Shopping Discussion

Mail Processing at Canada Customs SLOW?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2018 12:21 pm
Dec 5, 2005
793 posts
106 upvotes
Sent a package via CP with tracking to UK on April 27. According to CP tracking data, it left Quebec on May 1 for "International Destination". By the CP "Delivery Standard", it was supposed to arrive 2 days ago.

I tried the tracking number at Royal Mail UK but it doesn't find it. Any tips?
Jan 7, 2018
50 posts
14 upvotes
willy156 wrote:
May 11th, 2018 12:19 pm
So I got lucked out with ePacket?
Well, 10-20 packages shipped with SpeedPAK since it was added as an option, and over 100 packages that were retroactively classified as having shipped with SpeedPAK, and zero have been ePackets.

EDIT: Actually, a $12 SpeedPAK item bought the other day turned out to be a LZ ePacket.
Oct 12, 2017
39 posts
15 upvotes
willy156 wrote:
May 11th, 2018 2:34 pm
are all ePackets EMS?
They almost have the speed of EMS, but they are different to EMS. It's an alternative to SAL small packet especially for countries that don't receive SAL anymore. Unlike EMS I believe ePackets are limited to 2kg or 90cm size just like SAL small packet, and if you're using the cheaper ePacket Lite, it doesn't have insurance and signature (regular ePacket have this, at least for Japan Post). I shop mostly from Japan and uses SAL small packet most of the time and usually takes around 3 weeks to arrive after leaving Japan. For ePackets, it just take less than a week after leaving Japan (I'm located in Alberta by the way).
Nov 12, 2011
453 posts
98 upvotes
Ontario
Picked up my package, and yup it says ePacket on the shipping box.
Apr 18, 2018
17 posts
3 upvotes
RobertL130 wrote:
May 11th, 2018 11:22 am
USPS First Class Int' can be from 1 week to 4 months (usually, it is 2~3 weeks). It depends all on the customs clearance.
Absolutely right in my experience. It USED to be 2 weeks all the time. no longer true.
Letters always clear within days, any "bubble envelope" or package NOT insured goes in THE VOID.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5534 posts
1244 upvotes
BC
sheriffharry wrote:
May 11th, 2018 6:32 pm
Absolutely right in my experience. It USED to be 2 weeks all the time. no longer true.
Letters always clear within days, any "bubble envelope" or package NOT insured goes in THE VOID.
Can't agree with that. It never "used to be 2 weeks all the time" for USPS 1st Class. Always been highly variable as RobertL130 said, but with a median of around 2 or 3 weeks.

Have one today that cleared customs in Mississauga in less than 6 hours. UPDATE: Received package today, that's Wednesday (N.Y.) - Monday (Vanc. Is.) so really quick for 1st. Class Intl. w/o official tracking.
I tend to think that a fully completed and easy to read declaration sticker from a clearly identified registered business can speed things along in Customs, but that's only part of it.

The new Canada Post (interim) CEO, Jessica McDonald, is possibly shaking things up since mid-March. The customs bar code no. is usable again for tracking by us on both sides of the border.
Thus undoing what Deepak Chopra had likely initiated. Only makes sense to restore its functionality and avoid time-wasting calls from Canadians wondering where their packages are.

Don't think being insured or not has anything to do with time in customs or transit once in CP's hands.
Sure, some things get held up, or even seemingly lost, for a variety of reasons. It's not a simple business moving parcels through a bonded warehouse. Be thankful for when it works well.
Last edited by macnut on May 11th, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 17, 2017
196 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
jebivetar wrote:
May 11th, 2018 12:14 pm
SpeedPAK is an umbrella for a bunch of different shipping methods.
Not at all. SpeedPAK is a shipping method introduced by Ebay, when an item is stored and shipped by sellers from a chain of Ebay owned warehouses in China. It's a joint venture with a China private carrier, and uses it own private label. However, SpeedPAK is not yet available to Canada, and Ebay in fact has no immediate plans to fix that, probably due to resistance of CPC and CBSA asking for higher cut in exchange of faster processing.

What happen, Ebay introduced a new shipping option to make sellers and buyers used to it and in fact start using this shipping method. But most sellers so far ship by the same methods they did before like Yanwen, Winit, ePacket, etc, while selecting the SpeedPAK option to attract (defrauded) buyers, since other frequent shipping methods aren't listed on Ebay, so you either select SpeedPAK, or Economy & Standard Shipping whatever it means.

When shipping to US from China, more sellers will start shipping with SpeedPAK overtime, but Canadian buyers will be defrauded all the way since Ebay now simply doesn't ship from Asia to Canada, only from US via Global Shipping, so all shipping to Canada is done by 3rd party carriers from their own warehouses or directly from sellers & manufacturers. I reported this misleading practice to Ebay management, but suspect they won't be willing to fix it since SpeedPAK name attracts more buyers, whether fake or real.
Jan 7, 2018
50 posts
14 upvotes
zamar81 wrote:
May 11th, 2018 9:23 pm
Not at all.
???
zamar81 wrote:
May 11th, 2018 9:23 pm
SpeedPAK is a shipping method introduced by Ebay, when an item is stored and shipped by sellers from a chain of Ebay owned warehouses in China. It's a joint venture with a China private carrier, and uses it own private label. However, SpeedPAK is not yet available to Canada, and Ebay in fact has no immediate plans to fix that, probably due to resistance of CPC and CBSA asking for higher cut in exchange of faster processing.

