Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2006
1086 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto

Manfrotto Tripod, entry level

I am considering both 190XPROB+804RC2 and 055MF4+488RC2
the price for me are 230+tax and 450+tax

:lol: which one would you guys suggest for entry level usage. I am using [rfdlink=38]Canon[/rfdlink] 400D (may upgrade to 5D after summer if I start full-time working) plus 18-200 Sigma and the biggest lense I have is EF USM 70-200mm f/2.8.

I preferred 055MF4 but later was told by a friend I still need to have this upgraded to Gitzo in the future...it's hard for me to make a right decision: to go for 190XPRO and save money for the future upgrades or to buy the 055MF4 and keep it for a couple years.

thank you!
6 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1466 upvotes
Pickering
ZoomZoom2006 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2008 2:34 pm
I am considering both and 055MF4+488RC2
the price for me are 230+tax and 450+tax

:lol: which one would you guys suggest for entry level usage. I am using Canon 400D (may upgrade to 5D after summer if I start full-time working) plus 18-200 Sigma and the biggest lense I have is EF USM 70-200mm f/2.8.

I preferred 055MF4 but later was told by a friend I still need to have this upgraded to Gitzo in the future...it's hard for me to make a right decision: to go for 190XPRO and save money for the future upgrades or to buy the 055MF4 and keep it for a couple years.

thank you!

I have the 190XPROB+804RC2 I picked up from Henry's for $199. There is a kit which is cheaper than buying the two separately. I got in an argument with a moron at Henry's who insisted there was no kit, until he looked it up and found it. It is very versatile and folds up to a reasonable size. I have added a Manfrotto ball head which is less prone to resonances, but kept the 804 for macros. If I had to do it again I would probably forego the 804 RC2 and get the 488 RC2 ball head, I have the 486 RC2 currently. Ball heads have no slop or ways to resonate, once the ball is tight, the unit feels like one piece. Try one. It is easier to transport as it doesn't have levers sticking out all over the place, and it is faster to adjust. Just move the lever and adjust the camera and move the lever back and it's done. The 804 RC2 requires the adjustment of 3 separate levers which is not fast to set up for shots.

I have thought of getting a 055MF4, but when I play with them they don't seem to offer anymore stiffness than the 190proB. It just offers more height. Gitzo Basalt doesn't impress me, it still seems wobbly and resonates forever if tapped. I purchased a Gitzo 5530s which is definitely overkill and easily can (and has) supported my 210+ pounds without even flinching. I would recommend a Gitzo 3530S or the like. Very stiff. Very sexy. You could use the Manfrotto ballhead on it. There is no centre column, so there is no way for anything to wobble. Raising a centre column is like placing a monopod on top of a tripod, not very stable. Did I say monopod? Get a Manfrotto 608 B and use the Manfrotto 488 ballhead on it. Stiff, quick to extend. With the ballhead, fully extended my camera is at eye level (I am 6'1"). I also have an Arca Swiss, but I'm sure you don't want to go there...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2006
1086 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
:cheesygri great review, man, realli helpful.

I got a 488RC4 today from a RFDer today and problly go for 055MF4. Gitzo is defintely higher end but I cannot afford one rite now :(
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10725 posts
4286 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The biggest question with a tripod purchase is how much do you want to carry. If you are using at home/office/studio, there are no real issues with weight or size. In fact, generally, the bigger the better for versatility and stability. However, if you are looking to use in on vacation or for a hike, that 055 which seemed like a good idea at the time may not be.

So, what do you want to use it for?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2006
1086 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
craftsman wrote:
Jul 6th, 2008 12:13 am
The biggest question with a tripod purchase is how much do you want to carry. If you are using at home/office/studio, there are no real issues with weight or size. In fact, generally, the bigger the better for versatility and stability. However, if you are looking to use in on vacation or for a hike, that 055 which seemed like a good idea at the time may not be.

So, what do you want to use it for?

hmm, I will use it mostly for vocations.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1466 upvotes
Pickering
ZoomZoom2006 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2008 12:55 am
For vacations, I use a Manfrotto 728B (which has an insane height) and my Manfrotto monopod. Most other things are too heavy to lug around all day. On my recent trip to Arizona, I used the 24-105L and shot handheld. The 728B has held my 40D plus my 24-70L (which weighs more than the camera) with ease. The monopod can be used indoors, so security doesn't flag your tripod as a danger, and with the IS on the 24-105 it works well. If it isn't that bright inside, I use the 50mm 1.8 and bump the ISO a little and use the monopod (preferably braced against something solid and inanimate) for clear low light/low speed shots. I was looking at the 055MF4, but I have never found fault with the smaller lighter cheaper 728B. I guess I will keep the money as I wait for the 5D replacement. I feels sad to get rid of my 40D so fast, but I can't help myself...
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10725 posts
4286 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ZoomZoom2006 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2008 12:55 am
You want something light. A 055 will unless you workout a lot will be very heavy to carry around. I recently got a Carbon Fiber Feisol traveling tripod that weights only 1 Kg and is small enough to be carried inside of a carry-on.