• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2017 3:40 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2007
1539 posts
346 upvotes
hoob wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 7:28 pm
I've never understood people who whinge that driving a manual "in traffic" is annoying.

Whenever driving stick it's innate, I'm barely even aware of when I shift. It's not like it's a conscious burden I'm actively aware of, it's all muscle memory and patterns.

It's like people complaining about breathing. I mean unless you have an active medical condition like asthma, it's not like you have to actively think about what you're doing.
I've been driving manual for 20 years and find it tiring. Still wouldn't trade for an auto, but let's be real.

Try inching up a hill with a lightweight flywheel and a grabby clutch.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7393 posts
1635 upvotes
Toronto
Doughboy504 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 12:28 pm
i am a die hard manual fan and swore i would never get anything but. Then kids came along and i sold the STI and got a minivan. Minivans dont come in manual, and now that i got used to it i cant get rid of it.
Here was my solution. I got a 30 year old car (E30) for my fun days. The cost was relatively cheap, the insurance on a classic car is around $120/year and over all its a blast to keep for sunny days. I would say get a miata and get classic insurance and enjoy it. I say miata because i had a 90s one with 300+k on it, its pretty much documented that its the most reliable car in history.
Actually, you're wrong there. You just have to go back about 2 decades. :)
t3359 wrote:
May 13th, 2016 9:56 am
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7393 posts
1635 upvotes
Toronto
Doughboy504 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 9:40 am
Your are right and look what googled found !
Turbo Dodge Caravan in manual - http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1073 ... er-minivan
lol, I actually drove the Plymouth, I think it was a 92. Was awesome. I don't think I've ever seen one on the road since 96. I'm assuming they all grenaded by now. Imagine putting a 85mm ham on that, lol.
t3359 wrote:
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
2995 posts
1662 upvotes
GTA
HugsNotDrugs wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 1:41 am
I've been driving manual for 20 years and find it tiring. Still wouldn't trade for an auto, but let's be real.

Try inching up a hill with a lightweight flywheel and a grabby clutch.
Fortunately there aren't many hills with traffic in Toronto. The only place that was a pain for me was being stuck in Bathurst hill traffic. Too steep to idle along in gear so just left big gaps. Nobody freaked out at me for that.

That said, when I first start driving in TO with a manual my left leg did get sore at times, but I eventually built up strength and improved my technique.
sf1 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 1:46 am
for those who are suggesting coasting on 1st/2nd in traffic with minimum use of brakes,
the car behind you wouldn't be seeing any braking light and inexperience (or tired) drivers who follow too close may rear end your car.
As dumb a most drivers are, they're not so dumb that they can't tell the car in front of them is slowing down even if the brake lights are off. The cars are only going less than 50kph. I've never had an incident and never heard of anyone being rear ended due to engine braking.
Have you ever heard of an engine braking car being rear ended? Semi trucks also engine brake quite often.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
2995 posts
1662 upvotes
GTA
koffey wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 9:24 am
Actually, you're wrong there. You just have to go back about 2 decades. :)
I believe the Mazda5 is still sold with a manual as well.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7393 posts
1635 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 9:48 am
I believe the Mazda5 is still sold with a manual as well.
I didn't realise that the M5 was referred to as a mini-van much like the Orlando compact mpv as supposed to mini-van. But I guess you are technically right.

When I hear mini-van, I think of Ford Windstars, Voyagers, etc...
t3359 wrote:
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
2995 posts
1662 upvotes
GTA
koffey wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 9:59 am
I didn't realise that the M5 was referred to as a mini-van much like the Orlando compact mpv as supposed to mini-van. But I guess you are technically right.

When I hear mini-van, I think of Ford Windstars, Voyagers, etc...
Well it has sliding doors so I would consider it a minivan. I bet it's close to the size of the original Caravan/Voyager as well.
May 21, 2013
678 posts
239 upvotes
Montreal
What a lot of my friends do around here is Monday-Friday they have the boring family car for work. But nice sunny evenings or weekends they will have the fun stick car for windy roads. Typically you think two cars how deep can your pockets go but, the market is huge to find a cheap fun stick car. Out of my group of friends I have guys with older Fiats, Miatas, all the way to more recent S2000s. Personally if it was up to me, I would have a older GTI to play around on weekends with.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4448 posts
728 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
It took me forever to find the car I wanted with a manual transmission. In high performance vehicles the autos are much quicker than a human shifting. In horrid traffic it's not a dealbreaker for myself to shift all the time but when you're tired after a long day at work, sometimes it does get old.

