Mail Processing at Canada Customs SLOW?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2023 2:57 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28907 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
shplad wrote: Are packages delayed at customs/CBSA due to the current PSAC strike?
Canada Post isn't on strike. They're not part of PSAC.

CBSA is part of PSAC. None of the news reports I've seen have indicated that Customs or CBSA workers are striking and borders remain open to travellers.

However latest news reports cite PSAC as claiming they're going to escalate strikes to "ports." Presumably that could thus include processing of incoming goods.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27752 posts
27757 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
bylo wrote: Canada Post isn't on strike. They're not part of PSAC.

CBSA is part of PSAC. None of the news reports I've seen have indicated that Customs or CBSA workers are striking and borders remain open to travellers.

However latest news reports cite PSAC as claiming they're going to escalate strikes to "ports." Presumably that could thus include processing of incoming goods.
PSAC = The Public Service Alliance of Canada
https://psacunion.ca/about-us

Is the name of the Union
It represents a wide range of public servants at various levels of government (not just federal )
In the same way, any Union one could name
Represents a large group of various companies
(Example CAW = Canadian Auto Workers … LOCAL XYZ goes on strike over at Ford … doesn’t mean that GMC workers are necessarily on strike … or the guy that works @ the Windshield Glass Parts Factory / Manufacturer is either )

So it’s not ALL OF PSAC that’s on strike
Just a few select departments
CRA = Canadian Revenue Agency being the big one

CBSA Officers belong to a different dept / union local
And a good many of CBSA’s staff are deemed ESSENTIAL *

So this current strike won’t have any direct impact as far as border crossings etc

BUT there is some interaction with CRA when it comes to Tax Collection (like at the Borders for Goods crossing into Canada be that Commercial, in Person, via Canada Post, or Couriers etc )

That might have an impact on the processing of some goods or services … esp on commercial traffic including mail, couriers, etc

* Cuz when there’s a strike on … with an ESSENTIAL staff load, it’s not at 100% capacity
So things can take longer

NOTE - Over at Passport Canada … who’s also on strike
They’ve deemed that ONLY EMERGENCY PASSPORT SERVICES … are ESSENTIAL
So there’s a skeleton staff filling those requests
While other Passports … not deemed as URGENT
Will just sit put until the strike is over

BTW … I don’t think this strike will last long
It’s annual tax season (part of the reason the union chose to strike now )
The Federal Govt is gonna want the CRA back at work
And they represent by far, the largest sector of clerks & admins currently out on strike
Many of whom who make far less than their counterparts in other depts
But that said …
History shows these strikes don’t usually last long
Although at times they have become quite disruptive to the Government
And the cities where the picket lines are most prominent

The 1991 Strike lasted 3 weeks
The 2001 Strike barely started … was quickly over once 9/11 happened
The 2004 Strike lasted about 1 week

I remember the 91 Strike … it was the ugliest of the bunch
I don’t think the membership is nearly that upset now as they were then
And most dont really have a stomach for this to last long (different world now = inflation is bad enough )
All pretty clear when you look at the low voter turn out to go on strike to begin with
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28907 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
@PointsHubby , thanks for the explanation. So who/what is affected by a strike on "ports"? Does that mean online maritime ports or all ports of entry?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27752 posts
27757 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
bylo wrote: @PointsHubby , thanks for the explanation. So who/what is affected by a strike on "ports"? Does that mean online maritime ports or all ports of entry?
Here’s 2 CTV Articles with more info that you might find useful in how some of this all ties together …
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/public-service-un ... -1.6368637
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/treasury- ... -1.6368092
May 6, 2023
1 posts
RG013486515CN
Package shipped forever ago. Last update is it is in Toronto on March 30th 2023 no updates since.
Images
  • Screenshot_20230507_113105_Chrome.jpg
Dec 14, 2011
126 posts
20 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Bought an item via amazon.com.
Shipped on the June 9th via pitney bows. Processing was fast through customs, but now there's a wait for a package transfer?

