Automotive

Manual or Auto?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 12th, 2005 4:02 am
Tags:
None

Poll: Is your car Manual or Automatic??

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
1674 posts
4 upvotes
what if you have more than one?
it doesn't allow you to vote more than once
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2004
2171 posts
2 upvotes
sledbc wrote: IMO, manuals are for either....a) economy cars with little or no power b) vehicles intended for hauling large loads or towing or c) REAL sports cars (corvette, viper, etc....NOT civics or golfs with 6" fart pipes)

Buy a real car people :p
I like the last point, Not civics or golgs with 6'' fart pipes, that's classic. I hate some dude with fart pipes at a stop sign or red light, the suker really blows loud (yet doesn't move all that fast).

damn, I need to get my G2.
Aug 28, 2001
219 posts
BC
JoKeRr wrote:I like the last point, Not civics or golgs with 6'' fart pipes, that's classic. I hate some dude with fart pipes at a stop sign or red light, the suker really blows loud (yet doesn't move all that fast).

damn, I need to get my G2.
Some of the older Camaros are loud as hell too...and they don't need a special muffler or anything. Those things should be blown up.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2004
1302 posts
29 upvotes
Markham
I currently drive Auto, but it's not my car. My car will be manual for sure. :-0
Oct 29, 2003
130 posts
26 upvotes
my car will be the best automatic ever, DSG by Volkswagen.... will never miss a shift, will shift in .0008 seconds or whatever, it will get better gas mileage too. I'm sorry but the stick is going to go the way of hte dinosaur and will be a niche market in the future. its just the way it is.
Jan 13, 2004
29 posts
jonc wrote:my car will be the best automatic ever, DSG by Volkswagen.... will never miss a shift, will shift in .0008 seconds or whatever, it will get better gas mileage too. I'm sorry but the stick is going to go the way of hte dinosaur and will be a niche market in the future. its just the way it is.
It's a clutchless manual...
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2002
3307 posts
26 upvotes
kornstar369 wrote:stick and wont go back.

not nly does downshifting help out in the winter....but you can slam gears in the summer and have some fun...even with the lower end cars....
And whats stopping you from downshifting in an auto?
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
jonc wrote:my car will be the best automatic ever, DSG by Volkswagen.... will never miss a shift, will shift in .0008 seconds or whatever, it will get better gas mileage too. I'm sorry but the stick is going to go the way of hte dinosaur and will be a niche market in the future. its just the way it is.
Technically, the DSG is a manual transmission, it has a clutch, and a gearbox without a torque converter. The gearbox preengages the next gear for you and the computer controls the clutch. It is just a more advanced form of manual tranmission.

And your prediction that stick is going away fast is a bit premature. Don't forget that the majority of the rest of the world (except North America) drives stick shift. Many automatic cars have been available all around the world, and people in Europe, and many other continents still choose manual. It's simpler, more fun, cheaper, and well proven.

For those who knock manual, and haven't taken the time to learn, I'm sorry to say, you're missing out on one of the basic pleasures of driving.
Mar 17, 2002
199 posts
t_ginuwine wrote:I don't understand why people keep saying it's a drag in stop and go traffic. It's not even an inconvenience for me. I'm so used to it that It's become second nature, it's effortless really.
Exactly....I don't understand the big deal either. Traffic, no traffic, it's all the same to me. Stick all the way baby!!!

MM
You stole my Jesus fish!
Oct 31, 2003
398 posts
Hamilton
Manual Transmission.

My reasons:

#1 Easier to fix
#2 Don't have to worry about ATF
#3 better fuel economy
#4 power shifting > torque converter

As for the comment for being able to downshift in automatic... I like to control 5/6 gears, not 2/3/4.

Taught to drive in a standard, bought a standard, rented an automatic, and I didn't drive till my car was out of the body shop :-0

and yes you can drink and drive a standard! (I'm talkin about pepsi or apple juice or something)... I manage to have a smoke and drink a pop while driving in city, just takes time and practice!

All in all, I'd say more than 80% of the worlds population that drives, drives standard. 95% of europe is standard trannys, even their minivans are standard. So in no way is it going the way of the dinosaur. Not that I have anything against automatics, i just enjoy the thrill of a standard more :D
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
MethodMan wrote:Exactly....I don't understand the big deal either. Traffic, no traffic, it's all the same to me. Stick all the way baby!!!

MM
Agreed. With some cars, the clutch is a bit heavier, so there is a bit more work. On better cars, the shifter and clutch are so smooth and effortless. It also depends on driving style...if you don't agressively hug the rear bumper of the front car, you don't need to brake or shift as often. Whether automatic or manual, heavy traffic is a pain regardless. I find if I relax my mind, don't tailgate to avoid having to brake all the time, I find heavy traffic much less stressful/aggravating.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Aug 27, 2003
42 posts
I've just learned manual, and driving a 97 VW GTI. Loving it all the way. I don't mind stop and go traffic. All that shifting and clutching becomes 2nd nature very soon. :)

And I like the fact that I can save gas by not shifting agressively.

Btw, does anyone know how to do clutchless shifting?
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
Hanbo wrote: Btw, does anyone know how to do clutchless shifting?
Why bother....you are risking your transmission if you make mistakes. The best race drivers in the world still use the clutch and it doesn't slow them down any.
Oct 31, 2003
398 posts
Hamilton
If you're going to practice clutchless shifting, you should have a few thousand dollars to put into your tranny, because you will blow a couple...

But FYI only, if I remember correctly (been a while since i've done it) say you're in 2nd gear, rev to about 6000rpm, push it out of the gear (no clutch) as the gauge is falling, when it hits 3500rpm (different on all cars) pop it into third... if you're racing, powershifting is much more effecient because you get the most torque out of that. Greater torque means you'll get to where ever you're going faster.
Aug 27, 2003
42 posts
Psychotic wrote:If you're going to practice clutchless shifting, you should have a few thousand dollars to put into your tranny, because you will blow a couple...

But FYI only, if I remember correctly (been a while since i've done it) say you're in 2nd gear, rev to about 6000rpm, push it out of the gear (no clutch) as the gauge is falling, when it hits 3500rpm (different on all cars) pop it into third... if you're racing, powershifting is much more effecient because you get the most torque out of that. Greater torque means you'll get to where ever you're going faster.

Thanks for the explanation. I was just curious.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14494 posts
252 upvotes
Mississauga
adwoodw wrote:Too much stop and go traffic so I prefer an auto.
Yup, thats when I wished for my old automatic. But for controlled deceleration, nothing beats the combination of braking with down shifting. Especially in winter.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2002
1585 posts
3 upvotes
Newmarket
mlc2000 wrote:Yup, thats when I wished for my old automatic. But for controlled deceleration, nothing beats the combination of braking with down shifting. Especially in winter.
got that right. i probably woulda plowed into the ass end of a few cars this winter on the QEW had it not been for downshifting :)
😎
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
4582 posts
gta
alot of good points....i hate driving stick in rush hour though....but theres something that when driving stick compared to auto, it feels like you are actually driving the car....you're in control and you can slap around as many gears as you want.....providing your tranny stays in tact....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)