None
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2009
1964 posts
123 upvotes
Center of the Univer…
ncc.1701 wrote:
Mar 5th, 2013 2:23 pm
Good luck with keeping control on car without clutch engaged. Small flick and you are flying sidewide.
Your car is actually more stable when its free-rolling without any internal friction. I dont see how a flick and you are "flying sidewide".

kennyluo wrote:
Mar 5th, 2013 2:33 pm
The clutch wear is so not worth it for the minimal gas saving, let alone the safety concern for going to neutral when driving on a highway.

Sacrificing your evasive maneuver ability during an emergency situation will result a dead RFDer trying to save some pretty pennies.

Not sure if you are trolling... :facepalm:
Clutch only wears if you are teh suck at rev-matching.

Evasive maneuver doesnt always require you to speed up. If thats how you "evade" on the highway, you might consider learning how to look forward and down the road so you dont find yourself in this situation.

KevC wrote:
Mar 5th, 2013 2:52 pm
Why not keep it in gear, instead of go to Neutral? On modern EFI cars, there is little to no fuel consumption when throttle is closed.
Sure you have no gas consumption, but you'll notice theres less friction (no energy loss from the engine winding down and flywheel) when you're in neutral. You are able to coast/travel farther rolling in neutral than with the throttle closed.
LyGuy wrote:
Mar 18th, 2013 2:01 pm
Question about shifting to neutral for whatever reasons:
Is it necessary to depress clutch when shifting to neutral? I've seen my friend push the stick to neutral without stepping on clutch and car seems fine, no grinding, etc. Is this even a 'technique'?
um. I guess not lol. Just a habit for me.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2009
1964 posts
123 upvotes
Center of the Univer…
Gutty96 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2013 2:11 pm
Ya, you can go out of gear without using the clutch, but rarely into gear. There is a "sweet spot" in every manual transmission that will allow shifting from gear to gear without using the clutch.

In all the Sunfires/Cavaliers , it was 15, 30, 50 and 65, and 80 kms to get through all five gears without using the clutch.
you should probably post the matching RPM points as well lol.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6693 posts
1435 upvotes
Saibot wrote:
Mar 18th, 2013 2:24 pm
you should probably post the matching RPM points as well lol.
I can't remember, it was 10-15 years ago! LOL

I have been driving automatic, gas pigs ever since.
Jul 20, 2009
47 posts
6 upvotes
I'm more concerned with driving smoothly. My main goal is to drive the car to feel like an automatic,
I don't enjoy a jumpy nauseous ride, and i have yet to learn how to downshift to a standstill without the car being "jumpy",
to save gas i try to shift gears slightly over 2000rpm, or at 2000rpm, with the only time i go over 2500rpm is when doing 110-115 on 5th gear (i don't have a 6th).
when approaching an intersection i usually shift to neutral, and coast, while using the breaks if i need to stop. Once i reach the intersection i pop it into first, clutch down ready to go.
If traffic moves before i get to a complete stop, i pop it into the right gear (usually 2nd or 3rd) depending on the speed and continue driving.

so far (been driving for around a month) I've been able to get slightly under the posted mileage for my car.

anyone have any tips on how to engine brake/downshift smoothly?
Oct 11, 2006
967 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
Saibot wrote:
Mar 18th, 2013 2:23 pm
Clutch only wears if you are teh suck at rev-matching.
Woah we got a smart@ss here. You reduce the wear if you do properly rev-matching but you cannot eliminate the wear completely. Please argue otherwise.

Saibot wrote:
Mar 18th, 2013 2:23 pm
Evasive maneuver doesnt always require you to speed up. If thats how you "evade" on the highway, you might consider learning how to look forward and down the road so you dont find yourself in this situation.
Keeping your car in gear =/= speed up, you just have more ways to deal with the situation. Too much of your assumption on how I drive without any proper backup will make you looking like a tard. :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
40592 posts
4369 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
corvettefan wrote:
Mar 4th, 2013 12:54 pm
You can also skip gears in a manual transmission car, provided you can get enough low-end torque from the engine. On my Mustang GT, in the city, I can go from 1-4-6, plenty of grunt. On the Civic, I can only do 1-2-4-5, since the engine is basically gutless.
You can do that? I thought it would just make a lot of funny noises and rev weird.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2009
1964 posts
123 upvotes
Center of the Univer…
kennyluo wrote:
Mar 18th, 2013 4:34 pm
Woah we got a smart@ss here. You reduce the wear if you do properly rev-matching but you cannot eliminate the wear completely. Please argue otherwise.
Keeping your car in gear =/= speed up, you just have more ways to deal with the situation. Too much of your assumption on how I drive without any proper backup will make you looking like a tard. :facepalm:
I dont understand why the majority of your posts have to end with personal insults lol.

