• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2015 8:15 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 22, 2015
235 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto, ON
so, manuals are better than automatics, so what?! :)
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2241 posts
447 upvotes
thetipster wrote: Lol its so true. Men have a major bias for manual. Over the years I would get compliments on my car and the question would come "Is it stick?" when I say yes they are always so happy.

BTW I am a man. I love to drive, and maybe part of the reason for that is the manual transmission. With it I have more control of the car. I am in tune with it. I am driving it. With auto it's just not the same.

If you are passionate about cars and don't know how to drive stick I highly recommend at least learning to see if it's for you.
no, a man is one who earns the respect of his peers, and provide a good life for his family.....
anyone can learn how to drive a stick in 45 mins. lol

my keyboard is quickly melting from the irony of this thread...manual drivers are douche because they pre-judge automatic drivers, yet this thread is nothing but people with auto-tranny calling manual drivers douches because they shift gears. lol wut??!?!
Dec 7, 2012
547 posts
71 upvotes
Sounds like you met a typical RFDer in the automotive section
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1268 posts
655 upvotes
York Region
x86asm wrote: **Applause**

I don't buy the traffic argument either, traffic sucks period. You will eventually get frustrated in either transmission. You are also correct on the people who over-promote the auto's in which RFD is full of. I also drive stick as a dd and don't have an issue with it, even in traffic. As you get proficient enough with it, you find ways to minimize shifting in those scenarios and still keep up with traffic, it's just that people aren't willing to take the time to figure these techniques out.
I used to go Westend Toronto to Markham and vice versa then Newmarket to toronto and vice versa everyday for with in a manual. I only remember being frustrated by being stuck in traffic. Manual shifting was like breathing, you just did it. I now drive an auto and when I get stuck in traffic I'm just as frustrated as I was in a manual.

Manual or auto? Who cares. Both suck when you are stuck on the dvp.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2010
2506 posts
1279 upvotes
ON
c_snapper wrote: no, a man is one who earns the respect of his peers, and provide a good life for his family.....
anyone can learn how to drive a stick in 45 mins. lol

my keyboard is quickly melting from the irony of this thread...manual drivers are douche because they pre-judge automatic drivers, yet this thread is nothing but people with auto-tranny calling manual drivers douches because they shift gears. lol wut??!?!
Wtf, I never tried to define what a man is. I just gave an honest opinion regarding the topic. I don't think you are a man if you drive manual and I don't think you are feminine if you don't.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1223 posts
1102 upvotes
Car enthusiasts how do they work? Of course you don't want an auto, especially the old style horrible automatic as found in the is300..a car that is already slow, being made even slower :P

Ciao
Apr 15, 2010
259 posts
81 upvotes
Burlington
nasa25 wrote: I literally give 0.0 ****** about the possibility of ever driving a manual. Does that make me less of a man?
I think it depends on the vehicle. If I'm buying a minivan, SUV, or pick up truck, I'm most likely going to get it in automatic. If you're buying a sports car, it's really a waste to be getting it in automatic. It's nothing about being more or less of a man. It's just doing what makes sense. And yes, I don't care whether your 20 speed dual clutch transmission can shift 10 seconds faster than someone operating a manual transmission.

In the end, it's all about driving enjoyment. Some people enjoy automatics more, some people enjoy manuals more.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2005
1213 posts
107 upvotes
Vaughan, On
I drive a manual subaru, the fun facts wore off eons ago and each time I was sitting in the car during a *regular* peak time traffic jam on highway 401 in toronto, I really want to bang my head against the steering wheels....so many times I asked myself this question :"did you get yourself a manual?! for real?!"
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2010
2301 posts
1422 upvotes
Montreal
Based on some of the replies to this thread, I think that the average "manual douche" is totally unaware that he is in fact THAT GUY
nasa25 wrote: I literally give 0.0 ****** about the possibility of ever driving a manual. Does that make me less of a man?
Fobwall wrote: I think it depends on the vehicle. If I'm buying a minivan, SUV, or pick up truck, I'm most likely going to get it in automatic. If you're buying a sports car, it's really a waste to be getting it in automatic. It's nothing about being more or less of a man. It's just doing what makes sense. And yes, I don't care whether your 20 speed dual clutch transmission can shift 10 seconds faster than someone operating a manual transmission.

In the end, it's all about driving enjoyment. Some people enjoy automatics more, some people enjoy manuals more.
In the end, driving manual is just terribly unproductive.. I'm usually having breakfast, replying to texts, catching up on the latest headlines, sending off important emails, etc
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14470 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
mtl-D wrote: Based on some of the replies to this thread, I think that the average "manual douche" is totally unaware that he is in fact THAT GUY

In the end, driving manual is just terribly unproductive.. I'm usually having breakfast, replying to texts, catching up on the latest headlines, sending off important emails, etc
Can't forget applying make up, flipping the bird to other drivers, brushing teeth...
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
Ive owned both, can drive both. Currently own automatics. Its a good skill to learn, in case you need it to drive a manual in the future or emergency.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2010
2301 posts
1422 upvotes
Montreal
cartfan123 wrote: Can't forget applying make up, flipping the bird to other drivers, brushing teeth...
Absolutely!! The options are endless... that's not to say that driving manual is totally unproductive.. all that stick-handling can certainly improve performance in a variety of unrelated activities
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1646 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
mtl-D wrote: Based on some of the replies to this thread, I think that the average "manual douche" is totally unaware that he is in fact THAT GUY

You know you can get ticketed for those "productive" activities?

Anyway, that point is moot. People driving manual transmission can do all of that as well.

Many people prefer manual transmission because they enjoy driving it.
Apr 15, 2010
259 posts
81 upvotes
Burlington
mtl-D wrote: In the end, driving manual is just terribly unproductive.. I'm usually having breakfast, replying to texts, catching up on the latest headlines, sending off important emails, etc
Unfortunately, I'd say that you're unproductive if you can't drive a manual and do those things as well. I feel bad for you.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
7140 posts
3513 upvotes
snow00774 wrote: Wow just popped in to read through and wound up finding out my husband stands to wipe. Never heard of this and I HAVE ONE IN MY OWN HOUSE. mind blowing.

on topic - no idea why people ask that question in the judgy manner they do. we have a couple of guy friends who do this and sound like tools.
how can you possibly have good "access" while you're standing??
can't do a good job of it while standing.... must get dirty down there :p
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
7140 posts
3513 upvotes
and maybe change the title of that thread........ I was thinking something TOTALLY different when I read that title on the first go around....... if u know what i mean.......
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford
SomeOtherDude wrote: how can you possibly have good "access" while you're standing??
can't do a good job of it while standing.... must get dirty down there :p

ugh. I had forgotten about the disturbing revelation until the email notification that you had quoted me. gaaahhhhhhh.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)