In a perfect world somewhat like others mentioned, I'd have a practical vehicle and a fun vehicle. But the chore one would have to be something like a stupid fast SUV to make up for the lack of engagement.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
3432 posts
7 upvotes
Scarborough
EP32k2 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 1:09 pm
In for the shit show, this will be 50 pages long.

I have a simple solution. Have a weekend toy that is not practical ( remember it's a toy) and a daily driver that is boring as hell (auto).
This is what I did! My slightly (I/H/E/FP) modded civic si for whenever I just want to have fun, and just picked up an electric focus for commuting and other chores - doesn't hurt that it doesn't cost me any gas either! And the si is still pretty practical in terms of consumption. It's no M, but it's still got some kick.

I've told myself I'll always own a manual. Even if my long commutes in traffic continue forever, I'll always hope to own a manual car to have some fun with. Who knows...
Contests entered: Too Many...
Contests won: 3
Biggest Win:
-Xbox 360 From Pepsi - Oct. 21, 2006 (7:00PM-7:59PM CST Draw :D )
CHECK OUT MY 100% POSITIVE HoFo FEEDBACK
CHECK OUT MY 100% POSITIVE Heatware FEEDBACK
*NEW*CHECK OUT MY 100% POSITIVE RFD FEEDBACK
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
2995 posts
1662 upvotes
GTA
FirstGear wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 11:31 am
It took me forever to find the car I wanted with a manual transmission. In high performance vehicles the autos are much quicker than a human shifting. In horrid traffic it's not a dealbreaker for myself to shift all the time but when you're tired after a long day at work, sometimes it does get old.

In a perfect world somewhat like others mentioned, I'd have a practical vehicle and a fun vehicle. But the chore one would have to be something like a stupid fast SUV to make up for the lack of engagement.
The perfect family hauler... R63 AMG, 500+ HP wagon/pseudo-minivan.

Last edited by engineered on Jul 12th, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 14, 2002
778 posts
146 upvotes
FirstGear wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 11:31 am

I wouldn't give it up. maybe there's a clutch/master cylinder kit that provides a lighter clutch pedal?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4448 posts
728 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
engineered wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 12:30 pm
The perfect family hauler... R63 AMG, 600+ HP wagon/pseudo-minivan.

Never seen one... did they never come to North America ?

Here the most common Germans you see are X5s, X6s, Q5, Q7, cayennes, Macans, GLE class, GL class, G Wagons... people in Alberta truck country believe that if it's not big and high off the ground with AWD/4x4 = instant death. Big SUVs and trucks = much of the vehicle population. It's funny because most of the $150K+ vehicles you actually do see are G Wagons and Cayenne Turbos.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
2995 posts
1662 upvotes
GTA
dantey wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 12:37 pm
I wouldn't give it up. maybe there's a clutch/master cylinder kit that provides a lighter clutch pedal?
I actually got an aftermarket clutch pedal for my E46 from Mason Engineering. With my long legs the stock clutch pedal always felt too high with too long a throw. This pedal lowers the engagement point and tightens the bushing.
http://masonengineering.net/Subpages/Ot ... oducts.htm
FirstGear wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 12:52 pm
Never seen one... did they never come to North America ?

Here the most common Germans you see are X5s, X6s, Q5, Q7, cayennes, Macans, GLE class, GL class, G Wagons... people in Alberta truck country believe that if it's not big and high off the ground with AWD/4x4 = instant death. Big SUVs and trucks = much of the vehicle population. It's funny because most of the $150K+ vehicles you actually do see are G Wagons and Cayenne Turbos.
They did come to NA but not many. I think I've seen one in the GTA.

G Wagons are hilarious as an idea, but they are one of the worst handling/comfortable SUVs out there. The flip side is that they are very capable off-road (as long as they don't have 22in summer tires on).