• Oct 18th, 2004 8:52 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
1846 posts
154 upvotes
Central Ontario
Degenerate wrote:a pasta at Kelsey's and Jack Astor's doesn't cost $22. I can get a order of calamari and pasta at Kelsey's, pay $22 for it and it would be far better quality food than at any ayce.
I wouldn't just lump Mandarin in with every ayce cause most of them are crap. The food is much better quality... and you get ayce.

Kelsey's ain't exactly high-end food either... it's just another family restaurant.
Banned
Jul 13, 2003
5232 posts
5 upvotes
JustMike wrote:I wouldn't just lump Mandarin in with every ayce cause most of them are crap. The food is much better quality... and you get ayce.

Kelsey's ain't exactly high-end food either... it's just another family restaurant.
I would lump Mandarin with other ayce because I find it to be grossly over rated.

I agree Keley's isn't high end but their food is better than ayce.
"It's a case of mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter" - Bret Hart
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
calamari is 7bux minimum even at kelsey, pasta is 14 on average..that is 21 already with no desert and limited to two items. while ayce for 22bux at mandarin gets you prime rib, shrimp, musseles, etc... and desert.

i would agree that some ayce is not as good quality...mandarin may perhaps be over rated, but i find their food while not great, is decent and much better than kelsey's (acutally kelsey's is my least favourite restaurant, i've been multiple times and everytime at different location it was disgusting.) i like casey's, outback and milestone's much more than kelsey. Kelsey is one grade above McDonald's at best
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2004
1440 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
slouie wrote:What do you like/don't like about Mandarin?

Just doing an informal survey.

Thanks
Food's fairly good, price is a little high but the service is good. I especially like those warm towels they give you at the end of your meal. :cheesygri
Proud member of RFD for over 12 YEARS!
Heatware (64-0-0)
Layin' the smackdown on RFD
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
1846 posts
154 upvotes
Central Ontario
Degenerate wrote:I would lump Mandarin with other ayce because I find it to be grossly over rated.
Overrated by who?
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10089 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
Degenerate wrote:I would lump Mandarin with other ayce because I find it to be grossly over rated.

I agree Keley's isn't high end but their food is better than ayce.
yes your prefer kelseys...but let's put it this way... you walk in to kelseys or Jacks and order one of their "asian" dishes.. noodles...

14.95 noddles/veg chicken, upgrade to casear salad 1.99.. pretty damn close to 18.00 not ayce.. the quality is not better then the mandarin, but yet you don't find that expensive? that makes no sense... i don't blame you .. i'm just saying lots of buffets have shot themselves and their business in the foot with these low ball pricing techniques... which is why i'm very happy with mandarins prices and hope they keep it high...

make chinese food a little respectable again... too many buffets just dump all over the market, drive up costs.. waste food.. and don't have actual business models for success... just short term fast cash schemes...
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2004
1645 posts
11 upvotes
shaolinmonk wrote: .. i'm just saying lots of buffets have shot themselves and their business in the foot with these low ball pricing techniques... which is why i'm very happy with mandarins prices and hope they keep it high...

make chinese food a little respectable again... too many buffets just dump all over the market, drive up costs.. waste food.. and don't have actual business models for success... just short term fast cash schemes...
sounds good. I agree with what i quoted you saying. Wish that these ppl would put their act together and make some good food rather than hordes of it for very cheap. Some places i go to for AYCE is just gross. The quality is simply digusting.

Never been to Mandarin in recent memory, and I highly doubt a visit will come anytime soon. Not sure why but Chinese buffets don't interest me...
:arrowd: these do though :arrowd:
Heatware: 40-0-0
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2004
1533 posts
i think that their food are OK but not "that good" !~ and i wouldn't pay that much for it neither ~ i would choose japanese buffet over mandarin !!
Apr 23, 2004
978 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
food is good but its overpriced.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
6939 posts
513 upvotes
Toronto
Whats sad is that for so many people the Mandarin is as close as they ever get to getting real Chinese food.

Weekend prices are steep. For $22 I can get a decent steak, seafood, or pasta dinner and side dish with a hell of a lot more flavour. Or for $44 a bunch of dishes with flavour to serve 2 at a decent chinese restaurant. Wouldn't have to deal with the big crowd walking around me back and forth to the feeding trough either.

I do ocassionally go their for lunch during the week as its close to work though. So much cheaper.
Apr 23, 2004
978 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
just came back from mandarin
17/pp they had the moon celebration
food was pretty good
suckling pig was juicy the sushi was ok
the peel and eat shrimp is excellent.
also the roast beef was very good
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6273 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
Mandarin food is not good compared to non-buffet, real Chinese restaurants.

But, as far as AYCE Chinese food buffets go, it's one of the best and one of the most expensive. There are cheaper. But I haven't found one with better food yet.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5427 posts
217 upvotes
Mississauga
shaolinmonk wrote:$21.99 is a good price

I wish they would charge more...

cheap ass buffets have tarnished the image of food IMO.

most chinese restaurants compete too much based on price.. good for customers but has really hurt the asian food industry.

look at all the "white" restarants out there.. you pay 18.99 just for a steak dinner.

if buffets weren't to busy dumping on to the market restaurant owners wold be better off.
well, it's not good for customers either.. unless they don't care about the quality of the food.. if they're cutting prices, they got to cut their costs to match those prices
Nov 29, 2003
400 posts
How much does the lunch buffet cost at mandarin? I haven't been there in years and I would like to know. I'm hungry. :D
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2002
2877 posts
93 upvotes
Oakville
I used to go to Mandarin for the dinner buffet, untill I tried the Lunch buffet.
Cheapper and the same food as far as I could tell (no roastbeef though).