Food & Drink

Making my own sushi, where to buy Nori + Mat, etc?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2007 11:56 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5476 posts
307 upvotes
Stouffville, ON

Making my own sushi, where to buy Nori + Mat, etc?

I was thinking a place like T&T (paying cash :) :) ) would be a good place to start, but are there any japanese grocery stores I can pick up some Nori ( the seaweed wrap) and the makisu (rolling mat) etc? And how much roughly am I looking at for those items? I want to start entertaining house guests with something a little different.
Regards,
--
m4gician
I like to detail cars. If you have any detailing questions I'd love to help! Tweet or Email anytime!
11 replies
Feb 17, 2006
90 posts
you can but the mats at almost any grocery store. i know dominion sells them too. if oyu want to try a japanses supermarket, you could go to j-town.
i think about 20$ should be more than enough for supplies, plus ingredients
Aug 9, 2006
620 posts
yeah. you can buy everything you need at T&T and other asian stores. Or you can pick it up at Dominion, Loblaws etc for slightly more. OR j-town which is significantly more... but least while you're at J-Town, you can pick up fish to do your sushi or stuff like bbq eel.

price depends on where you're buying and what you're buying and how much you're feeding/making.

Japanese rice is usually about $8.99 a bag or so.
A mat is usually $2-$3.
Seaweed is about $2-$3 for a package of 10 or so. (so do the math... one nori usually does 6 pieces x 10, you have Y amount of guests and if each eat Z, etc etc).
Rice wine vinegar is about $3.

And then there's ingredients.... like avocados, cucumber, fake crab, salmon, other types of fish, etc etc. which can be a pretty penny.

also if you're looking to entertain guests with some japanese flavour... try serving salad with wasabi salad dressing. as well as buying some frozen gyozas from the supermarket with some sauce.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5476 posts
307 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
Thanks for the advice there initial_c, I'll be doing that soon. One question, what did you mean by "fake crab?"
Regards,
--
m4gician
I like to detail cars. If you have any detailing questions I'd love to help! Tweet or Email anytime!
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
2453 posts
38 upvotes
m4gician wrote:
Nov 12th, 2007 2:24 am
Thanks for the advice there initial_c, I'll be doing that soon. One question, what did you mean by "fake crab?"
Go try little tokyo it's somewhere on augusta (kensington market)
They have all the necessary utensils for making sushi.

Fake crab, is imitation crab, like the long crab meat things are not really crab but an imitation. They are usually served in AYCE sushi since crab meat is quite expensive.
Protip : You save more money when you're not on RFD! :lol:
Aug 9, 2006
620 posts
m4gician wrote:
Nov 12th, 2007 2:24 am
you know the stuff that's in california rolls? usually avocado, cucumber and "crab". that's fake crab. Westerners use it very often for stuff like crab salad and whatnot. It's usually in the fridge aisle of the supermarkets. With dominon & loblaws and stuff, they're right next to the fresh fish section along with the other sushi ingredients/equipment.
May 15, 2007
536 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Mmm... now I'm contemplating making sushi tonight!

I always buy my sushi-making supplies at the local Asian grocery supermarket. I opt to get them there even though they're also available at place like Dominion, b/c it's a lot cheaper. Esp. when it comes to fresh veggies like cucumbers (they had English cucumbers and avocados 2 for $1.50 once!).

I picked up my sushi mat there for about $2, seasoned rice vinegar for about $2.50, nori for $2.50, wasabi tube for $1.99 and even a bamboo rice paddle for $1.29.

I usually get my imitation crab from Sobey's or Food Basics b/c I find the Clover Leaf brand taste really good ($2.99-$3.50 for a pack of 10). If you split each imitation crab roll in half you have enough for a single sushi roll.
I like to shop... and cook... and talk a lot about nothing...
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
22820 posts
914 upvotes
Markham, ON
+1 for J-town

there's a fresh fish market also...i wouldnt recommend sushi raw fish at TnT

Also you can buy smaller size sushi rice
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
17043 posts
2609 upvotes
Thornhill
J-Town is awesome, a bit expensive, but everything is genuine and top quality. Nice people there as well!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5476 posts
307 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
I went to T&T for the basics, everything works well enough, tastes exactly the same. I'm using the fake crab for california and dynamite rolls.

We'll see about making other rolls, avacado works so well with any rolls, it's just getting the rice to work out as well.
Regards,
--
m4gician
× < >