Manual transmission rant

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2017 3:40 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1560 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have always wondered if some transmission company can design a completely manual tranny with an optional Gear 1 + 2 automatic. So while sitting in traffic, you'll switch to auto, where it can choose between 1st and 2nd gear while crawling. For all other scenarios, you can switch back to a true manual.

I bet it'd be heavy as hell, and if German, it'll be unreliable as hell too. But if someone can invent it, that'd be my next car.
Dec 14, 2015
50 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
i am a die hard manual fan and swore i would never get anything but. Then kids came along and i sold the STI and got a minivan. Minivans dont come in manual, and now that i got used to it i cant get rid of it.
Here was my solution. I got a 30 year old car (E30) for my fun days. The cost was relatively cheap, the insurance on a classic car is around $120/year and over all its a blast to keep for sunny days. I would say get a miata and get classic insurance and enjoy it. I say miata because i had a 90s one with 300+k on it, its pretty much documented that its the most reliable car in history.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
20974 posts
7800 upvotes
Ottawa
ellesdad wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 11:41 am
Let's just say it's the sheer driving experience. ;)
You get instantaneous pull staying in gear whereas an auto car would override you and shift on its own even in (semi) manual mode.
Ah, gotcha...that feeling you get from revving until the fuel cuts off.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1077 posts
574 upvotes
Gooooooood. Gooooooooooood. Join the darkside of auto. We used to have cookies, then 96% of drivers came over and took them all...we but have lazy driving so that's a thing...
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
9578 posts
3909 upvotes
Richmond Hill
In for the shit show, this will be 50 pages long.

I have a simple solution. Have a weekend toy that is not practical ( remember it's a toy) and a daily driver that is boring as hell (auto).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8792 posts
775 upvotes
Toronto
papermate2 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 10:50 am
I always thought auto start/stop was a feature you could turn off as needed?
That's what I was able to do in my Cherokee.

Then again, that vehicle had so many electrical problems that it never worked most of the time because the battery was always in charging mode. Even a 2 hour drive each way wasn't enough.
May 31, 2006
41 posts
14 upvotes
Or leave big gaps in stop-n-go traffic to reduce amount of shifting and improve traffic flow. You'll have to endure more than a few middle fingers from aggressive and ungrateful drivers though.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4216 posts
187 upvotes
Peterborough
I currently drive manual and the next car I'm eyeing a manual again. It's definitely a pain when sitting in traffic especially when I have to do it close to 1 hour each way. However I'm not ready to go auto just yet....

The other downside is that I'm very limited in the choices of a new car if it has to be manual.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10346 posts
1122 upvotes
Get a motorcycle and auto car. You'll get all the shifting fun on you motorcycle and easy commute... and it fits in 1 parking space!

My last 3 cars, I went from manual to manual to auto. Working downtown Toronto, it's just a chore to have a manual car.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1528 posts
410 upvotes
yang wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 1:36 pm
Or leave big gaps in stop-n-go traffic to reduce amount of shifting and improve traffic flow. You'll have to endure more than a few middle fingers from aggressive and ungrateful drivers though.
Not only that, everybody from the adjacent lanes will keep jumping in when they see the gap
Oct 29, 2009
497 posts
190 upvotes
Manual transmission suck in heavy traffic. What a shocking discovery! :).

I love manuals (I have owned 5 manual vehicles, no automatics) but if I was sitting in stop-and-go traffic everyday I would never have one. It is a poor choice for that application.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1560 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto, ON
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 1:54 pm
Get a motorcycle and auto car. You'll get all the shifting fun on you motorcycle and easy commute... and it fits in 1 parking space!

My last 3 cars, I went from manual to manual to auto. Working downtown Toronto, it's just a chore to have a manual car.
Working downtown, it's a chore to have any car.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8792 posts
775 upvotes
Toronto
Tha_Doggg wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 1:49 pm
I currently drive manual and the next car I'm eyeing a manual again. It's definitely a pain when sitting in traffic especially when I have to do it close to 1 hour each way. However I'm not ready to go auto just yet....

The other downside is that I'm very limited in the choices of a new car if it has to be manual.
I went from auto for 9 years to manual, learnt on a 2010 Civic Coupe. Went back to auto and now back to 6spd on the new civic hatchback. Never want to go back. The only time I got annoyed with it was when I went to a concert in May and it was stop and go the whole way there for 2.5 hours
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7237 posts
5489 upvotes
Oakville
canoek wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 11:46 am
I have always wondered if some transmission company can design a completely manual tranny with an optional Gear 1 + 2 automatic. So while sitting in traffic, you'll switch to auto, where it can choose between 1st and 2nd gear while crawling. For all other scenarios, you can switch back to a true manual.

I bet it'd be heavy as hell, and if German, it'll be unreliable as hell too. But if someone can invent it, that'd be my next car.
Actually the E46 M3 SMG transmission was basically an automatically shifted version of the 6 spd manual. Theoretically you could add a clutch pedal, shift lever and an auto/manual toggle switch and use either mode. It was a cool tranny at the time but shifts were harsh compared to newer DSGs and the SMG pump relay wasn't reliable.
Doughboy504 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 12:28 pm
i am a die hard manual fan and swore i would never get anything but. Then kids came along and i sold the STI and got a minivan. Minivans dont come in manual, and now that i got used to it i cant get rid of it.
Here was my solution. I got a 30 year old car (E30) for my fun days. The cost was relatively cheap, the insurance on a classic car is around $120/year and over all its a blast to keep for sunny days. I would say get a miata and get classic insurance and enjoy it. I say miata because i had a 90s one with 300+k on it, its pretty much documented that its the most reliable car in history.
No full size minivan comes in manual, but he Mazda5 still does. +1 for the E30 weekend car though :)
yang wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 1:36 pm
+1, I'm still driving in GTA traffic with my manual trans with 230k KM on the clutch. The key is just to keep it in one gear and idle along, just like the semi trucks. Sure some douches will cut you off when you leave a little gap but that's only gonna take 40 seconds from your commute. No need to road rage at that. I find it easier than an auto trans because you don't have to use the brakes as much due to engine braking. When I drive my wife's auto trans I hate having to use the brake so much.
I also hate the throttle lag with auto transmissions, especially when paired to a turbo engine like so many these days. You hit the throttle, not much happens so you push a little more, then the turbo kicks in and the slushbox builds torque and you take off way more than you wanted to. It has a manual mode that I try to use for downshifts, but with the torque converter the effect is much less and shifts are harsh.
Sep 18, 2007
62 posts
8 upvotes
I had been driving stick in the GTA for the past decade and traffic never bothered me. What is your driving habit?

For years my friends have been saying clutching in traffic is a chore to your left leg, which I agree to some extent if you are used to holding it everytime you stop. Whereas for me I always revert to neutral every time I stop so I don't have to hold it. This is supposed to be good for the clutch as well (dealers were surprised to find a lot of life remaining in mine after 8 years of driving).

Yeah you have to shift more but isn't this the point of buying a stick at the first place?