From Amazon.com:

Sunday, June 11

5:47 PM
Package transferred to another carrier for delivery.
Toronto, CA

2:58 PM
Completed customs clearance.
Toronto, CA
Nov 5, 2018
657 posts
769 upvotes
lazycow9 wrote: Bought an item via amazon.com.
Shipped on the June 9th via pitney bows. Processing was fast through customs, but now there's a wait for a package transfer?

From Amazon.com:

Sunday, June 11

5:47 PM
Package transferred to another carrier for delivery.
Toronto, CA

2:58 PM
Completed customs clearance.
Toronto, CA
This really has nothing to do with this thread, as your package is being shipped by a forwarder/courier, and isn't mail. It'll never go through customs like mail would.

PitneyBowes doesn't do delivery, they just import the item and hand it to a courier for the delivery within the country.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
1364 posts
752 upvotes
Ontario

Guess I got lucky, only spent 2 minutes in customs lol
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
willy156 wrote: Image

Guess I got lucky, only spent 2 minutes in customs lol
No, things usually whip through customs like that. It's the wait to get into customs that gets you. (A week is pretty brisk.)
Jun 19, 2023
1 posts
I shipped my package from HK thur EMS. and review by CBSA since 18 Apr 2023. What can I do ??
Images
  • EMS.png
Nov 2, 2023
2 posts
I ordered an item from Hong Kong. Tracking number works on track 17 and a few sites I've read on here to try. It says the canada post got my order and delivered it to my house. But there is no parcel or notice to pick up at local post office. I can't open a claim with canada post due to the tracking number doesn't work on their site its not canada post compatible. Anyone know what I can do or why it would show delivered to my house but not here.

Any help would be nice.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28907 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Clifflondon wrote: I ordered an item from Hong Kong. Tracking number works on track 17 and a few sites I've read on here to try. It says the canada post got my order and delivered it to my house. But there is no parcel or notice to pick up at local post office. I can't open a claim with canada post due to the tracking number doesn't work on their site its not canada post compatible. Anyone know what I can do or why it would show delivered to my house but not here.

Any help would be nice.
I've seen this before where the overseas tracking site says the item was delivered long before it actually got to my door. My conclusion was that the tracking site was really indicating that the package had arrived in Canada and they were no longer able to track it. I wouldn't panic yet. Give it another week or two before declaring it AWOL.
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 13, 2010
655 posts
417 upvotes
Napanee, ON
Clifflondon wrote: I ordered an item from Hong Kong. Tracking number works on track 17 and a few sites I've read on here to try. It says the canada post got my order and delivered it to my house. But there is no parcel or notice to pick up at local post office. I can't open a claim with canada post due to the tracking number doesn't work on their site its not canada post compatible. Anyone know what I can do or why it would show delivered to my house but not here.

Any help would be nice.
Do all of the details of the tracking on the Canada Post website match up to what you expect? Like the destination city, the dates, etc? I've seen some sellers put fake tracking numbers. One seller put in a tracking number that already showed as delivered before I even made the purchase. When I asked them about it, they tell me the item is out of stock and ask if I want to wait or get a refund. I took the refund and bought the same item from a different seller.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Nov 2, 2023
2 posts
Tracking on track 17 and other international ones show the same info and makes sense, goes from shen to honk Kong to airport to canada airport to my city canada post sorting to out for delivery to my house. But I can't check on canada post and they won't help me without the canada post tracking number which s not international number.
Dec 14, 2011
126 posts
20 upvotes
Halifax, NS
My package has yet to enter Canada. It's currently going through circles in New York... wish I knew what's going on down there.
Sigh :(

Arrived Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
SMITHTOWN, NY 11787
December 4, 2023, 9:22 am
Shipping Partner: GLOBEGISTICS INC_JFK_PARCEL MODULE

Departed Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
MELVILLE, NY 11747
December 4, 2023, 4:19 am

SMITHTOWN, NY 11787
December 3, 2023, 1:08 am

MELVILLE, NY 11747
December 2, 2023, 5:48 pm

MERRIFIELD, VA 22081
November 30, 2023, 4:33 pm

WINCHESTER, VA 22602
November 30, 2023, 3:18 pm

WINCHESTER, VA 22603
November 29, 2023, 5:18 pm

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)