Regardless, by your logic: "minimum savings should be disregarded, but reduced clutch wear is something we should watch out for"
i think you need to really decide deep down if you're going to care about the small things or not. Do you want to look at the big picture of small picture? Either you should regard all small details or disregard everything and just drive normally.
Keeping your car in gear =/= speed up, you just have more ways to deal with the situation. Too much of your assumption on how I drive without any proper backup will make you looking like a tard.
tell me. what "more" ways do you have to deal with the situation if your car is in gear vs if its not in gear besides speeding up?
Oct 11, 2006
967 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
Saibot wrote:
Mar 18th, 2013 6:13 pm
I dont understand why the majority of your posts have to end with personal insults lol.

Regardless, by your logic: "minimum savings should be disregarded, but reduced clutch wear is something we should watch out for"
i think you need to really decide deep down if you're going to care about the small things or not. Do you want to look at the big picture of small picture? Either you should regard all small details or disregard everything and just drive normally.
You didnt get my meaning obviously. It's not worth it for such a minimal gas saving, to put yourself and other motorists in danger by popping into neutral on highway speed. Whatever your financial gain on the MPG will be offset by your throw out bearing and your clutch plate as they will wear out faster, hence it's not worth it, as mentioned in my first post.
Saibot wrote:
Mar 18th, 2013 6:13 pm
tell me. what "more" ways do you have to deal with the situation if your car is in gear vs if its not in gear besides speeding up?
Control your turning through throttle? All and all, if you have a brake paddle and a gas paddle, having both you can use is always better than having only brake in an emergency situation. If you are in neutral, you will have less control of your car than when you are in gear, all other are being equal, and thats a fact.

Anyways, I will stop here. Drive safe.
Feb 14, 2012
13 posts
1 upvote
MARKHAM
If coming up to a downhill with no red light or congestion in sight, clutch in and coast. The speed gained from coasting in idle will probably yield better fuel consumption overall compare to leaving it in gear and going into overrun fuel cut off. Although in overrun you are not using a single drop of fuel, you car will slow down too fast so you'll have to get back on gas earlier. Especially true on high compression engines.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7554 posts
1334 upvotes
Momentum keeps the car running if you stay in gear with no gas, Going to neutral uses gas to keep the engine running. Although there a bit more "Weight" in gear ...I'd say usage difference is pretty close to zero
Jun 23, 2005
684 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
johnmikes wrote:
Mar 18th, 2013 2:43 pm
I'm more concerned with driving smoothly. My main goal is to drive the car to feel like an automatic,
I don't enjoy a jumpy nauseous ride, and i have yet to learn how to downshift to a standstill without the car being "jumpy",
to save gas i try to shift gears slightly over 2000rpm, or at 2000rpm, with the only time i go over 2500rpm is when doing 110-115 on 5th gear (i don't have a 6th).
when approaching an intersection i usually shift to neutral, and coast, while using the breaks if i need to stop. Once i reach the intersection i pop it into first, clutch down ready to go.
If traffic moves before i get to a complete stop, i pop it into the right gear (usually 2nd or 3rd) depending on the speed and continue driving.

so far (been driving for around a month) I've been able to get slightly under the posted mileage for my car.

anyone have any tips on how to engine brake/downshift smoothly?
You get better millage for getting your manual into the highest gear per speed than granny shifting it at 2000rpm. eg: if going 40km/hr get into 3rd as soon as possible, 60km/hr get into 4th, etc.

Are you rev-matching your downshifts by blipping the throttle over 3000rpm? Should be smooth once you start doing that right.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2009
1964 posts
123 upvotes
Center of the Univer…
kennyluo wrote:
Mar 18th, 2013 8:12 pm
You didnt get my meaning obviously. It's not worth it for such a minimal gas saving, to put yourself and other motorists in danger by popping into neutral on highway speed. Whatever your financial gain on the MPG will be offset by your throw out bearing and your clutch plate as they will wear out faster, hence it's not worth it, as mentioned in my first post.

Control your turning through throttle? All and all, if you have a brake paddle and a gas paddle, having both you can use is always better than having only brake in an emergency situation. If you are in neutral, you will have less control of your car than when you are in gear, all other are being equal, and thats a fact.

Anyways, I will stop here. Drive safe.

So you're saying the best thing to do in an emergency situation is to drift around an obstacle.

OK.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17268 posts
1636 upvotes
Space for rent
w4x wrote:
Mar 18th, 2013 11:43 pm
You get better millage for getting your manual into the highest gear per speed than granny shifting it at 2000rpm. eg: if going 40km/hr get into 3rd as soon as possible, 60km/hr get into 4th, etc.

Are you rev-matching your downshifts by blipping the throttle over 3000rpm? Should be smooth once you start doing that right.
I don't do the fancy heel and toe thing; I just tap the gas throw my gear lower and then I release the clutch. I know there's a technique called double clutching but that to me is the same as heel and toe which is to say making something simple more complicated,