• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2017 8:57 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 21, 2017
5 posts

MAJOR HELP

So here is my situation, I'm 28 years old and have negative thoughts to the point where the past few years of my life have been wasted doing nothing be mundane work and nothing achieved. I graduated from high school with 97%, with the goal of doing medical school. When went UofT, ended with something like a cGPA of 3.45. Decided to do a fifth year but at around this time I started to get major doubt, anxiety and negative thoughts. This had begun in small instances before but never to this extent, when I would see a doctor about this they would simply try to give me drugs and said you can overcome this and it was simple to get over. I took that year off. Afterwards I did a Masters in epi and biostats, to boost my CV for med, but instead I fell for weed and alcohol, and finished my thesis in 3.5 years instead of 2 years. After when I graduated, I was super low and fell into this mobile game and wasted 16k in one month, major debt. I worked my ass of as a security guard to pay it off. This takes me to about roughly right now.
I have no idea what to do and the doctors simple just give me anti-anxiety pills, which just numb me however don't really fix anything. I tried mediation and excerse which work the best, but every time I get better, something happens to me, like the latest thing that happened when things were going my way was an awful accident. This further brings me into negative thoughts and doubt. Now why I don't work in my field that I did my masters is because I never paid attention and I don't like the field.

I can go on and on, but basically, I don't know what to do. I am thinking dropping it all and going for real estate because I'm very social and I would like to get to passive income or try med school, mcat, apply and all. I don't know what is best for me. Any advice would be great. Thank you for reading.
15 replies
May 8, 2015
49 posts
21 upvotes
All over the place
Without knowing much else, it sounds like you are under a lot of pressure to try for medicine (or any field even) because of outside influence (ie. parents). Which, if that's the case, it's typical. Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of students and former friends who have burned out because of the enormous amount of stress/pressure brought onto the by their parents. But, in your case, maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, I don't want to give a you lecture here but you should do your best to find a line of work that would make you happy. We can't all get what we want in life but we can try to find some joy in going to work everyday (work conditions, pay, etc.) to make the rat race easier. ;) Be open to everything. You never know what career/job could change your outlook.

With regards to the online gaming and weed/alcohol, that's down to discipline. Do what you must to keep it under control.

Reach out to fellow classmates and see if they can recommend you for some type of lab gig (research assistant for instance) for money. It's an easy gig for decent pay. Or just apply for one if you don't have anyone that can lend a hand. Real estate work needs some money up front to get started (license course and exam for example). Not sure how long the course is but it's not an overnight endeavour.

As for medical school, you'd have to look into the admission requirements for the schools you'd be interested in and find out if you meet the minimum requirements (GPA, extra-curricular activities, etcetera). I'm sure you knew this but preparation prior to beginning on this journey is paramount. You could also look into pharmacy school. A great career choice with great pay.

Last but not least, surround your self with positive and supportive people. Easier said than done but it can be the difference between success and failure in a lot of cases.

If you are looking for work, there's plenty. You've got a post-secondary education, some work experience and are in your prime years. You're in a good position, I'd say. Believe me, there are a lot people who would like to trade places with you. So, work on your resume and start job-hunting. There are good paying jobs out there.
Dec 30, 1969
42 posts
Mississauga, ON
If you are really determined to go into medical school, get a good MCAT score and apply for Caribbean medical schools. You should be able to get in. Work your ass off , stay away from weed and you should get a residence in usa. It is hard and a lot of debt, but if you are determined, you will find your way. Best of luck!
[OP]
Feb 21, 2017
5 posts
Hey thank for the replies. My friends just got placed in America...from caribbean but they said don't go there because they will close down soon since DO are coming in and it's taking away spots from caribbean students. Any thoughts?
Also, I wanted to go to the Caribbean ...however could not afford it via loan or rather could not get it since I have no cosigner. Any thoughts?
[OP]
Feb 21, 2017
5 posts
For real estate, I have done a lot of research it's 4 months and the first year or two won't make much since I have to build my clientele. There is riskilling involved but it's really competitive like anything.
Sep 4, 2007
747 posts
128 upvotes
Edmonton
There's another real estate thread going. I would check it out. But it's not rocket science to get the license and it doesn't take a lot of time either. I'd say it's a pretty low risk move to try it out. I assume you already finished your master's so you wouldn't be "dropping" anything.
[OP]
Feb 21, 2017
5 posts
Yes I did last year February. Issue is employers are already looking at me like why don't I have a job ...what I mean by drop is I'm not concerned with it and won't care about it becoming useless.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35334 posts
1795 upvotes
Toronto
You are a sexy intelligent beast. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!!!
ITs okay that you've wandered around with random jobs... That's in the past. The anxiety and depression is okay too... Don't drink too much... And only with friends and just a few. The weed is okay... But don't let it get to ya.
MAny young people are facing what you're facing. ITs okay to be average... They call it average for a reason. Most people are... Well... Average.

