Automotive

Malfunction Indicator Lamp - 2007 Corolla - Can't figure out.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2011 10:32 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9341 posts
1547 upvotes
Toronto

Malfunction Indicator Lamp - 2007 Corolla - Can't figure out.

So my mom's 07 corolla just had the MIL light pop up which looks like this Image . It's not the one that says "check engine" under it.

I checked the gas cap, engine oil, washer fluid and stuff but it's fine.. drove a block and it's still on. The car drives absolutely fine with no problems or noises at all. The only thing I noticed was that the coolant is low but shouldn't that be another light indicator????

Anyways, please help. My trusted mechanic is away for another week so hopefully someone here can shine some light on this for me.

Much thanks all.
13 replies
Sep 27, 2008
240 posts
4 upvotes
Scarborough
U need to read the code, it's the check engine
Light. Find a place to read the code and c wat the problem is!!
May 28, 2009
484 posts
2 upvotes
im in the rh area this weekend. shoot me a pm if u would like to use my reader. $5
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9341 posts
1547 upvotes
Toronto
JzUpFakesDown wrote:
Feb 26th, 2011 1:48 pm
im in the rh area this weekend. shoot me a pm if u would like to use my reader. $5

Dude, where you located?.. I'll pm you.

I'm thinking of picking up an Obd reader too... I saw one that's onsale at CDNtire at 60% off... Reg. $149.99 and now ONSALE $59.99... seems like a basic one with decent reviews. Can anyone comment on this reader??

CdnTire link: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en
Jan 14, 2010
139 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
On those years Corolla, replacing the intake manifold gasket are very common.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showt ... p?t=324236

The gasket you have is probably worn, which made the system run too lean/rich, which then made the light come on.
On those years Corolla, most of them with engine light is that problem.

You could always go to any Part Source, they will check engine codes for you FREE of charge, and they will even look up the code, telling you whats the issue.
Hope this helps.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1698 posts
73 upvotes
Barrie
I had this light pop up on my matrix after I got gas a couple months ago. Same thing, the car felt fine etc. Couple hours the light was gone, I had to get an alignment anyways so I took it to my mechanic and he said everything looked great. My car has been running fine, no issues at all and the light has never come back, so if you find out what it is I'd be very interested to know too lol
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2120 posts
71 upvotes
try dropping by a part source, a friend told me the one on Queensway in etobicoke did a engine check for him for free ... so try dropping by a partsourse close to your house and see if they allow a free scan
Jan 2, 2006
232 posts
4 upvotes
your generation corolla tends to have the check engine light come on often...
i believe toyota has a 5yr/100,000 powertrain warranty.
if youre within the kms, bring it into a toyota dealer and get them to check it out... im betting on the intake manifold gasket also. :razz:
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1525 posts
116 upvotes
4flava wrote:
Feb 26th, 2011 3:22 pm
Dude, where you located?.. I'll pm you.

I'm thinking of picking up an Obd reader too... I saw one that's onsale at CDNtire at 60% off... Reg. $149.99 and now ONSALE $59.99... seems like a basic one with decent reviews. Can anyone comment on this reader??

CdnTire link: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en

i use that reader, highly recomended
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9341 posts
1547 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for all the replies so far. I was hoping that someone else out there had the same problem with the same car for a quick fix.

Sounds like it might be a good idea to pick up an OBD reader for myself.

And no, the corolla isn't beige, it's Navy and my mom is one of those rare good corolla drivers! LMAO :lol:
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19719 posts
1472 upvotes
There are thousands of DTC, probably hundreds of which can set the Check Engine light to on. Could be anything. You do need a code reader to find out what turned the light on, however note that the code alone will not necessarily tell you what to fix or how to fix it. For that you will need to troubleshoot the DTC(s) properly.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2008
4358 posts
362 upvotes
CatDog wrote:
Feb 26th, 2011 5:48 pm
is it beige?

at least suggest something helpful, like taking it to the appliance repair man instead of taking it to the mechanic (they fix cars).
× < >