What happen, Ebay introduced a new shipping option to make sellers and buyers used to it and in fact start using this shipping method. But most sellers so far ship by the same methods they did before like Yanwen, Winit, ePacket, etc, while selecting the SpeedPAK option to attract (defrauded) buyers, since other frequent shipping methods aren't listed on Ebay, so you either select SpeedPAK, or Economy & Standard Shipping whatever it means.

When shipping to US from China, more sellers will start shipping with SpeedPAK overtime, but Canadian buyers will be defrauded all the way since Ebay now simply doesn't ship from Asia to Canada, only from US via Global Shipping, so all shipping to Canada is done by 3rd party carriers from their own warehouses or directly from sellers & manufacturers. I reported this misleading practice to Ebay management, but suspect they won't be willing to fix it since SpeedPAK name attracts more buyers, whether fake or real.
So, it's an umbrella for a bunch of different shipping methods.
Oct 17, 2017
196 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
jebivetar wrote:
May 11th, 2018 10:27 pm
So, it's an umbrella for a bunch of different shipping methods.
The term "umbrella" is often used to cover a broad category of things (like shipping services) similar in nature. Ebay never intended to use term SpeedPAK as any "umbrella" for various shipping services not related to Ebay. On the contrary, SpeedPAK is the name of Ebay own recently introduced shipping service from its own warehouses on very specific delivery and weight limit terms and with distinct prices (slightly lower than ePacket), just like ePacket by EMS or Expedited Parcel by CPC etc. However, at present many Ebay sellers started using this Ebay shipping option fraudulently to attract more buyers, while in fact they ship by other shipping methods they used before. By the same token sellers can put name DHL (if it were among Ebay shipping options), while in fact shipping by other methods like China Post or Winit, and some folks would slowly start calling DHL "an umbrella", until DHL courier sues Ebay for allowing their brand name misuse to defraud buyers on delivery speed and traceability.

In fact, most sellers play idiots when it comes to package traceability. I always ask to provide "proof of shipment such as a free LOCAL tracking number within China borders". The same sellers always provide it on Aliexpress, but on Ebay they all reply with a BS text like "detail tracking is for items above $30", even if you repeat 10 times that you don't need detail international tracking, but only a proof of shipment. Its a game, the sellers copy each other like monkeys. Only leaving a negative feedback allowed me to obtain proof of shipment for most items on Ebay instead of BS replies, then I had to remove the feedback, but at least have an idea whether, when, and how exactly they shipped the items. Ebay allows sellers to conceal the actual shipping method, and they do it gladly. Other large sites force sellers to select and disclose actual shipping method by providing mandatory proof of shipment. Yet its often fake too, they post a fake RG number, while in fact shipping by regular packet. :)

Ebay should remove SpeedPAK shipping option for countries were its not available, but in fact they facilitate this fraud to better compete with Amazon and Aliexpress. You can call it "an umbrella" or whatever you want Smiling Face With Open Mouth, though its just a seller selecting one shipping method, but shipping by another, and they all have different names, routes, and carriers. In short, its FRAUD, not an umbrella, since SpeedPAK is ONE very specific shipping method, not a variety of shipping methods and carriers, and its sadly NOT offered to Canada, at least for now. I suggest every buyer to report this fraud to media to stop this massive and growing deliberate shipping fraud enabled by Ebay website. Interesting, I contacted every seller who failed to ship by SpeedPAK my orders asking them why they defraud buyers? None answered the question, they all know SpeedPAK is NOT an "umbrella", but deliberately cheat buyers encouraged by Ebay.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1011 posts
163 upvotes
Edmonton
Took more than a month for an airmail envelope with a photo card from South Korea to arrive... Ridiculous.
Nov 12, 2011
453 posts
98 upvotes
Ontario
I hope we are able to track packages from japan again (RMxxxxxJP tracking numbers)
Oct 17, 2017
196 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
macnut wrote:
May 11th, 2018 8:41 pm
The new Canada Post (interim) CEO, Jessica McDonald, is possibly shaking things up since mid-March.
Would be nice to suggest the new CEO to support Ebay Asia SpeedPAK service to Canada as one of real improvement steps in CPC ops, since that service offers low cost, full traceability, and fast customs clearance & delivery. Would be a huge improvement for small packets delivery from Asia region, from current typical wait times at 2-3 months to 1-2 weeks delivery. CPC can even ask Ebay for some profit sharing, since once the service is operational, it will surpass all other low cost delivery methods from Asia, hence greatly increasing Ebay sales and shipping profit, part of which can be shared with CPC compare to almost nothing shared now by smaller low cost Asia shipping operators or China Post. It may be a win-win deal for CPC, Ebay, and Canadian consumers.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15656 posts
3053 upvotes
Toronto
What tracking numbers from which companies can now be tracked with Canada Post?

I read here that Canada Post has resumed tracking for some countries' mail services, but I can't track my Royal Mail package with Canada Post's tracking page. I only can track on Royal Mail's site, but it says it's already been handed over, and all tracking ends with the package leaving London Heathrow on its way to Toronto.
Jun 27, 2017
77 posts
6 upvotes
chaingunsofdoom wrote:
May 11th, 2018 1:13 pm
Sent a package via CP with tracking to UK on April 27. According to CP tracking data, it left Quebec on May 1 for "International Destination". By the CP "Delivery Standard", it was supposed to arrive 2 days ago.

I tried the tracking number at Royal Mail UK but it doesn't find it. Any tips?
Depends on what kind of shipping method you used. If it was supposedly to be fast (like EMS or whatever they are supposed to be), give it another week or 2. If it still doesn't update, then I am sorry to tell you this, it's most likely that it's lost. Because I had one exactly like that, and it was lost.

If you used a cheap shipping method and CP doesn't not support it, wait for it. Could take up to months or eventually, "lost".