None
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
1882 posts
1066 upvotes
Markham
masarwar wrote:
May 26th, 2015 6:09 pm
Hi everyone, I have been learning back on manual transmission for past month now. I have a few questions:

1. When slowing down my car wont let me go into first gear until or unless i am near stopping or less than 10 kmph. Is this normal? on complete stop the gear goes to first like silk. Is this normal?
2. Is it safe to put car into 5th gear in speeds around 60-70 kmph? I find in 5th gear crusing is fine on the speed but acceleration is not.
3. What speeds do you guys normally cruise in gear at? for me is this:

1 st gear 0-20/30
2 nd gear 30-50
3rd gear 50-70
4th gear 70-100
5th gear 100+

Some times in the city over 60 isnt an option so i set it to 5th gear at 60-70 range.
1) Yes that's normal, some gearboxes have a 1st gear lock out so that you won't downshift to 1st. The only time you'll ever want to downshift into 1st is if the speeds you're traveling at would cause 2nd to lug the engine.
2) Usually your top gear is an overdrive gear and when cruising you want to be in top gear to lower engine noise and maximize the fuel economy. If you need to overtake while cruising, change down a gear, pass whatever you wanted to pass and then change up afterwards.
3) It usually depends on a hill but if I'm cruising around the city then I change into 2nd in the 15 km/h range, 3rd at about 30, 4th about 40, 5th about 50 and 6th at about 65. Things change if I go highway speeds where I'm in 4th at about 70, 5th depending on how fast or slow the person is in front of me about 80-90 and only change into 6th once I'm over 100. Each gearbox is different, how I change gears in the FRS differs from the way I did it on my Impreza.
Feb 3, 2011
297 posts
63 upvotes
Markham
Supercooled wrote:
Mar 19th, 2013 9:27 am

I don't know if I would attempt to do it without the aid of the clutch.
Thanks for posting this. Have been trying to figure it out without the internet - I must have been crazy.

I don't understand the point of the downshifting, though. He's still using the clutch. I know for a short amount of time, but still...