R are registered mail, not ePacket. From my understanding, registered mail is scanned by Canada Post, but they've chosen to stop showing tracking information for them.

ePacket tracking numbers start with L (usually LL**CN) and are trackable all the way.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Jun 17, 2017
45 posts
1 upvote
parcelTracker wrote: If a parcel shipped from Japan has a tracking number that starts w/ CN, ends w/ JP, does it mean it will take longer at Customs? Sitting there about 2-3 weeks now I believe.

My other parcel (several items inside) from the same seller got delivered quicker and didn't get charged duties. Tracking number starts w/ LX.

Stuck parcel is bigger (also many items inside) so maybe that too is a factor. Last tracking entry is "Item has arrived in Canada and was sent for further processing".
My parcel's now released by Customs and will be on its way to me tomorrow. Yey!
Aug 8, 2004
615 posts
386 upvotes
Ottawa
My most recent parcel (EMS from Malaysia) took 12 days to be released from customs in Richmond

Not great, not terrible
Jun 17, 2017
45 posts
1 upvote
Thank you to the one who posted about the delay notice on the CBSA site. It helped manage expectations/gave a bit of reassurance. I was still worried about it being lost though just cuz of the cost and rarity of the contents in it.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2018
1172 posts
759 upvotes
I had two packages arrived Richmond at the same day, and the small one took another 4 days to arrive and the big one took 6 days to depart from Richmond.
Maybe another week of waiting or more :-(
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
1364 posts
752 upvotes
Ontario
Got two packages being shipped from Japan using rsal. Got tracking numbers and entered into old version of Canada post app and I still get push notifications. Got them saying it left the country and is on its way to Canada.
Jun 21, 2019
1 posts
I have a package from Japan that has been stuck in Customs since June 1st. Anyone else experiencing the same thing? It was a pricey purchase and I’m just worried that it got lost...
Jun 17, 2017
45 posts
1 upvote

Stuck parcel is bigger (also many items inside) so maybe that too is a factor. Last tracking entry is "Item has arrived in Canada and was sent for further processing".
parcelTracker wrote: My parcel's now released by Customs and will be on its way to me tomorrow. Yey!
Sorry. That was a false alarm. Called Canada Post today and agent says my package is still with Customs even though the app status says Custom has released the package June 18. So it's going more than a month now that it's held by Customs (since May 23).

The agent suggested to have the shipper open a trace if it's still stuck there two weeks later, so we can know what else may be holding it up at Customs. This is nuts.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)