• Jul 20th, 2017 3:40 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2006
7543 posts
1655 upvotes
Richmond Hill
engineered wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 1:00 pm
I actually got an aftermarket clutch pedal for my E46 from Mason Engineering. With my long legs the stock clutch pedal always felt too high with too long a throw. This pedal lowers the engagement point and tightens the bushing.
http://masonengineering.net/Subpages/Ot ... oducts.htm

They did come to NA but not many. I think I've seen one in the GTA.

G Wagons are hilarious as an idea, but they are one of the worst handling/comfortable SUVs out there. The flip side is that they are very capable off-road (as long as they don't have 22in summer tires on).
R class is one of the ugliest cars on the road.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7722 posts
445 upvotes
hoob wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 7:28 pm
I've never understood people who whinge that driving a manual "in traffic" is annoying.

Whenever driving stick it's innate, I'm barely even aware of when I shift. It's not like it's a conscious burden I'm actively aware of, it's all muscle memory and patterns.

It's like people complaining about breathing. I mean unless you have an active medical condition like asthma, it's not like you have to actively think about what you're doing.
Fully agree with you. Been driving standard pretty much since day 1. There's no active thought to the physical effort or coordination of driving stick. Mrs and I both drive standard daily and don't think anything of it... And we have kids.

We see no need to compromise a fun car when you have a family. Mrs car is a 6sp turbo... With 4 doors so it's perfect for kids and the awd makes winters safe and easy :)
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
2972 posts
1643 upvotes
GTA
EP32k2 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 1:51 pm
R class is one of the ugliest cars on the road.
Agreed that's it's not a pretty car, though I'd argue most of Honda's line-up is some of the ugliest cars recently.
R63 AMG is about the ridiculousness of having 500+ HP in a boring pseudo-minivan body. I'd also suggest the the Renault Espace F1
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
22 posts
13 upvotes
FirstGear wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 11:31 am
It took me forever to find the car I wanted with a manual transmission. In high performance vehicles the autos are much quicker than a human shifting. In horrid traffic it's not a dealbreaker for myself to shift all the time but when you're tired after a long day at work, sometimes it does get old.

In a perfect world somewhat like others mentioned, I'd have a practical vehicle and a fun vehicle. But the chore one would have to be something like a stupid fast SUV to make up for the lack of engagement.
M235i?
May 28, 2017
37 posts
18 upvotes
My technique is for going through traffic is simply keeping a 3-car distance in 1st or 2nd gear (sometimes I wish I had a "1.5 gear" for traffic) and tapping my accelerator, i barely have to use the clutch, I do get overtaken by impatient individuals but it doesn't bother me, we usually get to our destinations at the same time anyway....
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
10903 posts
1299 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
papermate2 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 10:55 am
I recently drove a 2017/18 BMW 330 autotransmission (I believe it has a ZF 8 speed). Lightning fast shifts but not engaging. The engagement is what I would miss most about an autotrans. Though, I guess you have to compromise somewhere.
This generation of BMW 3 series hasn't been very engaging to drive. There are better cars out there that are more engaging and fun to drive.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4443 posts
726 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
geokilla wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 3:05 pm
This generation of BMW 3 series hasn't been very engaging to drive. There are better cars out there that are more engaging and fun to drive.
Agreed, the newer ones are more catered to the average person. Steering and feel has been numbed down, but overall drive is smoother.. older bmws offered more raw road feel and "felt" faster even if they weren't.

I've driven the E30, E36, E46, E93, F83s. Owned an E36, E93, now a F83. E36 was old feeling, steered heavy, shifted rough. But you could really feel the road and felt like a go kart. Was an awesome first car. Didn't have that much power but it felt otherwise. The E93 (335i special ed) felt like you just pressed a turbo button in a video game every time you punched it. Had some of the go kart feel on it and steering was still heavy, but a much more comfortable ride and newer feeling in the interior. Jumping to the F83 wasn't as dramatic, but steering is soft and numb. Turbo lag is not as noticeable. But cabin/hardtop is even noisier. You can feel the grunt of the higher powered motor for sure, but it doesn't have that old school road feel as much. Suspension not comfortable, though understandably it's a M rather than a cruiser.

Porsche is where it is at if you can afford one. Somehow they can make low powered cars very enjoyable to drive. Not a fan of the Flat 4s on the lower budget spectrum. If it weren't for my M I got a deal on and some idiot destroying my 335, my only DD, I'd be in a Boxster or Cayman S. I had to have a manual at the time so Macan S/GTS was out of the question.
Last edited by FirstGear on Jul 12th, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5364 posts
656 upvotes
Mississauga
papermate2 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 10:02 am
Current: ford fusion with 5spd manual

Potential replacements: Too many to list!

I've been driving stick for the past 2 years and while it started out fun, it's now becoming more of a chore. Sitting in GTA traffic and wearing dress shoes does not allow for a fun experience. The only time I still enjoy driving manual is when I have a day off (only once a week). The other times I'm usually tired and simply trying to get home.

If/when I have to replace this car, I am strongly considering buying a boring auto. However, part of me thinks I am not 100% ready to give up the manual - If I did I would probably lust after a manual again. I wish I could own one auto and one fun manual however this isn't feasible right now (only one parking spot); I also don't have enough free time to enjoy the fun car.

Has anyone else been in this scenario?
I think most of us have. 401 bumper to bumper every day convinced me to switch to auto. Your knee will thank you in 20 years.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
2972 posts
1643 upvotes
GTA
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 3:57 pm
I think most of us have. 401 bumper to bumper every day convinced me to switch to auto. Your knee will thank you in 20 years.
I don't think pushing a clutch pedal can damage your knee. It's basically zero impact, mild leg press. It's like running where you have impact forces.
May 28, 2017
37 posts
18 upvotes
I don't think people realize that the way you drive a manual transmission is not (NOT!) the same way you drive an automatic transmission in bumper to bumper traffic. I move later, only after there is enough space so that I can take off without disengaging the clutch again very quickly (in other words, I don't worry about the driver in front of me moving 1 metre to keep as close to the car in front of them as possible).

Also as I said above, I leave more space than I would in an auto. My dad has driven manual for 30+ years through a lot of stop and go traffic and hasn't had any complaints....
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11029 posts
1245 upvotes
FirstGear wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 3:52 pm
Smiling Face With Open Mouth

M4 cab.
He smart by buying the right transmission.......
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5364 posts
656 upvotes
Mississauga
engineered wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 4:27 pm
I don't think pushing a clutch pedal can damage your knee. It's basically zero impact, mild leg press. It's like running where you have impact forces.
I will have to disagree. I gave up driving stick because of the knee pain. I switched to automatic and after roughly a month the pain slowly went away.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5364 posts
656 upvotes
Mississauga
Ends67 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 4:28 pm
I don't think people realize that the way you drive a manual transmission is not (NOT!) the same way you drive an automatic transmission in bumper to bumper traffic. I move later, only after there is enough space so that I can take off without disengaging the clutch again very quickly (in other words, I don't worry about the driver in front of me moving 1 metre to keep as close to the car in front of them as possible).

Also as I said above, I leave more space than I would in an auto. My dad has driven manual for 30+ years through a lot of stop and go traffic and hasn't had any complaints....
In normal traffic that is a good idea but in bumper tp bumper traffic on the 401 you would get nowhere fast leaving gaps and the idiots that think 3 inches is enough to cut you off and take the space.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11029 posts
1245 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 5:03 pm
I will have to disagree. I gave up driving stick because of the knee pain. I switched to automatic and after roughly a month the pain slowly went away.
i wood disagree. why do grannies in europe drive manual?