Is medicine really for you? To be honest... MOst people would have already gotten there if their heart, dedication and mind was really into it.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
25795 posts
1409 upvotes
Winnipeg
UrbanPoet wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 11:36 am
You are a sexy intelligent beast. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!!!
ITs okay that you've wandered around with random jobs... That's in the past. The anxiety and depression is okay too... Don't drink too much... And only with friends and just a few. The weed is okay... But don't let it get to ya.
MAny young people are facing what you're facing. ITs okay to be average... They call it average for a reason. Most people are... Well... Average.

Is medicine really for you? To be honest... MOst people would have already gotten there if their heart, dedication and mind was really into it.
good thing you showed up, i thought about recommending you to the op
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1538 posts
135 upvotes
Canada
Harman89 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 5:46 am
So here is my situation, I'm 28 years old and have negative thoughts to the point where the past few years of my life have been wasted doing nothing be mundane work and nothing achieved. I graduated from high school with 97%, with the goal of doing medical school. When went UofT, ended with something like a cGPA of 3.45. Decided to do a fifth year but at around this time I started to get major doubt, anxiety and negative thoughts. This had begun in small instances before but never to this extent, when I would see a doctor about this they would simply try to give me drugs and said you can overcome this and it was simple to get over. I took that year off. Afterwards I did a Masters in epi and biostats, to boost my CV for med, but instead I fell for weed and alcohol, and finished my thesis in 3.5 years instead of 2 years. After when I graduated, I was super low and fell into this mobile game and wasted 16k in one month, major debt. I worked my ass of as a security guard to pay it off. This takes me to about roughly right now.
I have no idea what to do and the doctors simple just give me anti-anxiety pills, which just numb me however don't really fix anything. I tried mediation and excerse which work the best, but every time I get better, something happens to me, like the latest thing that happened when things were going my way was an awful accident. This further brings me into negative thoughts and doubt. Now why I don't work in my field that I did my masters is because I never paid attention and I don't like the field.

I can go on and on, but basically, I don't know what to do. I am thinking dropping it all and going for real estate because I'm very social and I would like to get to passive income or try med school, mcat, apply and all. I don't know what is best for me. Any advice would be great. Thank you for reading.
I would go back to your doctor and get a stronger prescription, like Prozac.
Apr 13, 2010
84 posts
14 upvotes
The irony of this is that you're studying to go to med school, but the medical physician is prescribing you medication to ease your anxiety of the stress in the process of applying to med school without actually being effective.

I think its a good sign to consider switching gears to go in to trying alternative career paths; I've seen this road to med school applications play out all too familiar. One of my friend has multiple degrees (more than 3) and still has an aspiration for med school after a decade of trying. The other realized it wasn't working out and went to law school after a life changing trip to south Africa after a masters in health science. Finally one did went to med school in Caribbean only to drop out and do a masters in health science and business (didn't even know that existed). I've only had one person I know closely that graduated from med school at UofT, only to work in a very very stressful environment -- beyond any investment banker or tech startup founder that I've even heard.

The med school system in Canada has a specific allocation for admissions, regardless of the overwhelming demand. The requirement to getting in is almost akin to a psychological disposition that withstands a tremendous toll, and continues onwards. Its no failure on anyone to even try and not make it through; I even think its admirable that you even consider it in the first place (I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to become or try to become a doctor). so if this is the self-image that prevents you from changing in to real-estate, give up that thinking.

Just let it go - the commitment to self-image and identity tied to doctor and med school is going to cause challenges. That's truly how I feel. Though others may disagree with me. And challenges with med school don't suddenly stop once you get in.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3327 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
The grind into medical school is only half the journey. Once you get in you will have to do another couple years of school, compete for your specialization/residency spot and proceed into further training depending on your area of specialization. That is another 6-10 years, so consider that first before continuing your path. Also, consider your prospects too once you finish school and determine whether you will be able to work where you want or whether you will have to move, etc.

I started off doing biology in my undergrad, but realized that it was not my thing so I switched into business after a couple of years. It is never too late to consider alternative options as you still have at least 30 years of your career left to decide for. Do something you can see yourself doing for a long time.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3530 posts
424 upvotes
Aurora
Hayley Wickenheiser is just starting med school, she's 38.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Apr 13, 2010
84 posts
14 upvotes
Toukolou wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 7:49 pm
Hayley Wickenheiser is just starting med school, she's 38.
She's also a five time Canadian Olympic medalist. Still a great standard of achievement. Thought I'd put that in for context.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2007
4251 posts
69 upvotes
Winnipeg
You'll come to realize that money isn't everything and working at a job that you enjoy is WAY better than money.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
My Flickr
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel