• Apr 23rd, 2019 6:07 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5072 posts
1908 upvotes

Man stopped from buying 48lbs butter, called "You people"

So that's the gist of it. This guy wanted to buy 2 cases of 24 lbs butter from No Frills (on sale this week for $2.77) and only got to purchase one case. The owner of the store claimed the limit was 4, and berated him with, "‘You people’ think you can come and purchase any number of the item you want and you don't leave any for anyone else,” which the butter guy says was "racially charged". He wants an apology from Loblaw.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/92 ... teraction/

There was no limit posted in store or in the flyer.

Could the guy just have gotten 4 dozen pounds of butter at Costco for $133?
Last edited by lecale on Apr 13th, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
138 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5335 posts
614 upvotes
Scarborough
Fail, could’ve bought a couple of times within minutes. Duh what does he need so much for?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20111 posts
4071 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Most likely they are going to resell it.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5335 posts
614 upvotes
Scarborough
Limits should be strictly enforced
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20470 posts
6581 upvotes
Could be a restaurant too.

I see people buying cases of butter at Wholesale club all the time.

$2.77 is a damn good price and even I'd buy a half a case for home use.

I blame the merchant. No posted limits = no posted limits.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
10547 posts
2150 upvotes
Montréal
LOL can't believe in this day and age ppl still put their foot in their mouths. The owner too and not just some part-time personnel? Ouch.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Apr 1, 2004
317 posts
164 upvotes
how is "you people" racially charged....? some people are way too sensitive

and "think you can come and purchase any number of the item you want and you don't leave any for anyone else,"
that's the truth... (although most of the rfd'er are like that), don't get offended just because someone pointed it out

in the article it says they are facing difficult times with passing of a family member.... did they ever think about maybe there are other families whose every dollar counts and can't afford to spend an extra $1 for butter, who would like to buy just one or two, but can't because there is no more stock
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5072 posts
1908 upvotes
I can see the "no limit posted" argument, but the guy said he needed it for a celebration at his place of worship, which is an organization, which technically should be dealing with a wholesaler though.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4188 posts
490 upvotes
Ottawa
It seems to me that "you people" would seem to refer to hoarders/resellers or restaurant people instead of being about the person's race. It seems like they had a good reason to want to buy so much butter, but left without giving an explanation of their intent.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
10547 posts
2150 upvotes
Montréal
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 5:27 pm
It seems to me that "you people" would seem to refer to hoarders/resellers or restaurant people instead of being about the person's race. It seems like they had a good reason to want to buy so much butter, but left without giving an explanation of their intent.
It could be that or it could be a snide way to be 'racist' (nope, didn't say that...either lack of vocab or cowardly, just come out and say it).
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16000 posts
3790 upvotes
Toronto
The flyer makes no mention of any limit so the guy has a case.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5072 posts
1908 upvotes
Honestly, I'd like to attend a banquet that used 48 lbs of butter, just once. Hollandaise fountain?
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
10547 posts
2150 upvotes
Montréal
Also, I don't care what they do w the butter afterwards, as long as it's legal. If they're gaming the 'sys' legally, good for them. That's really an irrelevant tangent.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16427 posts
3509 upvotes
Toronto
carmaster wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 5:53 pm
The flyer makes no mention of any limit so the guy has a case.
Just one case though.