Sports & Recreation

Which of the major team sports is most strategic/entertaining?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2015 10:48 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Which sport is most strategic/entertaining?

• Total votes: 43. You have voted on this poll.
N Amer football

28%
football (aka soccer)

14%
hockey

21%
basketball

26%
baseball

12%
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal

Which of the major team sports is most strategic/entertaining?

For me, it's gotta be N Amer football. They actually have 'real' positions and clear matchups, not like most of the other sports where players are just 'running around the place', relatively-speaking. It's like a battleground w/ the coaches matching up the various chess pieces. Nothing like it.

Dis/agree? Discuss.
109 replies
Mar 17, 2006
377 posts
40 upvotes
Real Football (Soccer) only real world sport.
American Football to slow stops every few minutes
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2014
1657 posts
2172 upvotes
To me Soccer would be the most boaring sport compare to NA football. If you watched previous week games, you would know how strategic/entertaining it is.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Soccer's quite boring if one has to be honest. Not many sports where players not in the action can just be strolling along the playing field. Kinda like baseball, which I don't really considering a sport because it doesn't have any real sustained physical exertion.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3661 posts
1079 upvotes
Whitby
Really depends on your merits of what you look for in a sport.

Soccer to me is the most strategic and entertaining. I assume you find it boring because there isn't action all the time (hits and what not) but its alot of back and forth. You don't think there is any physical exertion in soccer? I would ask that you try and play a game for 90 minutes and see how tired you really get..."strolling along"
Mar 17, 2006
377 posts
40 upvotes
Soccer is a thinking mans game bit like chess
Mar 17, 2006
377 posts
40 upvotes
Football is a stop-start game with frequent pauses between each play. Soccer is a more fluid sport, an aspect that appeals to many
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
mikeroyal wrote: NFL games only have 11 minutes of action for a 4 1/2 hour game. Talk about boring

http://www.wsj.com/article_email/SB1000 ... DUyWj.html
What about soccer? How many shots are there per game, 10 in 90 minutes? All you see is players kicking it back and forth between two dudes then the opposition kicks it hard back over to the other zone, rinse and repeat.

Edit: http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matc ... vs-man-utd

13 total shots taken, 4 shots on target and 9 off target in 90 minutes.
Mar 17, 2006
377 posts
40 upvotes
Change the name

Even the most narrow-minded NFL fan knows that their sport is misnamed. It has nothing to do with “football”. The name needs to reflect the game so what about “Fumbleball, “Dropball,” “Throwball” or just straight “Advertisingball”.
Mar 17, 2006
377 posts
40 upvotes
If the NFL did not exist then surely it would have been created by an amalgam of beer, car and snack-food companies. Because you see more beer, cars and chips than you do on-field action when you watch NFL on TV. The Wall Street Journal analyzed NFL games a couple of years ago and found that a game that takes nearly 3 hours to watch should only take 11 minutes because that is all the action you get. Or looking at it another way you could take the action from 16 games and combine it all into the time it takes to televise one game.

Alternatively, you could increase the quota of action to a more acceptable 1 hour and have a telecast that lasts between 15 and 18 hours. Riveting stuff.
Mar 17, 2006
377 posts
40 upvotes
It took the NFL 40 years to learn what an average 6 year-old soccer player has always known and that is you get more power and control by kicking with the instep. Nonetheless, if you want the game to look different, it would be better to make sure that a kicker just uses his toe when kicking ridiculously easy field goals. Kicking a ball over a cross bar – piece of cake.
Mar 17, 2006
377 posts
40 upvotes
Columnist George Will once said that “Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings.” You might not be able to get rid of the mock violence but surely, you can get rid of the huddles. The only thing missing is someone distributing an agenda.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
mikeroyal wrote: Columnist George Will once said that “Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings.” You might not be able to get rid of the mock violence but surely, you can get rid of the huddles. The only thing missing is someone distributing an agenda.
You know you can keep your ranting all in one post, right? We understand you like soccer but don't get so butt hurt when someone else has a different opinion about the sport.

4 On target shots in 90 minutes doesn't sound fun to me, that's just me.
Mar 17, 2006
377 posts
40 upvotes
Fault that might be a little difficult for you meat heads to understand!
Mar 17, 2006
377 posts
40 upvotes
Theirs a lot more to football than shots on goal

No Manchester United are crap plastic supporters that usually were a replica shirt and have never been to see them play.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
azn_dan wrote: Really depends on your merits of what you look for in a sport.

Soccer to me is the most strategic and entertaining. I assume you find it boring because there isn't action all the time (hits and what not) but its alot of back and forth. You don't think there is any physical exertion in soccer? I would ask that you try and play a game for 90 minutes and see how tired you really get..."strolling along"
Ya, there are some aspects of 'strolling along' but don't misunderstand me, I meant that baseball is more an activity than a sport and football(aka soccer) is a sport but there are moments of non-exertion.

There seems to be more strategy and 1-on-1 matchups in N Amer football, perhaps because it seems more positional vs other sports.