Maintenance Q for recent Volvo owners - Service reminders

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2018 9:25 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes

Maintenance Q for recent Volvo owners - Service reminders

Hi, wife has a new 2018 XC60 which we just got this year and is our first Volvo so don’t know what to expect and hope to get some insight.

I know my model has a maintenance scheduler that the dealer may have set in the car to prompt for reminder to book next apt, etc... Just wondering if anyone has experienced that and know how frequently and annoying those may be and if those could be easily turned off or delayed by the owner ??

Reason is we are expecting our 1st maintenance service (oil change) to be around Jan/Feb 2019. However since the dealer is really far from us, we wanted to schedule the service at the same time as the seasonal tire swap which is usually at Oct and April for us. It seems silly to do it sooner since the wife only drives ~10km a day if that and so we wanted to wait until April for that service. However, she gets scared and annoyed easily so I don’t want to hear too much complain either If I’m asking her to wait now.

Any input from fellow Volvo owners are greatly appreciated and sorry if it seems like a silly question since we can’t find anything regarding online but thank you in advance.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
12 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
You should have a manual with intervals listed. If you are nowhere near the mileage limit just wait.

Alternatively do the tires locally and just go in for the maintenance.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
The Dealer does not set the maintenance minder, the OEM does.
If you get maintenance done then the dealer will reset the minder. This is the same for all cars, not just Volvo's.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
The tire set are stored at the dealer as well so if we could schedule service and swap at the same time then is not too bad.
mr_raider wrote: You should have a manual with intervals listed. If you are nowhere near the mileage limit just wait.

Alternatively do the tires locally and just go in for the maintenance.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
Thanks. The computer is showing both a days and mileage count down and I’m guessing is whichever comes first.

Anyone input from Volvo owners about the minders ??
Pete_Coach wrote: The Dealer does not set the maintenance minder, the OEM does.
If you get maintenance done then the dealer will reset the minder. This is the same for all cars, not just Volvo's.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
hdom wrote: Thanks. The computer is showing both a days and mileage count down and I’m guessing is whichever comes first.

I have a previous gen s60. The minder is only set by km. The manual states a synthetic change can go one year.

Of course my dealer lives 10km away so it's not a big deal.

Do the drive e engines have a proper oil life wear indicator?
May 7, 2016
484 posts
426 upvotes
As you mentioned, the car tracks date (1y) and kms (16k kms) and gives you a warning when you get close to whatever happens first. Even if she doesn't drive much, the oil should be changed at the 1-year mark, because in Canada it easily goes from -40 to +40 Celsius, with high humidity levels that break down the oil faster than in milder climates. With the new super/turbo charged engines I wouldn't cheap out in oil changes, especially if you want to keep the warranty.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
Thanks, we will get it done just not right the way, don't think they are going to void our warranty if we are 2 mos late and no milage to show for.
carztoronto wrote: As you mentioned, the car tracks date (1y) and kms (16k kms) and gives you a warning when you get close to whatever happens first. Even if she doesn't drive much, the oil should be changed at the 1-year mark, because in Canada it easily goes from -40 to +40 Celsius, with high humidity levels that break down the oil faster than in milder climates. With the new super/turbo charged engines I wouldn't cheap out in oil changes, especially if you want to keep the warranty.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5749 posts
6121 upvotes
Ottawa
As this is your first oil change, I would suggest that you check to see when the vehicle was manufactured and not when you bought it. The oil in the vehicle is original from the factory and as you are not driving much, your concern should be the age of the oil.

With my Honda Pilot, we were also no where near the oil change interval noted on the vehicle. But, we were coming up to the 1 year from the date of manufacture and the owner's manual was clear not to go beyond a year without changing the oil. I changed the oil early when we had the winter tires installed. I didn't mind changing it early as an oil change in not an expensive charge.
May 7, 2016
484 posts
426 upvotes
skeet50 wrote: As this is your first oil change, I would suggest that you check to see when the vehicle was manufactured and not when you bought it. The oil in the vehicle is original from the factory and as you are not driving much, your concern should be the age of the oil
That's a really good point, but the new XC60 are selling very well, so I don't think it will apply to OP.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1868 posts
174 upvotes
Southern ontario
hdom wrote: Thanks. The computer is showing both a days and mileage count down and I’m guessing is whichever comes first.

the new ones are both date and milage. the previous models are only milage. on my 17 xc90, i just do oil changes except for the 32k one (where the brakes are checked, especially important if you have the vision package, since the lane departure control uses the rear brakes (so you will use your rear brakes a lot faster than the front ones).
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1868 posts
174 upvotes
Southern ontario
carztoronto wrote: That's a really good point, but the new XC60 are selling very well, so I don't think it will apply to OP.
new volvos only use synthetic, so it will be less of a concern regarding breakdowns. if you drive between 10-15k per year, i would just change it every year. synthetic oil have more "give" than conventional oil.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
hdom wrote: Thanks, we will get it done just not right the way, don't think they are going to void our warranty if we are 2 mos late and no milage to show for.
Yeah chill dude. 2 months is not a big deal.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)