Making a list/review of Canada Post alternatives for shipping to USA

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2018 1:51 pm
Feb 13, 2009
417 posts
67 upvotes
Dex wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2018 9:07 am
Cross Border Pickups. Their shipping service caters to small business mostly. I used ChitChats for shipping and Cross Border Pickups for receiving and ended up doing both with Cross Border Pickups for convenience. For my shipments in the 24"x10"x4" range, I find their shipping with tracking and signature to the US cheaper. They also have a "2-day" and "1-day" available for pretty reasonable pricing. I also use them for domestic shipping and find that I am saving about 10%-20% on Canada Post.
CBP is a great service for incoming and outgoing.

Chit Chats is also decent. I've used it once with good results, I just don't like the fact that you have to add credit to your account in order to pay for shipping.

While we're on the subject, would any of these offer service 'if' CP go on strike?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
6205 posts
778 upvotes
Toronto
Pottertons wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 8:02 pm
CBP is a great service for incoming and outgoing.

Chit Chats is also decent. I've used it once with good results, I just don't like the fact that you have to add credit to your account in order to pay for shipping.

While we're on the subject, would any of these offer service 'if' CP go on strike?
Pre paying works out better for chitchats. Nobody answers the phones at chit chats, trying to pay an invoice is like pulling teeth.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Jan 22, 2018
7 posts
1 upvote
Heard through a staff member at Chit Chats that they are looking to launch in Calgary and Ottawa next - hoping it's within the year! She mentioned they are also working on launching new drop spots in BC, Quebec and Ontario. Fingers crossed!

In terms of options if Canada Post goes on strike, she mentioned that their technical team is working on a solution for any Canadian bound shipments since their current services utilizes Canada Post.

Saw this come up in my newsfeed: https://www.bizjournals.com/prnewswire/ ... 9/21/C3097
Hope it's a sign that Chit Chats can come to our rescue ;)
Apr 2, 2017
27 posts
chit chat works great when you are starting out but then there are just too many issues.

We are using DHL eCommerce, its DHL's express's postal division. prices are better than Chit chat and they are in CAD.
Also we get tracking right from the pickup not when our packages are entered into USPS postal system.
You can go directly to them to setup an account, but DHL needs minimum 200 packages a day volume. which is stupid- we are using with a 3PL company to get those rate and it is integrated into our shopify store. so its working for now
Dec 10, 2002
657 posts
31 upvotes
EShipper also provides DHL-Ecommerce and no minimal volume limit.

EShipper is also fully integrated with EMS (https://www.emarketplaceservices.com), basically you can hook up your eshipper account and shopify account with EMS, and EMS would automatically sync your orders, and provide live shipping rates to your shopify customers. You can install EMS from shopify app store: https://apps.shopify.com/e-marketplace-services

But in your case if you have more than 200 pcs per day, probably your DHL-ECommerce rate is better than eshippers... but worth a call to them!
robshipper wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 4:19 pm
chit chat works great when you are starting out but then there are just too many issues.

We are using DHL eCommerce, its DHL's express's postal division. prices are better than Chit chat and they are in CAD.
Also we get tracking right from the pickup not when our packages are entered into USPS postal system.
You can go directly to them to setup an account, but DHL needs minimum 200 packages a day volume. which is stupid- we are using with a 3PL company to get those rate and it is integrated into our shopify store. so its working for now
Feb 13, 2009
417 posts
67 upvotes
toalan wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 10:04 pm
Pre paying works out better for chitchats. Nobody answers the phones at chit chats, trying to pay an invoice is like pulling teeth.
I've just been going in and adding the exact amount with a debit transaction. Failing that, I add the exact amount needed, print the label and then run by a drop off in the respective bin.
Doing it all from home is a nice convenient option.
As for the phone issue, grab the number for your location next time you're there.
Jul 14, 2013
456 posts
51 upvotes
wow didn't know there are so many shipping options out there. bye bye cp/ups/fedex
Apr 2, 2017
27 posts
That is the 3PL that i am using as well.
I didn't know about their EMS function, just spoke with their IT the EMS connects not only Shopify but also Etsy, amazon, and others that is pretty cool.
as we sell on Shopify and Etsy both. this will help so much with black friday and holiday season.!

thanks for the tip mate.

for others you can check out eShipper by going to their website, when we signed up our supplier gave us a promo code which helped get us better pricing- not sure if its still valid but try your luck. Promo code- 8287

go77306 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 2:36 pm
EShipper also provides DHL-Ecommerce and no minimal volume limit.

EShipper is also fully integrated with EMS (https://www.emarketplaceservices.com), basically you can hook up your eshipper account and shopify account with EMS, and EMS would automatically sync your orders, and provide live shipping rates to your shopify customers. You can install EMS from shopify app store: https://apps.shopify.com/e-marketplace-services

But in your case if you have more than 200 pcs per day, probably your DHL-ECommerce rate is better than eshippers... but worth a call to them!
Nov 17, 2013
1 posts
Just a heads up…

If you sell on amazon.com and use Chit Chats to ship your products to AMZ warehouses (via Fedex/UPS/etc), Chit Chats will not take responsibility it they lose your package on its way to the courier.

Chit Chats dropped off one of my packages at a Fedex facility but Fedex said they never received it. I learned that there is a gap of a few hours between the drop off by Chit Chats and when Fedex receives the packages. No one takes responsibility for your package if it is misplaced during this time.

Chit Chats tells me Fedex is responsible for the package once they drop it off at the facility. Fedex says that are only responsible for the package after they scan it in to receive the package.

I complained to both Chit Chats and Fedex and no one was willing to take responsibility. After several phone calls and emails, Chit Chats offered me a $1 refund for the shipping fee I paid.

I continued to follow up and after six weeks, Chit Chats said they will pay for the cost of my products. However, no has taken responsibility for losing my package.

Lesson learned.