Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1567 posts
47 upvotes
usa

Mangosteen

Would anyone pay $4.99 + tax for one mangosteen? Asian markets are selling them for 5.99 or 7.99 per pound. I was at a western supermarket and was selling them for 5.99 each. I first thought it was per pound, but saw the small letters "ea." I doubt the quality is any better than the ones from Asian markets.
4 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33234 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
I saw them yesterday at around $4.99 lb and they are sold as bundled into a sack of about 6-8 pieces per.

Very typical of Westernized supermarket to charge that kind of $.
Jun 14, 2012
412 posts
36 upvotes
because for every one they might sell, they might have to throw another 1-2 out. so the consumer essentially pays for the stuff that doesn't sell. Some places you can also get a refund if you don't like the product or if you pick up a bad one and it doesn't taste good.

It might just be the store you shop at has higher margins on all products like loblaws vs nofrills
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1567 posts
47 upvotes
usa
Selling them for so much, eventually the entire batch will need to be thrown out. Chinese here in Chicago are so cheap, they probably wouldn't even pay 4.99 per lb for mangosteen. Even paying 7.99 per lb, they are all frozen and many of the flesh are brown or yellow. I miss the fruits and food in Toronto.
Jul 10, 2015
1 posts
Toronto, ON
Natural Juices & Vitamins Ltd. is UK based online store which supplies Mangosteen Juice @ £17.99