Mailman wage/salary..how much?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2013 1:27 am
Tags:
None
Apr 12, 2006
413 posts
92 upvotes
Well keep in mind that during the winter time, mailmen still have to deliver mail so if theres a blizzard out there then that's gotta suck..
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34250 posts
1458 upvotes
Toronto
unleashed wrote:
Sep 14th, 2007 8:44 pm
$25/hr for delivering mail? :-0 . Man that's crazy amount of pay for a easy stress free job.
damnit. Why do people think everything is just a easy stress free job.
Yes some days it looks easy... But you gotta remember that in Canada it is cold 10 months of the year.
and in Most parts of Canada you have terrible snow and dangerous road conditions to drive in.
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Feb 2, 2006
216 posts
17 upvotes
My dad has already been bitten twice by dogs this year > :(

But yeah it is possible to finish your route in 4 hours and get paid a full days pay, that's a plus!
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
2611 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
lol, just like on TV.

My dad is also a CanadaPost mailman. He was bitten by a dog. Also a bloody knee and a pair of broken glasses from dogs chasing him. Some dogs are just very protective of their territory, but unfortunately mailman has to enter it. He has since been given issued a pepper spray and a ultra-sonic gun (you shoot high pitch noise at the dog and they'll run away) to carry in his mailbag.

Lanella wrote:
Sep 14th, 2007 11:20 pm
My dad has already been bitten twice by dogs this year > :(

But yeah it is possible to finish your route in 4 hours and get paid a full days pay, that's a plus!

i'm not kinky at all! just kinky for HOT deals. i swear!

Sale: Jailbroken Apple TV 2 - $100
Sale: LG G4 Promo Kit (oem battery, charge cradle & 32gb microsd) - $60
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28262 posts
802 upvotes
Not hard to see who are the public servants and who are the public slaves.
Hail Eris!
Feb 12, 2007
677 posts
4 upvotes
always been interested in this career....and I'm surprised at the respect it gets. For 25$/h I'd take the paycut to do this job. I'd get more exercise than sitting in an office! :D
Oct 13, 2004
269 posts
9 upvotes
My mailman at the superbox has to use his own vehicle and gets no car allowance. When his car broke down, it was up to him to borrow another car to keep going or he'd lose his job.

All that stop & go is hard on the car. I wonder how much it costs him to use his car for work.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13263 posts
226 upvotes
Midland
Sandie5 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2007 9:45 pm
My mailman at the superbox has to use his own vehicle and gets no car allowance. When his car broke down, it was up to him to borrow another car to keep going or he'd lose his job.

All that stop & go is hard on the car. I wonder how much it costs him to use his car for work.
They don't walk house to house?
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2005
2221 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I don't think its $25/hr... well depending on seniority. My neighbor works as a courier for Canada Post.. he never really tells me how much he makes but its about $22/23 hr I believe. He drives his own car to work. Sometimes he gets home at like around 11am-12pm. But he gets up pretty early and gets to sleep pretty early. I'm pretty sure there stress involved there.

I work for Canada Post as well...but just in the mail sorting facility downtown I'm only a casual and its on-call. The hours are crazy could be anywhere from 4pm-12am..2am-7am.. those are the hours I have worked so far. At first I didn't like it.. but got used to it (also I got premium shift, more $ ;) ). It wasn't like I was working those hours everyday anyways had to tough it out.
Sep 24, 2007
1 posts
Brantford
what's the youngest a mail deliverer can be?
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
201 upvotes
the salary is about $21 an hour for a regular letter carrier that owns his/her own route. If you are a "relief" letter carrier (job title) meaning you don't own a route, you do multiple routes, you make about $22.80 an hour.

Now keep in mind, we also get a "boot & glove allowance" and a "meal allowance", as well paid for lunches, so yes in the end it can work out to 25-26$ an hour. Throw in the flyers we get paid for (one route i was clearing $250 every 2 weeks on flyers) and it's a great job to have.

Now this doesn't happen for everyone.. First you've got to get hired as a temp employee. a year or 2 later you go to part time status, and then a year after that you get fulltime.

I was hired february 06 as a temp letter carrier, and i got my part time status april 07.. The crappy part is i went from my nice outdoor route, to working midnights in the plant on really wierd days...

It's a great job to have if you can get yourself a letter carrier position, but those don't open up everyday.

As for the mailmen/women who finish early, it's their choice.. I used to be done my routes in 5 hours, get paid for 8, but i'd skip lunch, skip breaks and work my ass off to get out.. some guys like to take their time, enjoy the day, etc.

as for wearing shorts all year round (i do that unless it's like -30 outside) it's less to do with slowing you down, and more to do with ball chaffing.. LOL
Aug 13, 2006
830 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
OH I have the hottest mail woman that delivers my mail. She's in her mid 20s, same as me but damn she's smoking.

If I didn't have a girlfriend, I'd make a corny attempt to get her for sure.

Anyways, my friend who's been a mail carrier man has been on the job for over 5 years and hates it. He finds it repetitive and boring and he wants out. He says he wants to be a cop like me but I personally think he doesn't have what it takes so just to let you know, just cause it's a decent paying government job doesn't mean it's good.
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
201 upvotes
willpoon wrote:
Sep 27th, 2007 10:51 am
OH I have the hottest mail woman that delivers my mail. She's in her mid 20s, same as me but damn she's smoking.

Anyways, my friend who's been a mail carrier man has been on the job for over 5 years and hates it. He finds it repetitive and boring and he wants out. He says he wants to be a cop like me but I personally think he doesn't have what it takes so just to let you know, just cause it's a decent paying government job doesn't mean it's good.
personally i love the job when i was outdoors... if he doesn't like it he can always choose a new route...and i'm sure being a postie, he can be home by 12pm... tell him to go to school &do something else if he doesn't like it.. i've got no problem taking his fulltime gig!
Apr 19, 2005
645 posts
32 upvotes
willpoon wrote:
Sep 27th, 2007 10:51 am

If his route is in the GTA and there is any way he can tell his boss to take me as his replacement, please let me know immediately. I'm completely serious.
× < >