• Apr 20th, 2011 4:21 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 18, 2011
6 posts
AJAX

Making chain link fence more private?

Anyone knows an affordable way make the fence more private? There's evergreen but a big gap between, coz the neighbour removed theirs. We are tired of the neighbour staring since he has nothing to do and nothing to look in his empty backyard.> :(

I saw online that you can add slats or even windscreen, but where you buy this in Toronto?

Any suggestions are welcomed. TY
8 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25453 posts
2678 upvotes
Ottawa
Home Depot and Rona have the privacy slats for chain link (I have only seen green and white). You may want to call around to fencing companies because they may have different colours for the slats or perhaps even alternatives.
"some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage.” Winston Churchill
[OP]
Apr 18, 2011
6 posts
AJAX
Pete_Coach wrote:
Apr 19th, 2011 9:57 pm
Home Depot and Rona have the privacy slats for chain link (I have only seen green and white). You may want to call around to fencing companies because they may have different colours for the slats or perhaps even alternatives.

Thanks, I will browse a bit more and hopefully find a good deal.. I will need at least 40' L
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2008
1050 posts
130 upvotes
Coquitlam
4Line wrote:
Apr 20th, 2011 1:34 am
Thanks, I will browse a bit more and hopefully find a good deal.. I will need at least 40' L

If you share the fence, does your neighbour have to agree to put them on too?
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12877 posts
575 upvotes
DarkCanuck wrote:
Apr 20th, 2011 1:55 am

Good question. I wouldn't approve if it were me. I actually like having the chain link as it provides more of an open feel.
[OP]
Apr 18, 2011
6 posts
AJAX
nalababe wrote:
Apr 20th, 2011 2:11 am
Good question. I wouldn't approve if it were me. I actually like having the chain link as it provides more of an open feel.

Well it's just too open, the neighbour removed his evergreen which were supposed to be part of the fence.. now I have a big gap between mine. I don't think you would like an open feel to see your neighbour staring at you constantly whenever you are in your backyard.
Jan 10, 2007
252 posts
7 upvotes
maybe plant some greenery on your side? The slats tend to get a worn look after a few years.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12877 posts
575 upvotes
4Line wrote:
Apr 20th, 2011 2:43 am
Well it's just too open, the neighbour removed his evergreen which were supposed to be part of the fence.. now I have a big gap between mine. I don't think you would like an open feel to see your neighbour staring at you constantly whenever you are in your backyard.

Actually having it very open is exactly what we like. It provides us the feeling of a much larger backyard than we actually have. You don't feel like you are in some small box or bowling alley. On both sides we have a three foot high, seventy foot long chain link fence.

We do have a private area of our deck, but other than that it is open. There are a few trees (2 lilac) and a few shrubs, but yes you can see your neighbours on both sides...and then you talk, imagine that, interacting with other people.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3115 posts
183 upvotes
Calgary
DarkCanuck wrote:
Apr 20th, 2011 1:55 am

Depends on where the fence is. If it's on your property, then it's yours to do with as you please. Probably something that should be clearly defined before the OP invests any time/money into a solution.
× < >