• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2017 3:40 pm
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
22 posts
13 upvotes

Manual transmission rant

Current: ford fusion with 5spd manual

Potential replacements: Too many to list!

I've been driving stick for the past 2 years and while it started out fun, it's now becoming more of a chore. Sitting in GTA traffic and wearing dress shoes does not allow for a fun experience. The only time I still enjoy driving manual is when I have a day off (only once a week). The other times I'm usually tired and simply trying to get home.

If/when I have to replace this car, I am strongly considering buying a boring auto. However, part of me thinks I am not 100% ready to give up the manual - If I did I would probably lust after a manual again. I wish I could own one auto and one fun manual however this isn't feasible right now (only one parking spot); I also don't have enough free time to enjoy the fun car.

Has anyone else been in this scenario?
152 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7333 posts
2297 upvotes
Toronto
Dress shoes as in Heels?

Anywho, why not upgrade to a Mustang auto trans? You can use the Standard Auto Trans.
papermate2 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 10:02 am
Current: ford fusion with 5spd manual

Potential replacements: Too many to list!

I've been driving stick for the past 2 years and while it started out fun, it's now becoming more of a chore. Sitting in GTA traffic and wearing dress shoes does not allow for a fun experience. The only time I still enjoy driving manual is when I have a day off (only once a week). The other times I'm usually tired and simply trying to get home.

If/when I have to replace this car, I am strongly considering buying a boring auto. However, part of me thinks I am not 100% ready to give up the manual - If I did I would probably lust after a manual again. I wish I could own one auto and one fun manual however this isn't feasible right now (only one parking spot); I also don't have enough free time to enjoy the fun car.

Has anyone else been in this scenario?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
1638 posts
613 upvotes
Montreal
I switch from manual to auto last years after 10 years of sitting in traffic, while it was fun when not in traffic, I don't miss inching forward while tired and just want to get to the destination. Maybe when I have time and money for a spare car, I'll get a Miata or BRZ.
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 10:07 am
Dress shoes as in Heels?

Anywho, why not upgrade to a Mustang auto trans? You can use the Standard Auto Trans.
Just not the same, my current car has paddle shifters and I never use it except for engine brake. For this reason I'll never get a DSG even though it has clutch.
Last edited by jzmtl on Jul 11th, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
13479 posts
3202 upvotes
Ottawa
Driving in the city is definitely not fun, especially in gridlock; stop and go.
Dec 10, 2007
119 posts
59 upvotes
Arviat
Maybe get a more fun manual car?

I just love the way a car pulls in manual and how you're in control of the car instead of the other way around.
If you haven't got your health, then you haven't got anything.
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
13479 posts
3202 upvotes
Ottawa
ellesdad wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 10:24 am
Maybe get a more fun manual car?

I just love the way a car pulls in manual and how you're in control of the car instead of the other way around.
More details please?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
26956 posts
3456 upvotes
Ottawa
I had standard vehicle for decades but like you, got very tired of sitting in traffic and shifting and clutching. Ended up getting a car with paddle shifts but that was just fooling yourself into thinking you got a standard and rarely used it (perhaps if it was Porsche or similar you would use it more but really as a city driver it was useless).
So, bottom line is ya gotta do what is best for you in your situation, and unfortunately an automatic transmission is best.
Oh, if you get a car that has the auto shut off (like my Mercedes was), it can be a real PIA in stop and go on the highway (and even worse in city light to light traffic).
You know what is best for your so....bite the bullet and get an auto :)
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7377 posts
1618 upvotes
Toronto
I don't mind driving manual in the city at all but I can see the advantages of auto. I don't have a dislike for either, but if you are looking at auto, perhaps something with paddle shifters would make the drive more enjoyable instead of just putting the gas down.
t3359 wrote:
May 13th, 2016 9:56 am
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
22 posts
13 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 10:32 am
I had standard vehicle for decades but like you, got very tired of sitting in traffic and shifting and clutching. Ended up getting a car with paddle shifts but that was just fooling yourself into thinking you got a standard and rarely used it (perhaps if it was Porsche or similar you would use it more but really as a city driver it was useless).
So, bottom line is ya gotta do what is best for you in your situation, and unfortunately an automatic transmission is best.
Oh, if you get a car that has the auto shut off (like my Mercedes was), it can be a real PIA in stop and go on the highway (and even worse in city light to light traffic).
You know what is best for your so....bite the bullet and get an auto :)
I always thought auto start/stop was a feature you could turn off as needed?
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
22 posts
13 upvotes
I recently drove a 2017/18 BMW 330 autotransmission (I believe it has a ZF 8 speed). Lightning fast shifts but not engaging. The engagement is what I would miss most about an autotrans. Though, I guess you have to compromise somewhere.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2006
1680 posts
160 upvotes
I am in the same boat, I love manual but with the amount of cars on the road increasing every year it just does't make sense anymore. Traffic is part of everyday life for me.
Some people meditate, I smoke cigars.
Jan 22, 2015
532 posts
139 upvotes
Just keep 2 cars, one manual and one auto.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7201 posts
584 upvotes
Markham
Don't get a manual car if you have to deal with traffic commute everyday.
Your rant is not valid. It is not manual tranny's fault. It just doesn't fit your daily life style.

Go trade it for an automatic car and let someone else enjoy driving the manual car. (although the fun is limited on a Ford Fusion, lol)

I drive manual cars since I got my driver license and drove manual for 19 years until I get my first SUV after I got married.
One day, I will go back to manual.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5366 posts
611 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
It depends on the car/transmission.

The Hondas I've owned have all been light, fun and easy to operate (Civic, Accord, Prelude - and I live/work in Toronto).

My current cars: Miata/Accord, are great in manual.
However, my old Pontiac Vibe (5-speed) and a VW Polo (rental in Iceland) would have both benefited from an auto tranny.

My suggestion would be - buy a fun practical car with stick (Accord/Civic/Mazda 3/6) or a fun car that MUST be driven in stick or you are missing the point of driving it (Miata/BRZ/FRS)
Dec 10, 2007
119 posts
59 upvotes
Arviat
vkizzle wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 10:29 am
More details please?
Let's just say it's the sheer driving experience. ;)
You get instantaneous pull staying in gear whereas an auto car would override you and shift on its own even in (semi) manual mode.
If you haven't got your health, then you haven't got anything.