• Oct 18th, 2004 8:52 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 13, 2003
385 posts
21 upvotes

Mandarin Restaurant

What do you like/don't like about Mandarin?

Just doing an informal survey.

Thanks
34 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5413 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto
I personally like it.
Lot of of friends think its sea food only so don't go there often.

I do consider it slightly on the pricey side. But quality / variety I guess justify it.
For Sale:
  • DSLR Slider
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2004
1083 posts
86 upvotes
Markham
Food's really decent. I think they're tops of the western style Chinese buffets in Toronto. They need more sushi/sashimi for my liking though.

Price is outrageous though. $21.99 for Friday, Sat, Sun & Holiday dinners...
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10089 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
plisk3n wrote:Food's really decent. I think they're tops of the western style Chinese buffets in Toronto. They need more sushi/sashimi for my liking though.

Price is outrageous though. $21.99 for Friday, Sat, Sun & Holiday dinners...
$21.99 is a good price

I wish they would charge more...

cheap ass buffets have tarnished the image of food IMO.

most chinese restaurants compete too much based on price.. good for customers but has really hurt the asian food industry.

look at all the "white" restarants out there.. you pay 18.99 just for a steak dinner.

if buffets weren't to busy dumping on to the market restaurant owners wold be better off.
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
May 3, 2004
621 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
plisk3n wrote:They need more sushi/sashimi for my liking though.
meh, their sushi is gross.

my favorite item at mandarin are the waffles! :lol:
Banned
Jul 13, 2003
5232 posts
5 upvotes
Personally I don't like Mandarin buffets at all. Grossly over rated. Food is mediocre at best and for $20 per person I'd rather treat myself to nice big bowl of pasta and calamari.
"It's a case of mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter" - Bret Hart
Aug 11, 2004
605 posts
1 upvote
I like the fact that it's pretty clean. A bit expensive though and I am also not a big fan of some of their 'funky' sushi rolls (although some do grow on you). I like the seafood and the mussels. MMMMMMussels.
Sep 22, 2004
539 posts
The416
Mandarin is ok... foods reasonable... $22 bux is a bit steep for what you get though....
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2004
1195 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't eaten in there for a while, but their delivery is pretty decent... dinner for 4 with taxes/delivery and tip is under $50 if I remember, and it's a lot of food.. always leftovers!
Sep 6, 2003
899 posts
2 upvotes
i only go a few times in a year, mainly lunch on w/e since cheaper than dinner. too many fried foods - not a very healthy dinner. but i do like it. nice selection of hot foods and desserts. i enjoyed dinner last weekend for their moon festival selection - fresh dragon eye fruit, fish, roast suckling pig etc.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
1084 posts
3 upvotes
Côte Saint-Luc
great firty (I mean buffet) food.. I love it ...
but VERY pricey on wkends and nights....

I'd go more often if it were cheaper....
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10089 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
gdutton wrote:Mandarin is ok... foods reasonable... $22 bux is a bit steep for what you get though....
this is what i mean... what do you mean $22 is steep... go eat a pasta at jack astors or a chicken dinner at kelsey's are you've spent the same....
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
1846 posts
154 upvotes
Central Ontario
shaolinmonk wrote:what do you mean $22 is steep... go eat a pasta at jack astors or a chicken dinner at kelsey's are you've spent the same....
...and you're not getting "all you can eat" at those Jack Astor's or Kelsey's.

Geez guys, Mandarin could be $4.99 for all you can eat lobster and people would still complain about the price.
Banned
Jul 13, 2003
5232 posts
5 upvotes
shaolinmonk wrote:this is what i mean... what do you mean $22 is steep... go eat a pasta at jack astors or a chicken dinner at kelsey's are you've spent the same....
a pasta at Kelsey's and Jack Astor's doesn't cost $22. I can get a order of calamari and pasta at Kelsey's, pay $22 for it and it would be far better quality food than at any ayce.

AYCE is good once in a while for maybe some group event so people can shoot the **** when they're walking around picking up food.
"It's a case of mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter" - Bret Hart