Health & Wellness

Makeup brushes do you clean them how often also??

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2007 10:28 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes

Makeup brushes do you clean them how often also??

I was asking a few people I know how often they clean their makeup brushes and am curious what people here do!

One lady I know told me she had not cleaned her blush brush in over 5 years :confused:

I also know people who wash them every few months.

For myself I wash the brushes I use a lot every week, and some that I do not use as much every 2 weeks.

But I do clean them off with alcohol wipes in between if I change makeup colours too often.
This user has no signature! :| :| :|
10 replies
Apr 5, 2006
631 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto/GTA
Steeve Urkel wrote:
Apr 16th, 2007 3:21 am
I was asking a few people I know how often they clean their makeup brushes and am curious what people here do!

One lady I know told me she had not cleaned her blush brush in over 5 years :confused:

I also know people who wash them every few months.

For myself I wash the brushes I use a lot every week, and some that I do not use as much every 2 weeks.

But I do clean them off with alcohol wipes in between if I change makeup colours too often.

Depending on use, every few months is fine. I would be careful about the alcohol though as it cann destroy some brushes. Good quality brushes, like goat hair etc. should be cleaned with brush cleaner. The RFD option is a gentle shampoo will also work fine!
-------------------------------------------------------

Heatware
Aug 19, 2005
278 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver
5 years??? nasty.

The longest I'd go is 1 week, but usually I clean it after 2-3 uses. I use Johnson's head to toe baby wash - cheap and gentle. I wouldn't use alcohol cuz it's very drying and can damage your brushes (would you rinse your hair with alcohol? didn't think so!).
Apr 11, 2007
35 posts
Toronto
I don't wear makeup very often, so I wash my brushes every few months. I use mild soap/shampoo and warm water, and then lay flat to dry.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
newsflash wrote:
Apr 17th, 2007 1:40 am
5 years??? nasty.

The longest I'd go is 1 week, but usually I clean it after 2-3 uses. I use Johnson's head to toe baby wash - cheap and gentle. I wouldn't use alcohol cuz it's very drying and can damage your brushes (would you rinse your hair with alcohol? didn't think so!).
Well, I use some alcohol as I have some cream eyeshadows and they really stick to the brushes.
So, if you use just soap and water or shampoo, they are still kinda greassy.
But using some alcohol has not ruined my brushes at all- maybe if you have really crappy ones.
This user has no signature! :| :| :|
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
1266 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
i clean mine about once a month. but foundation & concealer brushes get cleaned almost everytime i use them. any liquid soap/shampoo will do but i have used cleansing oil too.
Feb 20, 2005
652 posts
1 upvote
i clean my powder brushes once a week and liquid foundation brush everytime i use it 'cause the brushes just don't work the same when they have left over make up on it...plus for hygiene purposes...u don't want to have old make up on ur skin

You can use shampoo to clean ur brushes or if you are in a rush, brush cleaners are really good as you don't need to wait for it to dry (just spray and wipe) I use brush cleaner from MAC and they work like a charm :)
Apr 5, 2006
631 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto/GTA
crabby1997 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2007 11:15 pm
I use brush cleaner from MAC and they work like a charm :)

+1
-------------------------------------------------------

Heatware
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
1521 posts
2 upvotes
GTA/London
You're supposed to clean your brushes?

Oops.
Dec 10, 2004
871 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver
That's gross if you don't clean your brushes! It's a bacteria-haven if you use them for your eyes and lips!

I wash my eye ones daily (I'm a germophobe) and the face/blush ones every couple of weeks. I personally wouldn't use alcohol if you have natural hair bristles since it'll dry them out. I've heard good things about the MAC and Bobbi Brown brush cleaners, but I just use Aveda shampoo with mine and they clean them well, and still leave them soft.