Shopping Discussion

Mail Processing at Canada Customs SLOW?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2018 10:35 am
Jun 27, 2017
75 posts
6 upvotes
Still no update. Gonna try calling Custom either tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. Heard after some people called and their package got handed to CP soon afterward.

Well, it doesn't hurt to try :D
Dec 5, 2005
768 posts
88 upvotes
Update: My Tracked Packet that I sent to the UK is finally online again... 13 days to get from Quebec to Heathrow... Did they walk it over?

Does anyone know if CP would honor their missed estimated date or is that only for Xpresspost?
Oct 14, 2009
505 posts
138 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
Just got a package from Mexico.

No tracking information was provided. Delivered April 6, and received May 15. So basically five and a half weeks.

I have another package delivered a few days earlier from Europe, also without tracking, that hasn't arrived yet.
Apr 18, 2018
17 posts
3 upvotes
ugly wrote:
May 15th, 2018 7:10 pm
Just got a package from Mexico.

No tracking information was provided. Delivered April 6, and received May 15. So basically five and a half weeks.

I have another package delivered a few days earlier from Europe, also without tracking, that hasn't arrived yet.
Strangely enough this gives me hope my packages shipped from USA 50 days ago can STILL show up....
Sad Times we live in.
Oct 17, 2017
120 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
chaingunsofdoom wrote:
May 14th, 2018 11:25 pm
13 days to get from Quebec to Heathrow... Did they walk it over?
Its really fast, given low cost shipping method, which means waiting for a container to get filled up here before airlifting it to London UK.
Apr 18, 2018
17 posts
3 upvotes
Called Canada Post today to get some real insider estimate on customs delay for package delivery.

Here's what I got: "Canada Customs usually don't hold a package for more than 3 months."
(This is on the East Coast, shipment from Asia obviously been worse than that in recent years).

So from now on 90 days will be my boundary between "delayed" and "lost".
Last edited by sheriffharry on May 16th, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 27, 2017
75 posts
6 upvotes
Called CBSA. Nothing really helpful except that they told me it could take up to 15 "working", not "Calendar" day.
So if I don't receive it by the end of May, they told me to call back.

15 working days eh? WTH...I didn't pay for EMS to have you guys hold up my package for 15 days. What if it's an emergency package? (in my case, it's not)
Geez
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1014 posts
326 upvotes
London
Liselsia wrote:
May 16th, 2018 4:29 pm
Called CBSA. Nothing really helpful except that they told me it could take up to 15 "working", not "Calendar" day.
So if I don't receive it by the end of May, they told me to call back.

15 working days eh? WTH...I didn't pay for EMS to have you guys hold up my package for 15 days. What if it's an emergency package? (in my case, it's not)
Geez
if its an emergency ud have to pay for ups or fedex express then the package is pre cleared though customs before it ever gets the boarder. if u need something on time u don't ship it though the post office.
Jun 27, 2017
75 posts
6 upvotes
It finally got processed!!!

But...got dinged by custom Orz...
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1014 posts
326 upvotes
London
chaingunsofdoom wrote:
May 14th, 2018 11:25 pm
Update: My Tracked Packet that I sent to the UK is finally online again... 13 days to get from Quebec to Heathrow... Did they walk it over?

Does anyone know if CP would honor their missed estimated date or is that only for Xpresspost?

for oversea shipments only xpresspost have an on-time grantee and even then they will try to blame it on the customs of the country on the other end as there terms say they wont pay up if customs delays the package.
Last edited by aaron158 on May 18th, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 13, 2010
420 posts
166 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
aaron158 wrote:
May 18th, 2018 12:32 pm
for oversea shipments only xpresspost have an on-time grantee
Xpresspost only exists inside of Canada. Inbound mail (like ePacket) doesn't become Xpresspost until it clears customs and gets processed by Canada Post. That's when Canada Post's clock starts.

If there was any "on-time guarantee", then it's guaranteed by the originating carrier, not Canada Post (although Canada Post may have contractual obligations to the originating carrier - but that's nothing you can hold them to).

I'm not saying Canada Post is not to blame. It's black hole between the time packages land in Canada and when they're processed by Canada Post. It's hard to say from the outside if it's CBSA being slow to process, or Canada Post being slow to get around to processing mail that's already been cleared by CBSA. Or both.
Gabe's Hacks - DIY Videos

Convert Gas Prices (CA$/L - US$/gal)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1014 posts
326 upvotes
London
cybersaga wrote:
May 18th, 2018 2:06 pm
Xpresspost only exists inside of Canada. Inbound mail (like ePacket) doesn't become Xpresspost until it clears customs and gets processed by Canada Post. That's when Canada Post's clock starts.

If there was any "on-time guarantee", then it's guaranteed by the originating carrier, not Canada Post (although Canada Post may have contractual obligations to the originating carrier - but that's nothing you can hold them to).

I'm not saying Canada Post is not to blame. It's black hole between the time packages land in Canada and when they're processed by Canada Post. It's hard to say from the outside if it's CBSA being slow to process, or Canada Post being slow to get around to processing mail that's already been cleared by CBSA. Or both.
the person i was replying to was talking about an outbound package going to the uk.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)