• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2009 4:02 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 15, 2003
459 posts
Mississauga

Main water shut off valve leaking

I went to turn off the main shut off valve in the basement to do some work on a faucet. It wouldn't close completely, and leaked a little. Once I loosened it a bit, a small stream came out, but after fiddling with it, it stopped.

I looked at the Mississauga website and they have emergency numbers for water issues, but, if my valve busts, then my basement becomes flooded... What's the best way to fix this? Is the water shutoff valve the city uses accessible by homeowners?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4037 posts
598 upvotes
Kitchener
what side of the water meter is it on and how many valves do you have? City side will require city crews to turn off the valve at the street and you get a plumber to put in a new one. Sometimes if you turn the valve in once from the full open position the stem seals will stop leaking
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1162 posts
73 upvotes
Red Deer
You need to to call your city water works department they will come down and shut of your curbstop (or cc) that is usually in your front yard.
Also call the plumber to replace the valve. make sure you have them install the valve before the water meter, somtimes watermeters start leaking too.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2796 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Shiifty wrote:
Jan 11th, 2009 2:10 pm
I went to turn off the main shut off valve in the basement to do some work on a faucet. It wouldn't close completely, and leaked a little. Once I loosened it a bit, a small stream came out, but after fiddling with it, it stopped.

I looked at the Mississauga website and they have emergency numbers for water issues, but, if my valve busts, then my basement becomes flooded... What's the best way to fix this? Is the water shutoff valve the city uses accessible by homeowners?
The City of Mississauga does not supply your water, Peel Region does www.peelregion.ca and they will have to shut off the water valve located on your driveway for you to repair this leaking valve. You can confirm this by checking your water/sewage bill.

That valve is down about 6-8 ft deep, and requires a specific tool to open and close the water service.

Edit, here it the contact page:
http://www.peelregion.ca/pw/water/contacts/
Aug 2, 2008
179 posts
1 upvote
claringtonca
is it leaking at your shut off when on or off
if on you can tighten the packing nut
if off you can do the same
if that fails you can call a plumber and
he can shut
the water off at the street
and do the repair
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5653 posts
147 upvotes
New Westminster
When you do replace that in house shutoff valve ... use (or INSIST that the plumber installs a ball valve).
Aug 2, 2008
179 posts
1 upvote
claringtonca
i don't think he has a water box key the cap is at ground level but goes down about three ft the key couples with the pin try a builder around you he may lend you his as long as you bring it back
[OP]
Nov 15, 2003
459 posts
Mississauga
Great, thanks for all the replies! I think I'll wait until it's warmer out to get the main valve replaced. I'll definitely get a ball valve, thanks for the suggestion.

The exterior water shut off is a cap on my driveway, looks fairly easy to get the top off -- but I guess reaching the valve a few feet under is another story. I'll probably ask the city to do it, hopefully they don't charge for it.
Dec 27, 2007
644 posts
91 upvotes
Oshawa
Taken right from the Peel website:

Customer Request - Water Turn-Off or Turn-On Fees
Description Monday - Friday
7 a.m. - 11 p.m.
$70.00

Weekends/Holidays After hours
Water turn-off/disconnection or turn-on/connection
$100.00